“A well trained trainee”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I unexpectedly stayed here one night in January when my flight home from Pittsburgh was canceled because of snow. As a result I checked in at around 5:00 when my business for the day was completed and was met by Chris. His name tag said something to the effect that he was new, but he was very well trained. He welcomed me, asked if I needed any information, and told me about the hotel. When I asked about convenience toiletries since I was staying overnight unexpectedly, he immediately retrieved a variety of items for me, including a toothbrush, tooth paste, hair comb, mouth wash, etc.

Later when I asked about the hotel's shuttle and whether it could take me to a restaurant that I had heard of, he immediately told me that it was within the 3 mile radius of the hotel and asked what time I wished to go.

This stay could have been very unpleasant given the circumstances, but Chris, his smile and his trainer saved it.

Room Tip: The platform that my bed was on was too large for the room as a result I whacked my knee pretty hard...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank use_2_love_2_travel
Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear use_2_love_2_travel:

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful remarks about your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. It is always great to hear how much our guests enjoyed their visit to our hotel and to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with Chris and the entire team. Given the unfortunate circumstances of your stay due to weather delays, I am very pleased to hear we were able to provide you with a postive and hopefully memorable experience. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and hopefully it is not due to an unexpected delays. Once again thank you very much for sharing feedback regarding your experience.

Yours truly,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located and priced, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Their shuttle service was also terrific and their driver was most pleasant and helpful. Our room was very clean and the overall appearance of the hotel was neat. The only complaints are there was no way we could turn off the blower to the heat in our room so it seemed a bit noisy and made it feel a bit drafty; and the breakfast we had there was way overpriced and not worth the money (homefries were dry). These things were not a deal breaker and we would stay there again. Even the beds are adjustable to accommodate for the firmness to suit your comfort level.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear 4Guest22;

Thank you very much for providing feedback regarding your current visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. We strive to be the best at what we do and I am very happy to hear that your overall experience was a positive one. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Yours truly in hospitality

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I think we enjoyed all the features the hotel had to offer - from the shuttle, to the gym, the bar and the made to order breakfast buffet in the restaurant. The Staff was extremely helpful in making it a great trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear 4Guest22:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were team members were able to make a positive impact during your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Hospitably yours,

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

One of the most amazing and useful things that the hilton has to offer is their shuttle service. They willtake you within a 3 mile radius and when you want to be picked up you just call and there you go! The maid service is good. Also in the evenings the hotel puts out some lovely melon and cucumber water with delicious cookies ( seriously they are so good).

• Stayed: February 2014
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Cc B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Yours truly in hospitality,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was Christmas party Night and we got chance to stay here, was nice and clean Room. though no hotel parking( Free ) you have to pay to hotel to park in their garage.($15.00)xtra. close to Carnegi Museium and music hall, close to all nice places you need to go. hotel shuttle service available.....

Room Tip: if you are in town, give a try....
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear kalpesh59,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful remarks about your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. It is always great to hear how much our guests enjoyed their visit to our hotel and the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the entire team. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered with the overnight valet parking we offer. We will review your comments and suggestions with our team members in order to implement change where necessary.

Once again thank you very much for sharing feedback regarding your experience.

Best,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

From the moment you walk into this hotel, you realize it has been updated, but still has an old feel to it. The check-in desk from the street requires you to walk up a flight of stairs. The front desk personnel were awful, extremely bland with absolutely no personality. The room walls were extremely thin and any type of noise could be heard from the room next door. Although wi-fi was free, it was horrible - terrible connection. Asked for some shaving cream hoping someone could bring it up to my room, but was informed I should come down to get it. Location is close to the University of Pittsburgh and they have a shuttle (however, you must sign up before hand and also it only leaves on the top of the hour) - that makes it extremely inconvenient if you have a meeting on the :30. Wouldn't stay here again with these problems and would find other options in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear natedawg4040,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. i assure you that your comments will be reviewed by our executive team and corrective action will be taken where necessary. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights. TV only had a few channels the first night and the bed was unusually terrible. Otherwise, it was clean and has a good proximity to UPMC. I took the public bus from the airport. It was a little long but cheap and easy. I like the kurig cups in the room.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Hungry Climber,

Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action where necessary.

I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com. We hope to have the chance to make this up to you and once again we are very sorry for the incident.

Best,