“Better than expected”

Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #24 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were a bit concerned by some of the previous reviews, but we really wanted an apartment, and we liked what we heard about the neighborhood. We had no reason to worry. The place is old but hardly run down. To our eyes, everything seemed clean and well-maintained. The front desk staff was personable and helpful. The rooms were large and recently renovated. The furniture and facilities were attractive and in good repair. We had no complaints about our lodging at all. One small irritation was a couple of student-aged neighbors who would block open the exterior door while they smoked in the garden. Their smoke, unfortunately, did not stay outside with them due to the open door. I had to go down and close the door repeatedly. The only other minor irritation is that the (free) parking spaces at the rear of the property are incredibly small. Getting in and out was difficult.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeenThereDC
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thanks for the review; we're excited to have exceeded your expectations! While we don't always agree with some of the negative reviews online, they do give us the opportunity to surprise guests with the quality and freshness of our suites!

As for those outdoor smoking neighbors, always feel free to contact the front desk if a fellow guest is acting less than courteously-- our staff is glad to ensure that others' smoke stays outside.

Finally, we're sorry about the close-quarters parking-- Shadyside's popularity for shopping, dining, and fun means that parking space is famously in short supply, so we try to squeeze in as many complimentary spots as safely possible.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Last weekend we stayed for two nights at the Shadyside Inn. Prior to booking I checked out the Tripadvisor opinions and found them to be mixed. As our favorite hotel was unavailable, we decided to give it a try. Accomodations are in old converted apartments, hence the mixed reviews. Our rooms were clean, well furnished and reminded us of short term military housing. The kitchen was well appointed for a short stay, and again very clean. The linens were crisp with plenty of towels and convenience toiletries. For someone needing short term housing, it could provide a comfortable stay. We are in the midst of planning for an upcoming college graduation party and initially thought these apartments might be a nice venue. Our visit changed our minds as we want something more upscale. Would we return for a routine visit to Pittsburgh? If we need a reasonably priced place, including a kitchen, yes. For the price we paid, we got what we needed. Nothing fancy, but functional. Shadyside is much like an European 2 star hotel.

Room Tip: Be very specific about size, efficiency, number of bedrooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for trying us out, and for your thoughtful review! Our unique location and facilities are certainly a step beyond the ordinary, and we appreciate that you described our dedication to cleanliness and comfortable furnishings. As a venue for a college graduation party, I would recommend instead our Mansion Suites-- entire houses in Shadyside refurbished with luxury in mind. For guests staying at our primary facilities, you can take advantage of the many nearby restaurants and bars for their social events, and then return to the Shadyside Inn for a good night's sleep.

If we're like a European hotel, we aspire to the great service and high comfort of an exclusive all-suites hotel in Luxembourg or Andorra!

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I was in Pittsburgh to say goodby to some family moving west and again stayed at Shadyside Inn. I felt like I was remembered and treated like an old friend . The staff made sure my every need was met and the apt. was beautiful. It was nice getting food from nearby resturants and sitting with a few friends on a couch and at a table instead of on a bed like a regular hotel room. I tell everyone going to Pgh to stay at the Shadyside Inn

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Thanks so much for visiting us again! We're glad we could help you have that "hanging out in the living room with friends" experience that's so hard to find when you're traveling. Now that your friend's moved, we hope you'll find some other reason to come on back!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

As a new visitor to Pittsburgh, I didn't know what to expect from this inn. I usually stay in chain hotels because one knows what they will be getting when they arrive. I chose this inn because of its proximity to Carnegie Melon and the discount it afforded for the university guests. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this inn. The front desk was courteous and kind. They addressed our every need and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Although the van service ended at 8:00 PM, they allowed us to use this service beyond the time due to the circumstances of our late arrival and newness to the surroundings. The 2 bedroom suite was comfortable, had air conditioners in the living room and master bedroom, and an overhead fan in the second bedroom. I asked for a quiet room and that is exactly what they gave us--an inside room that was away from the street noise and any other elevators or entrances. The kitchen was supplied with all that you need to cook and prepare good meals. The living room had a comfortable sectional and chairs that viewed a large LCD television. The telephone had its own answering machine, which made it helpful for the business we were conducting. The exterior door locks and the additional locks on the room entrance made me feel secure. I will come back here again in the next year.

Room Tip: When making the reservation include notes for individual tastes.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lv2trvl3
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My wife and I visit Pittsburgh every year to visit friends and we always stay at the Shadyside Inn. The rooms are more like apartments with full kitchen and are always very clean and comfortable. We can walk to the shops and restaurants, which are only a few blocks away. Thanks to all the staff who were so nice and made our stay the perfect get away!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goadam123
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I have stayed here several times never been offered a discount for Pitt, although I have mentioned I have a student at Pitt. Never will stay here again. This whole establishment needs a makeover, the buildings are old and very outdated. Halls and common areas are hot and smelly. Anyone cooks in their room you will smell it for days. Staff and housekeeping have tattoos, look shady. Do not delay on the morning of checkout, at 11am they start pounding on your door and every 15 minutes thereafter until you are ready to scream.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank labfaux
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We're sorry that you were unsatisfied with your most recent stay. Guests who are visiting the University of Pittsburgh are definitely eligible for a discounted rate if they request one at check-in. While we regret that the hallways were warm, with currently record-high temperatures in Pittsburgh, we focus on keeping each suite cool and comfortable. Our housekeeping policy is to not knock on doors until you have stayed past your scheduled departure time.

The Shadyside Inn's housekeeping staff is effective, trustworthy, and respectful-- skin decorations such as tattoos do not, in our experience, reflect negatively on their professional performance or the quality of their character.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I travel a lot for work and unfortunately sleep in hotel beds more than my own. Most hotels I frequent seem sterile and forgettable, but not the Shadyside Inn. I stayed here for the first time two years ago and haven't stayed anywhere else in Pittsburgh since then. All of their rooms are suites and have a small kitchen and living/dining room area. You can't beat the space you get for the price and it feels a lot like home. I have only had one small issue with a key not working but the friendly woman behind the desk took care of the problem in only a few short minutes. Clean, affordable,convenient, friendly staff...what more can you ask for?? I would recommend this hotel to anyone...and I have.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business