“Wonderful, hospitable long term stay.”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Vancouver, Canada
“Wonderful, hospitable long term stay.”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was in Pittsburgh to help friends through a serious medical procedure at Shadyside Hospital. The Shadyside Inn had so many things going for it and I understand why people stay here for weeks.

The rooms are clean, no nasty carpet (love the hardwood) and the linens are crisp and white. The small kitchen is perfect for quick breakfasts or lunches and whenever we needed something, it was there.

The transportation in Pittsburgh is really bizarre; I actually saw very few cabs; in fact one of our entourage tried to get a cab to the airport from a different hotel that didn't show up! So it is great that the Inn offers a shuttle service, which we booked to go get groceries, the odd trip to the hospital. I have to say the drivers were so kind and compassionate; Colin and Ian. Thank you for all your help during this stressful time. While we depended on the shuttle at times, we often walked to the hospital which was only about 15 minutes.

There is an issue with the soundproofing but I live in a 1920 house so didn't notice it much but it is an older building...elevator is super slow but who cares.

I would highly recommend the Shadyside and Pittsburgh in general; one of the friendliest, beautiful cities I have ever been to.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Hello picassoinvan,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy we were able to make a stressful situation a bit easier for you and your friends. Two years ago when we were looking for new concepts for our suites we stumbled upon the idea of removing all the carpets and installing hardwood like flooring. The results were amazing. In addition to the aesthetics benefits of going 'carpet less" there is a huge sanitary benefit. Our suites can be cleaner than a normal hotel room since we have removed the major source of dirt from the units. We love the look and the positiive reaction we get from people.

In the beginning of March Uber and Lift debuted in Pittsburgh. While getting a cab in Pittsburgh has always been a challenge there is no need to rely on them anymore now that these two "smart taxi" services have arrived. Our staff has been busy trying out both services and we are happy to recommend them to our guests. Of course you can always use our free shuttle as you experienced. I am happy our drivers made a good impression. They are all eager to go above and beyond to make our guests feel special.

As a Pittsburgh resident all my life I am proud that our great city made a positive impression on you. Its a great place filled with great people. Thanks for your kind words and we can't wait to see you again.

Warmest Regards,

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The shadyside inn was great for us. The room was an appartment set up and was pretty roomy for the 4 of us. The most convenient part for us, was the free shuttle service they offered which was excellent since we didn't have a car. The shuttle driver, Pav, was super helpful giving us directions and suggestions about how to spend our last day in Pittsburgh!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom set up was more like an appartment
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hey mikeweens,

Thank you for giving us your feedback here. I am happy your group found us and could enjoy the benefits of having a two bedroom suite. Having enough space to fit everyone and still not be in each others way is one of the great benefits of our suites. Our shuttle drivers are unofficial ambassadors for Pittsburgh and love telling people about all the great spots to visit here. I am happy Pav was able to give you some quality suggestions. We look forward to your return and promise to have all kinds of new suggestions for you next time!

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The staff were terrific, great check-in experience. They offered their shuttle to drive me to a lunch meeting right away, which was nice, but I ended up driving. We were there during the awful snow, many flights cancelled. We had a two bedroom apartment for two nights, the only thing I found odd was after the first night one of the rooms had the bed made when we returned, the other seemed pulled up but not made, we had fresh towels but it was just strange that the master bed was so not made?? Anyway, not much to complain about. The elevators are SLOW. The apartment is very cozy and CLEAN. I would return again for sure. Cute bathroom.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi Annette T,

Thank you for sharing your experience being a guest at Shadyside Inn. We are happy to have made a positive impression on you during your stay. I am glad we could be a sanctuary for you during the bitter snow storm. In regards to your one bed not being made up I am going to look into that and make sure we didn't have some kind of breakdown on our end. If something was missed we are just a phone call away from correcting any problem. Our staff is eager to help make your stay enjoyable. Please contact me the next time you return so I can personally apologize for the oversight.

Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at your hotel for a month due to the hospitalization and double lung transplant for my son. His critical condition required us to obtain lodging Pittsburgh from October through February. I stayed during the week and she came up on weekends. We stayed in various hotels until a few folks back home blessed us with accommodations for a month at your hotel. I cannot tell you the difference it made to not have to pack up your suitcases, go from hotel to hotel depending on availability and to just have an apartment to go to which actually became like our home away from home. The gift snack bag in the apartment was a pleasant surprise!
Everyone was so helpful which made a huge impression on us because, at times, we were just physically and emotionally drained. The staff were all very kind and considerate. I especially appreciated the conversations with Colin and Ian on my many shuttle trips to and from UMPC.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those with family in any surrounding hospitals. We would not hesitate to stay here again and actually miss the quite and relaxing atmosphere that Shadyside Inn provides.
THANK YOU to all of your staff!!!!

Room Tip: The two bedroom works well for privacy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen A
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Hello Karen A,

First let me say that we are all so happy for you that things turned out well for your son. We understand how stressful this time can be and we are happy to have played a small part in trying to make things better for your family. I am thrilled that our staff made a positive impression on you. We are only as good as our staff and we strive to be the best that we can be. Your kind words are the talk of the office here today and put a smile on everyones face. On behalf of your friends here at the hotel we wish your son a speedy recovery and good health for years to come.

W.PA
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We used this hotel for its proximity to UPMC Shadyside Hospital. Very lovely and comfortable 2-bedroom apartment. Tastefully decorated and clean, clean, clean! Great staff. Their shuttle service was free and most appreciated! Our stay was in the coldest part of the winter, but the heated apartment was warm and cozy. Bathroom was small, but I swear the tile floor was heated! Beds, bedding, linens and towels are first-rate. Large living/dining area with serviceable kitchen. Great furniture. Newly-done wood floors were SO nice, and a quite a change from walking on old and "questionable" wall-to-wall carpeting in other hotels. A charming place to stay.

Room Tip: Just ask the desk clerk or owner there. They will take care of any questions you have regarding a r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Hello GT380185,

Thanks for the feedback! We certainty try our best to provide all the comforts of home in a suite that is newly decorated and updated for the best value. We are glad you liked our new hardwood floors. As a frequent traveler myself I jumped at the chance to remove all of the carpet in the hotel and switch to the wood. Its so much cleaner than carpet. We love it and our guests appreciate the change. We hope to see you again the next time in the area. We always have a new project brewing and love to surprise our repeat guests with a constant stream of new ideas and items for the suites.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We were in Pittsburgh for an extended stay for medical reasons. The staff at this hotel were so accommodating and helpful. They eased the difficulty of being far from home during a challenging time. Anything we needed they did their best to fulfill. In particular we appreciated the dedication, sincerity and generosity of Colin, Bridget and Ian. They were so kind, could not do enough for us and made us feel beautifully taken care of.
The Shadyside provides everything one needs to stay comfortably for any length of time. Their attitude is "can do" and all one needs to do is ask!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sari w
Hello sari w,

Thank you for providing an account of you experience at our hotel. I am thrilled to see that we were able to portray our core message to you of having the "can do" attitude. A hotel is only as good as the people that make up its staff. I am happy to see some of our stars get recognized in your review. The staff lives and breathes the hotel and take all reviews to heart. While we are not perfect, we maintain that there is nothing we won't do for a customer and no length we won't go to ensure a guest is satisfied. I hope that your next visit to our city is for happier times and we wish you the best of health in your recovery.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed at the Shadyside Inn for 2 weeks this past month, and had ample opportunity to see the advantages and disadvantages. The concept is excellent, and there things that could be done to improve this place - easy things - and I hope for others' sake they do it. I had an opportunity to return the following week for an additional week and chose the Couryard Marriott Shadyside (with no kitchens but consistently superb service) because:

1. I stayed in a 2-bedroom place. Very roomy and nicely furnished. The bathroom is much too small and needs modernizing, frankly, although I am not fussy on these things - but sharing a room with another family member.. this was difficult.

2. The kitchen is supplied in a strange way - for example there is no dish cleaner (and none of my relatives had one) though there is dish detergent.. ? I also found the kitchen tiny and hard to manage while other spaces so large - a little remodelling could improve this tremendously - knock out the wall, for example!

3. The cleaning situation - ? didn't understand it - it seems that if you stay longer you get less of it?
And there are no cleaning supplies per se either! Sometimes they came every day and sometimes, not - never sure what to expect. We often ran out of towels, as we could not plan. The cleaners were great though!

4. This place is absolutely NOT for people with any disability. I had the fewest steps, being at the main building, but still had to go up two set of steps - with my suitcases and my bags each and every time - i have a serious mobility issue and constantly struggled with this. The office is also up stairs, and the hotel building across the street has even more. I am sure ramps could be built to help people with this.. but it seems to be utterly un thought of. The valets helped me when they could.. but I had already gone down many stairs before getting a ride.

5. The building is NOT well insulated - you hear anyone above you or beside you talking, walking, etc.

6. I had many problems with my key - it would suddenly NOT work - ! i had to get help 2-3 times with it. I heard it is a new system, so perhaps that is not an ongoing problem. I was locked out of the building in the winter.

7. I had to leave for an emergency at the hospital early in the morning one day. There was NO way that I knew of to book the 8 o'clock shuttle. I looked for information about how to do that, and found nothing - i was lucky to get a cab (cabs are just not available in pittsburhg, reliably).

As I was leaving, I had to get help from the office, to open my door (!) as the key didn't work, and the woman who helped me said - well just call.. (some number) - i said ? how would i know that? there was no indication WHATSOVER that that would be the number I would have called to get a shuttle first thing int he morning.

8. The Office - the Office was made up of a great mix of people - amazing, friendly and flexible and the most bureaucratic you will ever encounter - the woman who helped me with the key that day was always lovely and hardworking(wish i knew her name sorry)..as was Colin - however, there was a woman called Becca, I believe who epitomizes bureaucracy to me -with a falsely friendly greeting on the phone and a lack of warmth and helpfulness that made me wonder why she would be working in a hotel environment. I am sorry to say this..

9. The Shuttle -the drivers are fantastic! amazing! always courteous, helpful, resourceful. Colin the driver was exceptionally great, and Ian as well. Perhaps others' names should be mentioned, but I had a lot to juggle, and can't remember them - sorry!

The service though is crazily managed - One has to phone up (expensive to do if you are paying for phone as you don't have a telephone plan!) and wait while they say (each time) - let me get the book! --and then get your room number etc. -
I don't understand why there can't be and you don't have an electronic system. One would call from the hospital at 7:00 and be told that there would be no shuttle until 9:30 or 10! ????? As taxis are impossible in Pittsburgh, we would be stranded. An electronic system would have changed everything- also there were sometimes mess-ups because someone had to get the info right and then if there was a change with another office person it wasn't always communicated.

There is also a policy of 1 ride per half hour - so the car and van sit still while one person is taken perhaps 3 minutes away... We found that there was some flexibility erratically when there were certain creative people at the desk who realized the difficult circumstances. And others, one name mentioned, whose rather robotic responses turned one's blood cold.

10. Different locations - i found it very difficult to be separated - our families - be aware, folks that are booking that a) those in other locations will have to walk to the back of the main facility to get the shuttle (not always easy - if there is a need for transportation in winter and crossing a major street, lugging luggage, etc.) and of course there is the separation issue. It was hard to have joint meals, and the women were nervous sometimes going back or forth at night from one building to another - so far away.

Things would greatly improve at your place with
a) some simple thought to remodelling
b) ramps to help people with mobility
c) ensuring that information about cleaning and shuttles is clear
d) supplies for cleaning that match the service you have
e) a policy to prioritize people who are going to hospital or leaving hospital settings, or figure out some other kind of flexibility.
f) electronic booking - accessible to guests too, so that we are not stranded all evening somewhere
g) ensuring that all the people who work there are genuinely friendly and helpful.
(many were -- but ...)
h) fix your key system

Room Tip: You probably won't have a choice! More convenient to be on the same building as the office and p...
Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi 142lisa,

Thank you for providing feedback. We took some time to digest your recommendations and found some great suggestions in what your wrote. While it would be useful to touch on all the points you brought up i want to address a few here merely as a way to educate others. A lot of the questions you brought up are answered both on our website and in the information book inside your suite. Getting proper communication about these items is always a challenge and are going to look into new ways to reinforce some of the items.

In January we installed a new RFID lock system in all of our suites and all of the entrances. During the first week after we finished we had some kinks in the system that were addressed. Mainly we were having some technical difficulties with some of the locks that the manufacture took care of. I assume since you pointed this out that you were a guest here during that first week. I am sorry if this caused you an inconvenience but this was something we had to do to boost security and streamline the operation. Now that we have been using the system for a few months things are working great!

You pointed out some issues with how the complimentary shuttle is booked. Over the past few years we have increased both the number of shuttles we have and the time that it runs. In order to provide an equal distribution of access to these shuttles we ask that you call the office and reserve a time. While we would love to have this somehow become an electronic log we haven't found a system that works as well as good old fashioned paper and pencil. We are also sorry if there was a time you wanted to use the shuttle and it was already booked. Hopefully you understand that this complimentary service is available to all guests and we cannot bump someone who already has booked the shuttle. Luckily we are three blocks from the hospital and Pittsburgh has recently received two new services, Lyft and Uber, which will compete with the cab service here and provide in Pittsburgh with an easy to use new option for private transportation.

While we agree with you that it is sometimes inconvenient to have to cross the street if your family member is staying at the other building we want to put things in perspective for those who are not familiar. It sounds like you were staying in the 5426 Building which is directly across the street, 35 yards, from our 5405 Fifth Avenue building. I assume we put you at that locations because it is setup for people who cannot use any stairs. Since we cannot pinpoint your reservation I am not sure if we ever offered to move your other family members into your building. A simple request like that solves the problem and we are happy to do anything to make your stay more enjoyable. While we do have multiple locations 80% of the hotel is in two buildings next to each other.

Again, thank you 142lisa for your suggestions and your business. We have built this hotel on the feedback we have received from our customers. Thank you for taking the time to helping us become better. We would love to see you again in the future, if only for a visit, so we can chat with you about your stay. All of us here at Shadyside Inn wish you the best!