“Nice Hotel/Nice Rooms/Nice Everything”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Columbia, Maryland
“Nice Hotel/Nice Rooms/Nice Everything”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

From the valet parking to the front desk to the room, we received excellent professional courteous service. The food is great at this hotel. It would be perfect if there was a pool but we were not there for leisure. I would stay there anytime regardless of no pool or not. Please note they only have valet parking which is $18.00 per night. Considering there isn't much parking there, it is worth the price. I'm a very picky person when it comes to hotels and this one was pretty top notch. The staff were always very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Yours truly in hospitality,

Sean G.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding I was in so that my husband could use the shuttle service since he was not in the wedding. We were not told we had to sign up to use it and as a result my husband could not get to the wedding on the shuttle. This happened to over 30 of the wedding guests that booked at this hotel. The bride had to send her limo bus to pick all of these people up so that they could be at her reception. The room was uncomfortable and so hot I could not sleep. The girl at checkout did not even ask us how our stay was and we had to pay $20 for breakfast. Even Best Western offers a free continental breakfast - the Hiltons have billions and they can't give you some ceral?! When I called to report the problem I was told that even though I was complaining about my experience because other people had a problem with the shuttle it was now a group problem and they had to give the hotel 3 days to fix it. So I waited 3 days and no one contacted me. I had to contact them which made me even more disgusted with this hotel. Perhaps they would not have so many bad reviews if they were more worried about their guests satisfaction than making a quick buck. For the cost of the room and $20 a day for parking I expected to have the greatest hotel experience I have ever had since I usually stay at the holiday inn. The only good things I can say about this hotel are the bartender we had was wonderful and the manager Bill that ended up taking care of me was great. Other than that this hotel has nothing to offer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Hospitably yours,
coraopolis, United States
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the location of my wedding reception. The hotel looked very nice and the bar staff was wonderful. But the accommodations when I booked were not true. I needed shuttle service for my guests because the wedding was in the city and there was lack of parking. My guests were not made aware of the shuttle sign up to be able to use it. Some of my guests almost missed my wedding because the service wouldn’t let them get on. The shuttle also appeared empty when the bridal party drove by. The guests were calling me in my limo asking what to do which stressed me out as a bride. I asked very nicely to have my limo driver to go pick up my friends and family at the hotel to get them to drop them off for me. Friends and family knew the shuttle times, but were not aware that if they didn’t sign up they wouldn’t be allowed to get on. I actually had decided to rent a service to take my guest back to the hotel from my wedding that way there wasn’t any concerns for my guests. This mean I had to spend extra money on a service that I was told would be provided and very welcoming to my guests. This was not the case.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Rebekah K
Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Rebekah K,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences and assure you that your comments will be shared with the appropriate team members in order to implement corrective action.

Once again, my apologies for the issues experienced with the complimentary shuttle service we offer.

Best,
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton Garden Inn hotel was clean and well decorated.The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly.It was located near the hospital and they provide a free shuttle to nearby restaurants and attractions.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lenny250,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with our location and also with the service you receive during your visits. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hospitably Yours,
Mount Airy, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Hotel was pretty nice. Front desk staff gave differing directions to University which resulted in me getting lost/arriving late to a meeting. The Keurig in the room was digustingly filthy with caked up coffee grounds in it requiring me to run water through it about 10 times before it ran clear. Beds were ok, but could hear people in the next room.

1 Thank Theresa J
Dear Theresa J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you experienced issues during your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team and as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and I assure you that corrective actions will be implemented where necessary,

We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Best,
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is very nice with an excellent location. During events such as football games, graduation or the beginning of school, the rates are increased considerably. The front desk staff is very helpful and the valet parking folk are great. There are plenty of options for food & drink well within walking distance & I would highly recommend the food & drink at those other spots as this hotel bar is very overpriced. They even charged us for ICE in our drinks !!!! You read that correctly.
Overall, its still a solid hotel, located in the heart of the university, but it can be a bit pricey. Breakfast is not included, by the way!

Dear Mike H,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your past visit to the HGI Pittsburgh University Place. We are glad that you enjoyed the overall experience and service received from your past stay, but apologize for the other issues you mentioned. Our goal is to go out of our way to make every guest feel welcome and also to deliver a memorable experience. Your feedback will be shared with the team to reiterate how important it is to uphold this standard.

Hospitably yours,
Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My son and myself stayed here during a recent visit to U Pitt. It's location was only a few blocks from U Pitt, which made it a perfect location if you have any business at U Pitt. The hotel is in walking distance of the university and I was able to check out in the morning, and leave my bags and car at the hotel. This made it very easy to visit the university and not worry about finding a parking space at the university.

Dear John Z,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. One of the most important factors when selecting a hotel is location and trusting that you will have a great experience. I am very pleased to hear that you were overall satisfied with your trip and that the location was a great fit for your soon to be Pitt Alumni.

We hope to see you again soon!