“Location, location, location”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Shadyside is a great part of Pittsburgh but not a lot of hotels in the area. The Shadyside Inn is not like any other hotel I ever stayed. It is a collection of older apartment buildings converted to hotel suites. Very convenient with a kitchen and a lot more room than a typical hotel room or suite. These were not luxury apartments when they were apartments and they are cleaned up but a bit dated. Bathrooms should be remodeled. Can't beat the location if you are looking to stay in Shadyside but don't expect luxury. People were very nice.

• Stayed: April 2014
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hi Eb19083,

Thanks for your feedback. The title of your review really says it all. Location is one of our biggest attributes. Less than a mile from University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, Carlow University, and the UPMC Hospital's, a short 5 minute walk to 120+ upscale shops and restaurants, and 3.5 miles from Downtown Pittsburgh. When we "centrally located" we really mean it! We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area. May I suggest trying our Signature Suites next time. I think you pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the Shadyside Inn was wonderful from start to finish. We truly felt at home from the moment we walked in the door. The suite was beautiful and had everything we needed in order to relax and enjoy some well needed family time. Our small pet did not want to leave. Even he felt at home! The front desk staff were very friendly and professional. I loved the fact that they remembered my name when I came to check out 2 days later...great customer service. We will be back....wouldnt even think about staying anywhere else....Shadyside Inn you have become our home away from home!
The only reason I did not rate 5 stars was because of the very tight parking situation, although my husband and son had no problems parking the vehicle...just my poor parking skills to blame.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hello Mary G,

Thanks for providing your feedback. I am thrilled that we were able to provide you with the space and comfort needed for an extended family visit. I am glad your puppy had a good time as well. Shadyside Inn is the proud co-founder of an animal rescue charity in Pittsburgh so our love of dogs extends beyond being a dog friendly hotel. We look forward to your return and want to let you know that we have a special third parking area next to the building for larger cars or people who need additional space. Next time just ask the front desk and we will be happy assist you in navigating to the lot.

Thanks,

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We decided to book the Shadyside Inn after reading so many positive reviews here, but were not as taken with this place as some other reviewers. We arrived after a long travel day and after negotiating a tight squeeze into the only available parking space in their tiny lot, went to check in and were told our room was in another building (F) across the street. Moved the car to their secondary lot, found our way into the building and then encountered a elevator that wouldn't open. Called the front desk and they sent a guy over to fix it who said it "only gets stuck from the outside, not the inside." After a slow, uncertain ride in the elevator, we did get to our 4th floor suite. Disappointed to find it had a faint odor to it, and that the bathroom was rather old. Next time We're in town, I'll be looking or somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank timeaway10
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello timeaway10,

Thanks for your feedback. I completely understand your frustration as spending a long day traveling and then having to shuffle to get into your hotel suite can be stressful. When we send out receipts on the booking confirmation we try and be clear if you are staying across the street you can park in either lot to checkin. We try and make this as smooth as possible and I am sorry if we couldn't make it better for you. We are always trying to streamline our procedures and come up with better ways to operate and your feedback will help us even further. Its unfortunate that as you arrived at the building the elevator reset button needed pressed. I am glad our staff was able to get over and handle that quickly. As for the slight odor in your suite we are trying to identify what it could have been. Our cleaning log showed that your suite was one of the last to be cleaned that day and I am wondering if the cleaning product reminants were still lingering when you arrived. For that I am sorry. Our positive reviews are a reflection of our commitment to going to any lengths to make each guests stay enjoyable. I hope that you could reconsider and give a try again in the future. I am sure that given different circumstances you would change your mind. If I can be of any assistance to you please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is my second time staying at the Shadyside Inn Suites. Love the goodie bag you get when you arrive that has muffins, juices, candy and crackers! Lots of parking, an easy walk to shops and restaurants. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Hello Aimless58,

Thanks for providing feedback on your visit. Nothing makes us feel better about what we are doing than the validation of a guest who comes back for a repeat visit. We strive to make Shadyside Inn the best possible hotel we can be and we are committed to improving everyday. I am glad you liked the gift bag. Its nice to have a few snacks to start off your visit and we love surprising our guests with this small show of appreciation. We all look forward to having you as our guest again and we promise to keep making everything you love about us even better!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Shadyside Inn is very close to Carnegie Mellon, which is perfect if that is what you are in town for. We stayed in a mansion suite, which was comfortable and worked for us for the weekend. It could use a little TLC, the bedrooms and bathrooms were clean, but the whole suite felt a tad rundown. There is a full working kitchen which was great to use and be able to store some food and snacks. My main issue was with a person I talked to before hand at the front desk counter. I called to ask about their pet policy (they allow small dogs) and then informed her that we had not for sure decided whether we would be taking our small dog with us. To this statement she advised me "to not try and sneak in a dog because they would find out"... huh? Not the best thing to say to a customer.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi flankthree,

Thanks for being our guest and sharing your experience. I want to touch upon something in your review to clarify our policy and try and educate others. First let me apologize if there was a misunderstanding before you checked in from our front desk. From your review it looks like we did not handle explaining our dog policy clearly. Shadyside Inn loves dogs, so much so that we co-founded a an animal rescue charity called PAART. Over the years we have always maintained a liberal dog policy at the hotel. All we ask is that people let us know so we can prepare and so we can schedule a deep cleaning after they depart. The wording our front desk used made it seem harsh and I apologize if you got that impression. That was not our intention. We are planning to retrain staff to better handle this kind of exchange. I am glad you did end up bringing your dog and I hope the doggie enjoyed the space! Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Very clean, quite, fully equipped and well maintained suites (kitchenette, two TVs, Wi-Fi, heating and air conditioning...). Located at the center of Oakland, walking distance from Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, Museum of Art, etc. And most importantly - very friendly and amazingly helpful staff!

I made a mistake with my reservation and was one night short. Although they were fully booked, they let me stay in their demonstration suite for no charge! They also loan bikes and supply free shuttle services - everything you need to easily get around an unfamiliar place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Hello Shay Z,

Thanks for sharing you experience with our hotel. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you for your extra night. Thankfully the weather has finally turned around here in Pittsburgh and we are in biking season! We bought a whole new fleet of bikes over the winter and we are eager to have our guests take them out. It is such a great way to get around the neighborhood and really helps guests orient themselves. Best of all, its free! We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Take Care,

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were here last weekend to visit our son at CMU. The location was perfect for us, close to our son's apartment and a few blocks from Walnut street, full of shops and eateries. A truly great location.
The staff was friendly and extremely welcoming. Our one bedroom apartment was extremely clean and comfortable. I would recommend it to any one. I can't emphasize enough how friendly everyone was, from front desk to housekeeping, it was perfect! We'll definitely stay here next time. You can't go wrong.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hey cindyldoe,

Thanks for providing your feedback. If I could pick the best thing about our hotel its our staff. We are lucky to have team members who are both passionate about the hotel and committed to making every guest feels welcomed and a part of our family. Our central location in relation to the Universities, the Hospital, and upscale shopping are great as well but the true measure of a place is the people. Thank you for recognizing that.