“Cozy accomodations”

Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Lancaster, PA
“Cozy accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

What a wonderful stay! I loved the charm and location of our suite. The staff was so nice upon our arrival and during our stay. We felt more at home than we do when staying in a hotel. We had a We have a student at Pitt and have decided this will be our choice of places to stay. I'll even consider staying longer with a place like this. Our son will just love that!

Room Tip: The elevator stopped working while we were there, which wasn't a problem for us. If you are una...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hello cmz_12, thank you for your enthusiastic review! If our good cheer and dandy suites have convinced you to spend more time enjoying the attractions around Pittsburgh, I think we've accomplished our mission! And if your student son gets just that much more encouragement and attention, I'm sure he'll appreciate it deep down. Possibly very deep down. I’m very sorry about the elevator maintenance during your stay-- it’s already back up and running! Of course, we are also always happy to help with luggage and navigating to your suite, as well as note any particular floor preferences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Ambler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Close to University of Pittsburgh campus, restaurants, and shopping. Clean suite, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. Bikes are available upon request. Parking is included, but the lot is tight. We will stay at Shadyside Inn Suites again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Maureenfoley, thanks for choosing to stay with us after driving all the way from Ambler. After a long ride in a car it can be refreshing to switch over to some other way of getting around, like our complimentary bicycles! Of course, all of those attractions you mentioned (Pitt campus, Shadyside's boutique shops and restaurants) are well within strolling distance. As I'm writing back to you on Halloween, I suppose I should mention that our free bicycles were NOT assembled by goblins, our great location is NOT built on a cursed battleground, and none of our friendly staff members have been possessed by the ghosts of prior celebrity guests... yet.
Essex UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed for two days for a special event in Pittsburgh. The suites are in low rise older blocks that could be apartment blocks. The arrangement of one double room and one twin bedded room was perfect for us and our two daughters. There is a kitchen (with large fridge/freezer, full stove/oven, micorwave and sink) a large open plan dining area with table and chairs and sitting area with chairs, sofas and TV with cable. Free wi-fi was a bonus as we were travelling from the UK. This is more like having an apartment in a traditional block than a hotel suite as you are really self catering and we immediately felt at home. We were in a separate block across the road from the main "hotel", but this was fine.

A short walk (3 blocks) takes you to a nice community (Walnut Street) with boutique shops, cafes, restaurants and bars and a little further takes you to a very large and well stocked Giant Eagle store for groceries and fresh produce. Off street parking is free at the rear of the building. It is on a mainish road, but we didn't feel oppressed by that and it made it very easy to find. All the members of staff that we met were helpful, friendly and relaxed.

We would definitely stay here again if we were in Pittsburgh.

1 Thank Essex_dad
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello Essex_dad, thanks for choosing us as your "home base" while in Pittsburgh! Many international guests are delighted to discover free, high-speed wireless in our suites-- it's a haven from the agonies of roaming data plans. Likewise, our full kitchens and numerous nearby grocery stores provide the opportunity to cook up a slice of home while you're abroad. By utilizing several smaller buildings with much larger suites, I believe we strike a fine balance between spacious privacy and friendly service. Thanks for remembering us fondly, and we hope you'll find the chance to visit us again!
Downingtown, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have two children at PITT and my first choice of places to stay is Shadyside Inn. The staff could not be more helpful. They are very concerned that everything is right. LOVE the goodie bag they give with juice, muffins and granola bars. I have stayed in a Studio and a couple two bedroom suites. They are all very clean. Close walk to Walnut St where one can breakfast at Pamelas!! Shuttle service is available to PITT. Free parking rounds out the package! Ask for a room in the back oaf building to avoid traffic noise if the windows are open.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back oaf building to avoid traffic noise if the windows are open. There is no...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hi zettravpa, congratulations on having two scholars at the University of Pittsburgh, and thanks for staying with us when you visit them! You're right about our staff-- when it comes to guest happiness, they're the most pleasant perfectionists in town. Between trying several of our suites, touring the Pitt campus with our shuttle, and strolling to the great dining options over on Walnut Street, it sounds like you're making the most of your time here in Shadyside! Thanks for spreading the love, and we'll look forward to your return!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My family and I were guests at the Shadyside Inn for five weeks while our new home went through renovations. We were consistently disappointed with the quality of the accommodations and in some cases, the unresponsive and personally insulting staff and management.

Room Size:
We booked a 2-bedroom “suite” to accommodate two adults and two children – ages 1 ½ and 4 years old. Upon making the reservations for the room, I was very specific in confirming that the Inn’s 2-bedroom suite would adequately accommodate my family. I identified my children and their ages, and explained that my 1 ½ year old needed to sleep in a standard-sized crib. The reservation agent explained to me that the 2-bedroom suite was indeed spacious and properly suited for our family. While he did comment that the second bedroom was “small,” he assured me that it was large enough for both a twin bed and a crib. On the day of our check-in, the check-in clerk seemed shocked that we were planning on putting both of our kids in the second bedroom. He commented that he did not think a crib would fit with the existing twin-sized bed. We were extremely upset to hear this, especially since at this point we had arrived at the Shadyside Inn without any alternative arrangements for our long-term stay. To his credit, the desk clerk sent a staff person to our room to help us attempt to negotiate the small space and try to fit both the twin bed and the crib. Ultimately, the staff person was very helpful in taking the headboard off of the twin bed so that both the bed and crib could fit in the space. This assistance notwithstanding, my children had to sleep in an extremely confined space. The head of my son’s twin bed abutted my daughter’s crib, and they awoke multiple times each night because they were quite literally sleeping on top of each other. With both the bed and the crib in the room, it was virtually impossible for us to open the door to the bedroom and absolutely impossible to open or use the small closet in the room.

Room Dampness:
Upon checking in, we noticed both a stale smell and an inordinate amount of humidity in our room. It was in fact so humid in the space that the windows were almost all covered in condensation and our clothes, furniture, bedding, and towels were constantly damp. Early on in our stay, my husband discovered that every single window in the unit was slightly opened at the top. My husband and I, and our children, woke up throughout the night damp with sweat and humidity. Due to the issues with room size and the inordinate amount of humidity in the space, we did not have a single decent night’s sleep. We reported our concerns about humidity to the front desk on three separate occasions – asking for a dehumidifier for the room. On each occasion, we were told that someone was “looking into it.” Five days before check-out, a clerk brought a humidifier to our room. We were grateful to have the humidifier even if it was for a short part of our stay. The existence of the humidifier confirmed our suspicion that the small apartment was laden with excess humidity because we had to empty the 6-gallon tank multiple times per day.

Lack of Overall Cleanliness:
In addition to the stale and musty smell of our unit, we noticed that the “suite” is extremely dirty. By the end of every single day, the bottoms of ours’ and our kids’ socks were caked in dirt. The dirt originated from simply walking on the vinyl floors of our unit. We lodged complaints about the dirty floors to the front desk on several occasions, and were told that they had been cleaned, but we still notice the dirt and grime every day.

The dishes within the drawers in the kitchen, as well as the exterior and interior of the drawers themselves were sticky and caked with food on the day we checked in. We had to clean the dishes and flatware, as well as pots and pans before being able to use them. The dining room table had glass atop the table, and there was dirt, condensation, and old stains trapped between the wood and the glass overlay.

The fact is that your "suite" is "lightly cleaned" by the housekeeping staff once per week if you stay for four weeks or more. In our experience, the "light cleaning" includes weekly replacement of towels and bed linens, and replacing toilet paper. If you stay for less than four weeks, you can pay extra for housekeeping. When I asked whether housekeeping was included in the daily $99 rate, the reservation agent said, "yes." To me, that meant housekeeping qua housekeeping, not replacing towels and toilet paper.

Laundry Facilities:
A primary reason for us electing to stay at the Shadyside Inn instead of a more traditional hotel-like accommodation was because of the accessibility of laundry facilities. As discussed above, we have two small children, which necessarily results in lots of laundry – sometimes at unexpected times, requiring the clothes and linens be washed immediately. To our dismay, we had several disappointing experiences related to the laundry facilities. We did laundry on approximately six occasions. On the first occasion, water leaked from a dryer we used onto the floor, which somehow resulted in the entire laundry room filling with steam, making it impossible to see in the room. We reported the condition to the clerk at the front desk at the time, who informed us that he knew at least one of the washers and one of the dryers were not working properly in our building, and informed us that they would have one of the service people out to look at them.

The following week, the laundry room was closed for approximately 45 hours (from Wednesday evening to Friday at 8:30AM – per a typed note that was placed outside the laundry room). We suspected that the room was closed so that the broken machines could be addressed. We learned that it was actually closed because it was being painted. We had been collecting our laundry for those days, looking forward to using the facilities when they opened at 8:30AM on Friday, September 14th. I scheduled to work from home that morning so that I could get the laundry done before we were leaving for a family trip that evening. I carried three loads of laundry down to the laundry room in our unit where I encountered a member of the housekeeping staff that was loading sheets and towels into every washing machine. She informed me that laundry facilities are categorically not available to hotel guests from the hours of 8:30AM-4:30PM on Fridays, as that is when the housekeeping staff does the laundry. I told her that no one had informed me of this rule, and that I was especially disappointed since the room was previously closed for 40 hours before this particular Friday morning. She responded in a very curt way, telling me 1) that our laundry room had not in fact been closed (when it absolutely had); and 2) to take up my concerns with the manager because she had “work to do.” She said this was her first day on the job and she was already fed up with the “horrible way they ran the place.” She asked me, “how do you expect me to do my job when you’re sitting here asking me all these questions?” I hauled my laundry to the front desk and explained the events of the past 15 minutes. The young, female front desk clerk told me that she had no idea what the housekeeping staff person was talking about – that she herself did not know that the laundry room(s) were closed for 8 hours on Fridays, nor did she know that it had previously been closed for painting. She directed me to other buildings in which I could do my laundry. I spent the next twenty minutes, hauling my heavy three loads of laundry to other buildings. The same (curt) housekeeping attendant was simultaneously using all four machines in another building. The third building I tried had one washer and one dryer, both of which were in use – presumably by another guest. Thus, I spent one hour of my work day attempting to unsuccessfully locate an open washer/dryer.

Parking:
The parking lot for the building at 5405 Fifth Avenue is woefully undersized for the hotel. Clearly, the parking lot was designed to fit the most cars possible, without regard for the actual size of those cars. Every single morning we had to artfully negotiate our bodies into our cars, squeezing and contorting ourselves and our young kids into their car seats. Not only are the parking spots extremely small, but there were several occasions when there was not a single space available. On those occasions – sometimes in the dark of night – we needed to drive around looking for street parking with our children. This is simply unacceptable for a hotel that boasts “free convenient parking.” When we reported our concerns about parking to the front desk, and assistant manager, the response was, "well, we get busy on weekends."

The front-desk staff was always friendly, and we were greeted very warmly by most of the staff around the Inn.

The single largest factor that justifies our rating the Inn as "terrible" is the way that I was treated upon check-out. Two days prior to check-out, one of the owners of the Inn, Michael Plesset, called my cell phone and told me that he had heard that my family was not satisfied with our experience, and told me to come up with an amount that we would feel comfortable paying for our stay based on our experiences. I thought this was a thoughtful and business-conscious gesture, and my family thought long and hard about the best way to respond. As an opening salvo, I described a summary of all of the above-issues to Mr. Plesset, and explained that we were prepared to pay 1/3 of our bill. Having heard this statement, Mr. Plesset, in a seemingly angry tone, summarily told me that the conversation was over and that he was hanging up. He told me that "I know exactly the kind of woman you are. Everyone at the Inn knows about you and your 'beautiful' family. And we just hope that you and your beautiful family have a beautiful life in your beautiful home. Goodbye." While I cannot possibly remember his words verbatim, I do know that they stung me to the core and I felt sincerely offended by his choice of language and tone. Our motivation to seek responses and recourse for our concerns was, and always is, a concern for the health, safety, and comfort of our children. The fact that he attacked me as a "woman," and referred to my "beautiful family" in an angry, condescending way, is simply unacceptable. I remain shocked that a customer-service-oriented business - a "hotel" nonetheless - can function with such a lack of sincere responsiveness to its hotel guests; and likewise that an owner of the business can treat a customer with such disdain.

It should be noted that Mr. Plesset did in fact offer, and we accepted, a 13% discount for our stay. We wish to put this experience behind us, and hope that others do not have the same experience that we had while staying at the Shadyside Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Beverly B
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
This guest’s experience as related above does not match our observations, nor does it reflect their experience as originally conveyed to our staff. This is certainly not the typical guest experience. We are deeply saddened that after making extensive efforts to improve the quality of their stay as well as provide compensation for their unmet expectations, we are obliged to provide a contrary account of their stay.

This guest booked a two bedroom suite at our hotel. This is a 690 square foot space with two separate bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a separate living and dining area. Over the years we have had thousands of families enjoy these same suites and we have always done everything we can to accommodate each guest’s individual needs, including changing the layout of the suite to adjust for home-brought items, such as their crib. I am sorry that in this case we were unable to find a configuration to fit everything the way they wanted.

As this guest was the very first to express concerns with their suite’s humidity, we were caught off-guard by a dehumidifier request. We contacted our local HVAC provider and placed an order for the professional dehumidifier that was recommended. Unfortunately, this order took much longer than expected and ultimately we provided a residential dehumidifier from Amazon. We regret that the guest feels that we did not follow up quickly enough, but please understand that theirs was the first request of this nature, and we now understand the speediest solution. Fortunately, this has not been an issue with anyone else before or since.

This guest’s description of our housekeeping service is simply incorrect. Before arrival, each suite goes through a three person examination to make sure it is clean and ready, and we call each suite after check-in to make sure that everything is okay. Monthly guests receive a thorough housekeeping service each week, which includes mopping, dusting, vacuuming, and changing linens. This guest had called our office and expressed that they wanted additional services to be performed at these cleanings and we made every effort to accommodate these requests, specifically assigning our head housekeeper to their suite. While we are unable to control the habits of our guests, I can say with confidence that after every housekeeping service, each suite is fully clean.

Our laundry facilities are free for guests to use. Unfortunately, a recently-employed housekeeper gave this guest the wrong information, which we corrected as soon as we were told of such. Fortunately, the complex where this guest stayed has four laundry rooms located within 150 feet of each other. While we occasionally perform routine maintenance and painting on laundry facilities, we strive to ensure that at least one laundry room is open to guests at all times. I am sorry that this maintenance inconvenienced them.

An unavoidable circumstance of Shadyside’s popularity is that parking is always at a premium. We diligently assert that our free parking is for guest use only, but there are times when non-guests try to take advantage of our facilities. We regret that there were a couple of times during their five-week stay that this occurred.

I am surprised and dismayed at this guest’s reaction to our co-owner Michael’s attempt to reach out to them. We had hoped to communicate our deep concern as well as offer additional compensation for their dissatisfactions. Over the course of their stay, in addition to addressing the concerns raised, we had issued several substantial refunds, and once we learned that this guest remained discontent overall, we wanted to create another opportunity for a positive experience. In no way would Michael ever try to insult a guest, and I am mortified that his words were interpreted in a way so different from their intention. Our goal is to combine exquisitely comfortable suites with passionate service, and it weighs heavily upon us if anybody checks out unhappy. In this case we are consoled by the extraordinary efforts of our staff to make their stay as pleasant as possible, and the positive feedback from many other families. On behalf of everyone at Shadyside Inn Suites, we wish them well and hope that their new home turns out wonderfully.

Jonathan
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My brother and I stayed here for one night to attend a 2 day event at nearby Carnegie Mellon University. It was perfect for us because of the two bedrooms - and it was the same price as nearby hotels where we would have had to share a room. It's an older building, but they've done a good job of keeping it nice and clean. When we checked in, we were given a little morning goodie bag with juice, muffins, granola bars, and some mints. It was a nice surprise.
The suites are a very convenient walking distance from Walnut St - lots of nice shops and restaurants along there. There aren't very many power outlets since it's an older building, so if you've got a lot of electronic devices that need to be charged overnight, you might have to unplug a lamp or something. Hardly a deal breaker though. I found the pillow cases to be rather rough - maybe I had an new set or something. I had an extra t-shirt packed in my bag, so I put it over the pillow. Once I did that, I slept pretty well.

All of the staff that we encountered were very friendly. They even sent me a thank you note in the mail! I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Stephanie S
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi babygeige, thanks for staying with us, and for writing such a thoughtful review! Our two bedroom suites are a pretty exceptional value for siblings on the go-- you get a spacious living room to hang out in, a full kitchen to store or prepare a meal, and most importantly, two separate bedrooms when you're ready for some personal space. Thanks for enjoying our morning goodie bag: on your first morning in a new town, sometimes you don't have time to explore the many shops and restaurants nearby, and we want you energized and ready for your event! Speaking of energized, we've just ordered a shipment of additional surge-protected power strips to be installed in every suite, so you can charge up your entire gadget collection without outlet-hunting. We want our pillowcases to be as soft as a cloud, so we'll be triple-checking our supplies there as well. Oodles of thanks for reading our thank-you note, and I hope we'll see you and your brother again soon!
Califon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our daughter attends Carnegie Mellon. Shadyside is a short walk to CMU and the Walnut Street restaurants. The suites are spacious and very comfortable. We like having a full kitchen when we travel. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The room rates are also competetive with or less than the big name hotels. We have stayed in 2 bedroom, 1 bedroom and studio suites. All were super.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hi Benjamin H, it's so great to hear positive words from a long-time guest! CMU families and alumni/alumnae are a perfect fit with us for exactly the reasons you mention: we're situated ideally between Carnegie Mellon's campus and the shopping and dining extravaganza on Walnut Street, our suites can accommodate (and feed) whole families, and it's hard to find a more welcoming crew than the Shadyside Inn staff! I'm delighted that we've earned your enduring loyalty from the corporate chains, and we'll look forward to your custom throughout your daughter's academic career!