“Over Rated”

Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Connecticut
“Over Rated”
Reviewed April 17, 2007

We stayed at this hotel due to it's proximity to CMU. Add in the fact that you get a two bedroom for around $100/night and I was hooked. When am I going to learn you get what you pay for? These are very old buildings without central air so they put room air conditioners in the windows. They don't take them out when it's cold outside, so the noise from the street and the cold come right in. There are no thermostats in the rooms so it was a challenge sleeping between the traffic and the cold. The second bedroom was very small but because there was no window air conditioner in this room, it stayed warm and the noise wasn't as bad. The comforter on our bed was very thin and didn't offer a lot of warmth. The carpeting in our unit was white and as such, high lighted scuff and dirt marks. The walls had been painted over too many times and the doors were hard to close because of it. As previously mentioned, there is no breakfast and the goody bag they give you at check-in is sorely lacking. The bathroom was tiny and the TV didn't have a sleep timer. So were there any positives? The location was excellent and off-street parking was included in the price.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Street noise, no thermostat, no elevators, no 24 hour front desk, no breakfast buffet, tiny bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank bob_96

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2007

After reading some very positive reviews of this property, I made a note of it as a possible place to stay. We were not sure how far we were going to travel each day, so we were not in a position to book ahead. The price given online was $69 a night, but when we arrived and asked for a room, we were told it was $99, because $69 was their web-only price. You would expect that a price quoted online would be somewhat indicative of the actual cost. I had expected to have to maybe pay a little more, but nearly 50% more was quite outrageous. The problems only began there. First, this hotel has a number of buildings scattered around the neighborhood. The one where the office was located looked quite nice, but the building we were allocated was run down and seedy looking. It appeared to be an old college dormitory in need of repair. The furniture was cheap and tacky and the carpet dirty. The room was so noisy at night that it sounded like the traffic was running right through the room. The pillows were rock hard. We barely slept. Add to this the fact that they don't serve breakfast, then this was very poor value indeed. They did give us a bag of stuff for breakfast, but it was totally inadequate to feed two people. We used the tea & coffee in it that night (there was none in the room), so we had none for breakfast. We were unable to locate anywhere nearby to buy regular breakfast food, so we ended up going without. Not a good experience all round. I would only ever stay there again if I was paying the lower rate and was staying in the better building (with a room at the back, not on the street).

• Liked — Extra space
  • Disliked — Noise. Price. Quality of furnishings. No breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank aussiehughes
Philly
Reviewed January 17, 2007

I found the inn staff accomodating and helpful right from the start: I called for a studio suite, but they had none available, so gave me a one-bedroom at a studio rate.

I was in their Negley Ave building, just down the street from many shops and restaurants. The location was safe and lovely to walk. The building was quiet and private. My suite was room-y and comfortable, with a queen size bed, two televisions, a fully equipped kitchen. (If you'll be there a couple days, be sure to run down to the wonderful Shadyside Market on Walnut St to stock your fridge!)

Only thing I wasn't thrilled with is that housekeeping is not daily, and when she came, it seemed the only thing she did was make the bed and leave fresh towels.

Price was excellent for the room and the location.

• Liked — Location, privacy, space
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank LisaAC
Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We could not be more pleased with our stay at the Shadyside Inn. The accommodations were confortable and roomy. The staff was cordial. It was like a home away from home. We would recommend this inn to anyone!!!!!! We will go back again!!!

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank gloriajstitcher
Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2006

I felt like I was trying to sleep ON Fifth Avenue. My pillow was actually only a few yards from the street and the noise was ceaseless and loud. They have installed window air conditioners and not much effort was put into properly sealing the windows around the units. Besides the traffic noise, there were helicopters, ambulances, accidents. Yes, we were “awakened” by a loud crash just outside our window at 7 am.

The second night, we bought earplugs at a Rite-Aid on Walnut Street. They were simple styrofoam earplugs and cost $4.15. It seems that ridiculously high prices have affected EVERY store on Walnut Street.

The website states that patrons receive: 1 complimentary pass to health club, but when we checked in, we were told to show our key at the health club and they would offer us a discount. I paid $7 per person, per day to use the “complimentary” health club.

Nice price, though; and, a nice area of Pittsburgh. Great art museum.

• Stayed December 2006
1 Thank Mikebebop
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 7, 2006

The Shadyside Inn in Pittburgh, Pa is the loveliest boutique hotel I've ever stayed in. With great staff service and unbelievable privacy, it was worth every penny. I felt as though I was at the home of a good friend. Very welcoming and warm. I highly recommend staying there.

• Liked — Overall look and feel
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Coco2006
New York
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I stayed at the Shady Side Inn last month while in town visiting some friends. The general feel of the place is very personable. The staff went out of their way to welcome me. Very friendly & helpful. The Inn is located within walking distance (2 blocks?) of Walnut Street, which is a quaint village like area with great shops, resturants & bars. It was perfect, because it was a no brainer in terms of where to go!! I didn't even need to drive!

I stayed in a converted browstone which was charming. The room (more like an apartment) was very large- nice sitting room, a large bedroom with a huge comfortable bed. The kitchen was also a nice size- stocked with glasses, plates, coffee etc. Basically, very convinent - much different than staying at a typical Holiday Inn type hotel.

I also liked the fact that there was free wireless!!! That was surprising & an added bonus. There was parking on site. I never had an issue with looking for an available space.

Overall, I definitely reccommend staying at the Inn. If you are looking for something a little more special & less generic than a chain hotel- stay here :)

Natalie