“Great place to stay”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the minute we arrived the staff made us feel like they genuinely wanted us there. The homemade cookies, bottle water and goodie bag for the following morning were a wonderful touch. The location in the heart of Shadyside was a definite plus. I can't say enough about this hotel which actually was more like renovated apartment buildings with lots of character. We had a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen. Everything was very clean and well kept. It is also just two blocks away from shopping and food. I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a nice place to stay for a great price. I was reluctant to write a review because I didn't want people to know what a great place this was, for very selfish reasons I might add. I decided to review because hotels with such great personal service and affordable prices are few and far between. If you stay here you will not be disappointed I promise!

Room Tip: Any room here will meet you expectations.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hello turbobabe, we are indeed genuinely glad you stayed with us, and now we're doubly happy to read your review! Thank you for enthusing about our enviable location in Shadyside and our spotless suites, as well as our exceptional value. As an independently-owned hotel, all of the money that you put into us stays right here in Pittsburgh-- instead of passing profits up the corporate ladder, we spend it on improving our suites, supporting our friendly staff, and keeping our prices exceptional! Thanks for sharing information about us, and hopefully we'll see you again!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The rooms are great, spacious, like small apartments and very clean. Bed was comfortable, service was friendly. The only drawbacks were due to the age of the building. The electricity when out in the main room so I had to use only the bedroom portion. Maintenance couldnt figure out the problem so I ate in the dark! And there was a lot of noise from upstairs neighbors. I could hear their child rolling a toy across the floor and I could make out entire conversations.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the top floor to avoid the neighbor noise?
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amymeri

Hello amymeri, thank you for writing about your experience with us, and for recommending our spacious suites and our cleanly, friendly service. Most importantly, I'm very sorry that we fell short of making your stay perfect in several crucial ways. I understand that you declined our offer to be moved to a different suite-- if there is anything unsuitable about a suite that we can't resolve immediately, it's our policy to offer the best available suite as soon as possible, so you can eat and rest in comfort. This policy applies to noisy neighbors as well: as soon as we are told of a noise concern, we are happy to contact other guests and encourage them to be more quiet, and offer a different suite if necessary. With a few minor hiccups (of which you unfortunately were the victim), we've managed to keep our buildings in shape and upgrade our suites to be more comfortable than ever. With that in mind, we would love the opportunity to show you how quiet and shipshape our suites normally are-- please consider coming back again!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just came back from my third stay at the Shadyside and still can't say enough about it. After my first visit I put in my review that the parking lot was a little dark. I was back at the Shadyside a month later and they had added all kinds of new lighting in the parking lot that I had commented on. It was awesome! I was so impressed at how quickly they had fixed the problem. I have stayed in the studio, one bedroom and two bedroom suites. They were all lovely and so, so clean. The staff is very accommodating And helpful.My only other comment is that the rollaway bed is small and not very comfortable.Would be fine for a small child but not a teen or older. Will stay here again and again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hi kklammers, it's so great to hear from you again! We're all avid review readers over here, so we definitely take it seriously when a guest suggests an improvement, and it's tremendously satisfying to know that you came back to see the positive results of your input! Thanks for appreciating our clean suites, and you'll be happy to hear that we're working to refresh our fleet of rollaway beds with genuine twin-sized frames and fresh mattresses. All the best!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I can't think of a single critical comment about Shadyside Inn Suites. Convenient location (for any activities in Oakland, Shadyside, etc.), super-friendly and helpful staff, clean, comfortable, home-away-from-home apartment, excellent value for the money. I am SO GLAD that the Hampton Inn in Oakland was already sold out for Pitt Parents Weekend, so that I could discover and enjoy Shadyside Inn instead. Maybe I should think about booking now for Pitt Parents Weekend NEXT October because I'd hate to miss out if everyone finds out about this gem!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Hi betholyn, your review just made our day! It's a true delight to learn that once a guest leaves the beaten path and gives Shadyside Inn Suites a chance, they're happy to keep coming back! Our proximity to the University of Pittsburgh's campus (not to mention all the shops in Shadyside) means that we normally fill up quickly for all major Pitt events, so if you're looking to snag a suite next year, I'd recommend making your reservations soon. With our hyper-flexible cancellation policy, endearing suites, and our discounts for Pitt parents, I can't think of a single reason not to!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

What a wonderful stay! I loved the charm and location of our suite. The staff was so nice upon our arrival and during our stay. We felt more at home than we do when staying in a hotel. We had a We have a student at Pitt and have decided this will be our choice of places to stay. I'll even consider staying longer with a place like this. Our son will just love that!

Room Tip: The elevator stopped working while we were there, which wasn't a problem for us. If you are una...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Hello cmz_12, thank you for your enthusiastic review! If our good cheer and dandy suites have convinced you to spend more time enjoying the attractions around Pittsburgh, I think we've accomplished our mission! And if your student son gets just that much more encouragement and attention, I'm sure he'll appreciate it deep down. Possibly very deep down. I’m very sorry about the elevator maintenance during your stay-- it’s already back up and running! Of course, we are also always happy to help with luggage and navigating to your suite, as well as note any particular floor preferences.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Close to University of Pittsburgh campus, restaurants, and shopping. Clean suite, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. Bikes are available upon request. Parking is included, but the lot is tight. We will stay at Shadyside Inn Suites again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hi Maureenfoley, thanks for choosing to stay with us after driving all the way from Ambler. After a long ride in a car it can be refreshing to switch over to some other way of getting around, like our complimentary bicycles! Of course, all of those attractions you mentioned (Pitt campus, Shadyside's boutique shops and restaurants) are well within strolling distance. As I'm writing back to you on Halloween, I suppose I should mention that our free bicycles were NOT assembled by goblins, our great location is NOT built on a cursed battleground, and none of our friendly staff members have been possessed by the ghosts of prior celebrity guests... yet.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed for two days for a special event in Pittsburgh. The suites are in low rise older blocks that could be apartment blocks. The arrangement of one double room and one twin bedded room was perfect for us and our two daughters. There is a kitchen (with large fridge/freezer, full stove/oven, micorwave and sink) a large open plan dining area with table and chairs and sitting area with chairs, sofas and TV with cable. Free wi-fi was a bonus as we were travelling from the UK. This is more like having an apartment in a traditional block than a hotel suite as you are really self catering and we immediately felt at home. We were in a separate block across the road from the main "hotel", but this was fine.

A short walk (3 blocks) takes you to a nice community (Walnut Street) with boutique shops, cafes, restaurants and bars and a little further takes you to a very large and well stocked Giant Eagle store for groceries and fresh produce. Off street parking is free at the rear of the building. It is on a mainish road, but we didn't feel oppressed by that and it made it very easy to find. All the members of staff that we met were helpful, friendly and relaxed.

We would definitely stay here again if we were in Pittsburgh.

1  Thank Essex_dad
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Hello Essex_dad, thanks for choosing us as your "home base" while in Pittsburgh! Many international guests are delighted to discover free, high-speed wireless in our suites-- it's a haven from the agonies of roaming data plans. Likewise, our full kitchens and numerous nearby grocery stores provide the opportunity to cook up a slice of home while you're abroad. By utilizing several smaller buildings with much larger suites, I believe we strike a fine balance between spacious privacy and friendly service. Thanks for remembering us fondly, and we hope you'll find the chance to visit us again!