Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
CambriaHotels
  • Pool
$179
  • Pool
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$205
$139
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$214
$143
  • Restaurant
Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$107
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh-North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$114
Doubletree.com
$142
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh North Shore(Pittsburgh)(Great Value!)
$103
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswalnut streetfull kitchenwelcome bagfifth avenuesecond bedroomapartment buildingcarnegie mellonliving roommain buildinghome away from homegift bagsmall apartmenttraditional hotelgreat neighborhooddining tablefree parkingno elevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2012

If you are seeking a great value, a tremendous room and don’t mind a short drive downtown, please try the Shadyside Suites.

The guest quarters are actually closer to a small apartment with kitchen, sitting room with a couch and dining table. The room must have been renovated recently – it was spotless with brand new furniture. The TV has HD, which is a big plus. I felt like I was at home.

It’s clear the owners care. For example, the bathroom fixtures were very stylish. In a shocking development, I was handed a welcome bag containing two bottles of Tropicana orange juice and two granola bars. The four star hotels can’t compete in these areas. What a treat to wake up and have a cold orange juice immediately accessible. Not happening at the Omni, Westin, Renaissance, etc.

The location in Shadyside is fantastic. Many cool restaurants are within walking distance.

Please know there will be some clunky aspects. It is definitely non-traditional lodging for the business traveler. There are multiple buildlings that isn’t the easiest to navigate with limited parking available. You aren’t going to receive any full service property amenties. There’s no gym, of course. When I asked for a copy of the bill, I was told it could be e-mailed. Unusual, but insignificant.

We business travelers need to patronize properties like Shadyside Suites. It puts the pressure on the absurd pricing of the 4 star hotels. The Omni was available for $350/night while I paid $135 at Shadyside Suites.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello dk3434, many thanks for your thorough and glowing review! You represent the vanguard of business travelers who are discovering the exceptional value and comfort Shadyside Inn Suites can bring to their time in Pittsburgh. With our unbelievably spacious suites, prime dining location, premium furnishings, lean pricing, and personal touches, I think we compare quite favorably with the downtown competition. For fitness-oriented travelers, there are excellent gym and yoga facilities alongside those restaurants you visited just two blocks away.
The owners are indeed deeply engaged, and they're working to enhance many of the services and amenities that are dear to your fellow business travelers-- expanded room service, upgraded free wifi, and improved breakfast bags are all underway. Thanks again for contributing your perspective (and photo!), and we'll look forward to your return!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just what we needed in the right location. Surprised by full kitchen. Nice touches in decor and free wifi. Not a bed and breakfast though - a hotel. Walkable to walnut street - cute shopping - but Fifth street itself not very walkable or crossable. Very happy with our stay overall.

• Stayed: November 2012
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hello tripadSHF, thank you for your snappy and superlative review! Many guests are similarly surprised by the honest-to-goodness, adult-sized kitchen in every suite. People tend to either bring back leftovers from the fine restaurants you alluded to on Walnut Street, or pick up groceries of their own and assemble a home-cooked meal even while they're far afield! I would encourage guests crossing Fifth Avenue to do so at the light-- because Fifth Avenue connects directly to the university neighborhood of Oakland and from there straight downtown, you can expect it to be a bustling thoroughfare throughout the day. Our staff puts a lot of work and love into making our big suites as pretty as possible, so many thanks for saying they're beautiful!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the minute we arrived the staff made us feel like they genuinely wanted us there. The homemade cookies, bottle water and goodie bag for the following morning were a wonderful touch. The location in the heart of Shadyside was a definite plus. I can't say enough about this hotel which actually was more like renovated apartment buildings with lots of character. We had a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen. Everything was very clean and well kept. It is also just two blocks away from shopping and food. I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a nice place to stay for a great price. I was reluctant to write a review because I didn't want people to know what a great place this was, for very selfish reasons I might add. I decided to review because hotels with such great personal service and affordable prices are few and far between. If you stay here you will not be disappointed I promise!

Room Tip: Any room here will meet you expectations.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hello turbobabe, we are indeed genuinely glad you stayed with us, and now we're doubly happy to read your review! Thank you for enthusing about our enviable location in Shadyside and our spotless suites, as well as our exceptional value. As an independently-owned hotel, all of the money that you put into us stays right here in Pittsburgh-- instead of passing profits up the corporate ladder, we spend it on improving our suites, supporting our friendly staff, and keeping our prices exceptional! Thanks for sharing information about us, and hopefully we'll see you again!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The rooms are great, spacious, like small apartments and very clean. Bed was comfortable, service was friendly. The only drawbacks were due to the age of the building. The electricity when out in the main room so I had to use only the bedroom portion. Maintenance couldnt figure out the problem so I ate in the dark! And there was a lot of noise from upstairs neighbors. I could hear their child rolling a toy across the floor and I could make out entire conversations.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the top floor to avoid the neighbor noise?
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amymeri

Hello amymeri, thank you for writing about your experience with us, and for recommending our spacious suites and our cleanly, friendly service. Most importantly, I'm very sorry that we fell short of making your stay perfect in several crucial ways. I understand that you declined our offer to be moved to a different suite-- if there is anything unsuitable about a suite that we can't resolve immediately, it's our policy to offer the best available suite as soon as possible, so you can eat and rest in comfort. This policy applies to noisy neighbors as well: as soon as we are told of a noise concern, we are happy to contact other guests and encourage them to be more quiet, and offer a different suite if necessary. With a few minor hiccups (of which you unfortunately were the victim), we've managed to keep our buildings in shape and upgrade our suites to be more comfortable than ever. With that in mind, we would love the opportunity to show you how quiet and shipshape our suites normally are-- please consider coming back again!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just came back from my third stay at the Shadyside and still can't say enough about it. After my first visit I put in my review that the parking lot was a little dark. I was back at the Shadyside a month later and they had added all kinds of new lighting in the parking lot that I had commented on. It was awesome! I was so impressed at how quickly they had fixed the problem. I have stayed in the studio, one bedroom and two bedroom suites. They were all lovely and so, so clean. The staff is very accommodating And helpful.My only other comment is that the rollaway bed is small and not very comfortable.Would be fine for a small child but not a teen or older. Will stay here again and again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hi kklammers, it's so great to hear from you again! We're all avid review readers over here, so we definitely take it seriously when a guest suggests an improvement, and it's tremendously satisfying to know that you came back to see the positive results of your input! Thanks for appreciating our clean suites, and you'll be happy to hear that we're working to refresh our fleet of rollaway beds with genuine twin-sized frames and fresh mattresses. All the best!