“Great accommodations, perfect location, & friendly staff”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #21 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Oak Park
“Great accommodations, perfect location, & friendly staff”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have always been a fan of the Shadyside Inn. The accommodations are spacious, clean, having use of a fully equipped kitchen is priceless when traveling with children, and the location is unbeatable. There isn't anywhere else to stay in Pittsburgh that provides you with the ability to walk and in minutes find great restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.

I just returned from a stay at the Shadyside Inn and all I can say is "WOW!" It has been four years since my last visit and I wasn't aware of the renovations. The new hardwood floors in the suites are impressive, the new heating and air conditioning systems are extremely effective and silent, and the remodeled lobbies and hallways are welcoming.

The staff is warm, friendly, and extremely helpful. My 4 year old loved the Shadyside Inn key chains. The owner was kind enough to have a special key chain made up for my son with his name on it. You won't find special touches like this at a Marriott.

The Shadyside Inn is a great value and truly a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Hi stacey S,

Thank you for providing feedback about your experience staying at Shadyside Inn Suites and welcome back. As you have seen we have been extremely busy these last few years renovating and upgrading our hotel. It has been a wonderful experience to have guests return and marvel at all the changes we have made. The feedback we have received from guests has played an important role in helping shape the future of Shadyside Inn Suites. We will continue to improve and can't wait for you to return and see more.

Our location has always been one of our greatest assets. Being located a few blocks away from Pittsburgh's best shopping, dining, and nightlife has been a huge benefit for our guests. I am happy you were able to take advantage of Walnut Street and hope you will tell others about this wonderful neighborhood.

I am glad we were able to make your trip family friendly. It is not an easy task traveling with children and I am happy we were able to make it less stressful for Mom and Dad. Next time you visit we have an official Shadyside Inn Suites Staff shirt waiting for your son!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
reston, va
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Shadyside Inn twice in the last couple of months and am heading back there again next week. Both times my husband and I have stayed in a one bedroom suite. We were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable our lodging was. Both the bedroom and sitting room had nice TVs, and the tiny kitchen was perfectly equipped with microwave, frig, coffee maker, dishes, etc. I loved being able to buy a few groceries and store them in our suite. The bed was very comfortable and we also were provided with toiletries and a hair dryer. On our second stay, we received a phone call from the front desk asking if everything was good with our suite. We asked for extra coffee and tea and they were brought to us promptly. To top everything off, we were given a discount because our daughter was in the hospital after giving birth to our first grandchild!! I am definitely a fan of the Shadyside Inn and look forward to many more comfortable nights there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank eatergourmet
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
HI Eatergourmet!

I want to thank you for providing feedback on your experiences staying with us over the past few months. I am happy that we have been able to make your trips to Pittsburgh pleasant. I am glad you touched on the benefit of having your own kitchen. It's ironic that when I travel now I find myself looking for hotels with a kitchen even though I am the world's worst cook! Just being able to store simple things like drinks and pre-made snacks (ok I admit, junk food) in your suite is a nice bonus that goes overlooked in the hotel industry. I want to make sure you are aware of that there are actually four grocery stores within a two mile radius of the hotel. Shadyside Market is right on Walnut Street and I can't stress enough how wonderful their prepared meals are. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are also in the neighborhood if you are feeling more adventurous in the cooking department. Finally Giant Eagle, which is Pittsburgh's biggest grocery store, is right down the street.

We look forward to having you again in a couple of weeks and if there is anything my staff can do to make your next stay even better please don't hesitate to contact me.
Warren, Pa
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We have been staying at the Shadyside Inn and Suites for over 10 years. Whenever we go to Pittsburgh, this is the only place we stay. If we can't stay at the Shadyside, we don't go to Pittsburgh. For our family it is the most comfortable vacation site ever. The suites are wonderful apartments, the staff is outstanding, the neighborhood is grand.

We love staying in a apartment with 2 bedrooms, living room and kitchen. They are clean, well-maintained, attractively decorated. We love having so much room for our family to relax.

Let me tell you about the staff. They are so helpful and accomodating --whatever we need help with they do it. They also provide free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius.

The neighborhood has great shopping and great food. We all look forward to breakfast at Pamela's and dinner at LaFeria, a Peruvian restaurant. Also nearby are 2 great Ethiopian restaurants. The local grocery store is a little pricey, but there is a good Giant Eagle nearby and a few minutes farther a Trader Joes.

They also have discounted admission tickets to the Carnegie Science Center and the Pittsburgh Zoo.

Please note there is no pool on site.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful--they are such a good place and often so full that we don't have a c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Ruby W,

We are so flattered that you make Shadyside Inn Suites your number one Pittsburgh destination. Repeat guests are proudly the biggest customer we have. Most of the staff we have stay with us long-term and I see relationships built up over many years between staff and guests like you who come back year after year. It makes the whole experience very personal for us as well since we get to see old friends each year.

I'm happy you pointed out LeFeria in your review. Since its located on the second floor above Pamelas it doesn't get the same attention but it really is a wonderful restaurant in Shadyside. I haven't tried the Ethiopian places yet but I plan on expanding my horizons and giving them a try.

We take a lot of pride in the quality of our suites. Our cleaning staff spends a tremendous amount of time and energy making sure we always look good. They work extremely hard and their work sometimes goes unnoticed. They deserve a lot of credit for our guests positive experience.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Please don't hesitate if you need anything for your next visit.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Got a one bedroom suite to find out they had upgraded me to a two bedroom suite. This place is not fancy so if you are looking for fancy don't stay here. If you are looking for a great place to stay close to CMU this is it. The staff is the best that I have encounter in my travels. Places to eat and shop within 2mns walk. My son and I walked to CMU and back, about a 15mn walk in a beautiful neighborhood. We also walked to the city although you can take the bus or the hotel will drive you there. OVER ALL A GREAT PLACE.

Room Tip: our room was B306 but I think all rooms will be great.
1 Thank stickeq
Hello Stickeq,

Thank you for sharing your experience staying with us while visiting Carnegie Mellon University. Since we are so close to the University we have a lot of people visiting CMU stay at Shadyside Inn Suites. We hope that we were able to be a positive part of your son's decision making process. If he does choose CMU and you return to visit him I want to make you aware of our Mansion Suites properties. For guests looking for luxury accommodations in Shadyside we have 3 other properties that make up Mansion Suites by Shadyside Inn. I urge you to take a look at these if you are looking for even more of an upscale experience. Good luck to you and your son on this decision making process. We are going to be biased and reccomend Carnegie Mellon as our vote. A world class school in America's most livable city! Such a nice combination in our opinion :)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I will admit I was surprised by downtown hotel prices when I researched a trip for Pittsburgh. Its not a tourist city or a very popular city compared to places like Miami or Chicago, but the hotel prices are close to being the same. So I was ecstatic to find Shadyside Suites, which was not only walkable to parts of Pittsburgh, but also included a small kitchen. I reserved the cheapest room, which was a former studio apartment and we were once again estatic when we checked in and the hotel upgraded us to a two bedroom apartment! We had space we didn't even know what to do with!! There was a full couch and loveseat, dining table, a smaller bedroom with a single bed and a larger bedroom with a queen sized bed and a full kitchen and bath. We felt like residents of Pittsburgh, which was fabulous because the whole point of our trip was to get a feel for the city to decide if we want to relocate there. The apartment was older (which is the charm of pittsburgh) so the heating system is tricky, but they just installed air conditioning, so that would be nice in the warmer summer months. The bed was comfortable, but you have to get used to sleeping on a foam topper, which we didn't like so much. Parking was really tight, but it was so nice that there wasn't an extra charge like ALL other hotels in Pittsburgh who charge upwards $20-230 per day on top of what your already paying for the room! All in all though, we really enjoyed our stay and I can see that the hotel is making further renovations as they were installing new banisters while we were there. We will definitely stay again if we visit and will recommend the hotel if we choose to become residents of the wonderful city of Pittsburgh in the future!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Hello atlmichelle4571!

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay while in Pittsburgh. I hope that you found Shadyside to be as wonderful a place as we do. Many of our staff actually live in the area and we feel like mini-ambassadors to the neighborhood. I am excited that you got the opportunity to be upgraded. Nothing makes us happier than to see the look on our guests faces when we tell them we were able to upgrade them. As a rule I instruct all of our staff to offer upgrades if we have the availability. Over the last two years we have undergone extensive renovations to all our properties. You saw the tail end of the work we were doing to beautify the 5405 Fifth Avenue property. It has been really rewarding to look back at some of the feedback we have received from guests over the years and address all the issues one by one with our renovation projects. We can't wait for people to return and see what we have done!

I want to apologize for not explaining to you better how to use the operate new HVAC system. We are in the process of upgrading to mini-split systems in all of our suites. These systems provide dual zone heating and cooling in the suites. They are whisper quiet, energy efficient, and offer our guests the flexibility to keep separate temperatures in the living room and master bedroom. Since we have now completed 75% of the work we were behind in printing and installing directions for using the system in the suites. I promise that we are on top of this and have already had the instructions printed and are preparing to mount them over each thermostat in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for the encouraging words. We do read and take guests complaints and praises very seriously. You are our best form of advertising! If we make you happy we know that you will make sure others know of your positive experience. Good luck to you and we hope to see you again.
Mount Vernon, Maine
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Staying in Pittsburgh can be a challenge. There aren't many hotel choices and as a result most are very pricey. The more moderately priced ones are on the outskirts off the city and not very convenient in a city where walking is the best way to enjoy the environs and driving a few miles can take a long time in traffic. We've tried a couple of different options during the five years our son has been in the city, first as a student and now as a permanent resident working in the city. Shadyside Inn is the clear winner. We'd seen it advertised and well-rated since our first visit, but couldn't get in. The space for dollar ratio can't be beat. These are former apartment buildings that have been converted to "suites." We always like to have some kitchen space when traveling, if only a little fridge and microwave, to save money and our waistlines. At Shadyside Inn, we had a full two bedroom apartment for three adults for about what it would have cost us to have one room at a moderate hotel in the city. For comparison, We've stayed at the Marriott and Quality Inn in town and a Comfort Inn out toward Monroeville.

The kitchen, dining area, and living room allowed us to cook an Easter dinner with our son (our space was bigger than his apartment) and his grandmother, who stayed in the second bedroom. We had plenty of room to visit. The Inn encompasses three separate properties but I can only speak to our location at the corner of S. Aiken and Fifth. We loved it! It might not be the best choice for a quick overnight, but for our four days it was perfect and I'm looking forward to returning for longer visits. "Our" property consists of two three-story brick buildings with a lovely courtyard in the middle. Parking is tricky as the lot is small, but we were able to find a spot every night. Our apartment was 301B and included a large balcony with a little cast iron patio set (table and two chairs.) The balcony was a real treat. The three floor staircase was tricky for my 70-something mother and a work-out bringing our luggage in and out, but do-able. The rooms are all well-appointed with basic apartment furniture--not fancy, but clean, functional, attractive and very home-y. Our second bedroom had a single bed only, but two double bedroom apartments are available in one of their other locations. What we had was fine for this visit. The light-weight down comforters were perfect and the beds appeared to be topped with memory foam that made them very comfortable. There is a lot of traffic noise, but being from rural Maine we always travel with earplugs anyway. We had a TV in the corner of the large bedroom (I think not in the little one) and a large flat panel with VCR/DVD player in the living room. The layout was typical for a 50's style apartment and we really appreciated all the closets, including a large hall closet, for our gear, as well as the door that shut off the living space from the sleeping space--perfect for family. The pink-tiled bathroom was shared with both bedrooms and had all we needed (no hairdryer, but I'd brought mine.) The kitchen is small--typical apartment size. There are enough flatware and dishes for four place settings, but a few extra would have been nice so we didn't have to keep washing dishes. Other supplies including dish soup, small pans, a nice knife set, and plastic containers/microwave dishes. The only thing we really missed was a cutting board and salt and pepper. The 12-cup coffee maker had coffee pouches for short pots (not sure how much it was supposed to make but certainly not the full 12-cups.) We got coffee and filters after the first night. The stove is apartment sized but sufficient for the 14-lb roast beef we cooked. There is daily housekeeping service but we didn't use it as there were extra towels, t.p. and soap in the hall closet. Although we didn't meet our housekeeper, we often ran into staff in the hall or courtyard and they we're always very friendly. We did have trouble trying to figure out the heat/cooling system. There is two-zone cooling provided by a fairly new a/c system but we couldn't figure out how to control the heat until I discovered a thermostat dial on the side of the cast iron radiator in each room. The thermostat on the wall is only for the a/c. On the desk just inside the door, there was a loose-leaf notebook with many pages of information which may have included details about the heat. Apparently, local restaurants will provide "room service" but we never took advantage of this. The wireless internet was great--no cost and no connection glitches.

The location is perfect. Shadyside is a great neighborhood and within close proximity to the Universities in Oakland as well as the various museums and attractions. A short walk down S. Aiken will bring you to Walnut Street with an assortment of shopping and restaurants. I was disappointed to find the usual expensive shops (Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Victoria's Secret, etc) but there are a few little privately owned shops mixed in including a nice, very expensive, gourmet grocery where we filled in the gaps. We drove to the nearby Giant Eagle supermarket for most of our groceries. As architecture/history buffs, we very much enjoyed walking the streets in the neighborhood and always felt safe, even after dark.

Shadyside Inn is our new home in Pittsburgh!

Hello TwofromMaine,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. So nice to hear that you were able to make us a family home base while you were in town. It sounds like you cooked up a wonderful feast! Shadyside is such a wonderful part of Pittsburgh. We often tell people that the area is like a Pittsburgh version of Georgetown, or Newbury Street in Boston. Since we are located in the residential section our guests have the added benefit of being able to walk the quite streets and take in the wonderful nature of the neighborhood. I see that you brought your doggie with you as well. He looks like he too approved of the suite! Thanks for showing some picutres as well. The old user pics on Trip Advisor are from almost five years ago, well before we renovated. Its nice too see that folks considering staying with us don't get the wrong idea now.

We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future if the need arises. We actually have six locations in Shadyside all within blocks of Walnut Street's retail district. On your next visit I would love to show your some of our other properties.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We recently stayed at the Shadyside Inn while in town for a family event. We had reserved a one-bedroom suite, but were given a two-bedroom upgrade. The check-in process was smooth and pleasant. We were offered bottled water and an apple, and were presented with a bag holding muffins, granola bars, and juice for the morning. The suite itself was spotless and very comfortable. We had a queen bed in one bedroom and a twin in the other. Nice to have lots of room to spread out! The suite also had a full kitchen, and a living/dining room combo. You could easily stay here for a few weeks if necessary.

The neighborhood is wonderful -- quick walk to Walnut Street and all of its shops and restaurants. The only downside was the parking. Of course, given its location, the options are limited, but we found ourselves having to park on the street at night, which wasn't ideal. Again, I doubt there is a solution, and the inn was full the nights we stayed, which played a role. Just don't be surprised if you have trouble navigating the parking lot -- spaces are tight and the lot is small.

I cannot say enough about the friendly and pleasant staff. We were always greeted with a smile, and everyone was more than willing to answer questions. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Hello NoodleW, many thanks for your kind words! Having such positive and communicative guests makes it so easy for our friendly staff to stay cheerful! We always try to upgrade guests to larger suites if they're available-- it's extra comfort for you and a chance for us to show off our finest remodeled suites. You mentioned that guests could easily stay for weeks if they wanted, and indeed that happens all the time: we offer dramatically discounted rates for guests who stay more than 30 nights.

Parking is indeed one of our greatest ongoing challenges. Between nearby Walnut Street's dozens of attractions and a steady stream of returning Shadyside Inn guests, parking is at a platinum premium. While we can't invent more space in Shadyside, we have instituted several policies to maximize ease of parking:
-- We offer a completely free shuttle service within a three mile radius of the Shadyside Inn, so you don't need to drive away for smaller day trips.
-- Our free parking permits are limited to one vehicle per suite, so nobody can take more than their fair share of parking space.
-- Speaking of fair, we regularly check the parking lot for unauthorized vehicles, and tow them when necessary.
-- Shadyside Inn guests who are coming from the Pittsburgh Airport are now eligible for discounted group pricing with Super Shuttle service: after the first guest at $33, each additional guest is only $11. This is a pretty good deal for flying families and groups, and should reduce the number of rental vehicles in our lots.
-- Finally, if Shadyside Inn guests find themselves parking on one of the nearby side-streets, the Shadyside Inn will fully reimburse you for any tickets that might occur.

I hope this sheds some light on how seriously we consider parking for our guests, and how appreciative we are of your feedback! Thanks again for the great review!