“shuttle service not accommodating”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the location of my wedding reception. The hotel looked very nice and the bar staff was wonderful. But the accommodations when I booked were not true. I needed shuttle service for my guests because the wedding was in the city and there was lack of parking. My guests were not made aware of the shuttle sign up to be able to use it. Some of my guests almost missed my wedding because the service wouldn’t let them get on. The shuttle also appeared empty when the bridal party drove by. The guests were calling me in my limo asking what to do which stressed me out as a bride. I asked very nicely to have my limo driver to go pick up my friends and family at the hotel to get them to drop them off for me. Friends and family knew the shuttle times, but were not aware that if they didn’t sign up they wouldn’t be allowed to get on. I actually had decided to rent a service to take my guest back to the hotel from my wedding that way there wasn’t any concerns for my guests. This mean I had to spend extra money on a service that I was told would be provided and very welcoming to my guests. This was not the case.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rebekah K
Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Rebekah K,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences and assure you that your comments will be shared with the appropriate team members in order to implement corrective action.

Once again, my apologies for the issues experienced with the complimentary shuttle service we offer.

Best,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton Garden Inn hotel was clean and well decorated.The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly.It was located near the hospital and they provide a free shuttle to nearby restaurants and attractions.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lenny250,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with our location and also with the service you receive during your visits. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hospitably Yours,

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Hotel was pretty nice. Front desk staff gave differing directions to University which resulted in me getting lost/arriving late to a meeting. The Keurig in the room was digustingly filthy with caked up coffee grounds in it requiring me to run water through it about 10 times before it ran clear. Beds were ok, but could hear people in the next room.

1  Thank Theresa J

Dear Theresa J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you experienced issues during your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team and as we continually work to improve our guest experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and I assure you that corrective actions will be implemented where necessary,

We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Best,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is very nice with an excellent location. During events such as football games, graduation or the beginning of school, the rates are increased considerably. The front desk staff is very helpful and the valet parking folk are great. There are plenty of options for food & drink well within walking distance & I would highly recommend the food & drink at those other spots as this hotel bar is very overpriced. They even charged us for ICE in our drinks !!!! You read that correctly.
Overall, its still a solid hotel, located in the heart of the university, but it can be a bit pricey. Breakfast is not included, by the way!

Dear Mike H,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your past visit to the HGI Pittsburgh University Place. We are glad that you enjoyed the overall experience and service received from your past stay, but apologize for the other issues you mentioned. Our goal is to go out of our way to make every guest feel welcome and also to deliver a memorable experience. Your feedback will be shared with the team to reiterate how important it is to uphold this standard.

Hospitably yours,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My son and myself stayed here during a recent visit to U Pitt. It's location was only a few blocks from U Pitt, which made it a perfect location if you have any business at U Pitt. The hotel is in walking distance of the university and I was able to check out in the morning, and leave my bags and car at the hotel. This made it very easy to visit the university and not worry about finding a parking space at the university.

Dear John Z,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. One of the most important factors when selecting a hotel is location and trusting that you will have a great experience. I am very pleased to hear that you were overall satisfied with your trip and that the location was a great fit for your soon to be Pitt Alumni.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The staff are anything but helpful. Reservation was messed up. They have an issue that causes the hotel to shake, very well aware of it and act like they aren't. Now have Keurigs, but was told I would be charged for hot chocolate even though I do not drink coffee or Earl Grey tea. Parking is a complete disaster. Over priced and no room. Also you have to go down to get your car. They refuse to bring it when you call so it can be there and warm by the time you get down stairs. Very disappointed in this hotel as a Hilton Honors member.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lisa S
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Lisa S,

Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.

I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our Front Desk personnel and also with the Valet department. Unfortunately due to security measures we do ask guests to present the valet voucher prior to retrieving the vehicle. I would also like to mention that based on your comments we have now implemented new procedures in order to better serve our guests.

Hospitably yours,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great location. Great rooms. Restaurant. Bar. You can walk to the "dirty O", Primanti Bros and more. There are so many good bars and restaurants in the neighborhood. We also took a taxi to and from Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. Shuttle is great too. Just too busy on game days if you want to be spoiled and have a flex schedule you need the taxi. Pittsburgh Taxi drivers are too great. There are some good ones, but for some reason, we've run into a lot of bad ones too. Do not try to get a taxi home from The Rivers after a game. It won't happen. Please take an incline ride and party on carson street at the south shore. These are musts.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Samuel C,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience here at the hotel and also the insight on our wonderful city and things to do while in town. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with our location and also with the service you receive during your visits. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hospitably Yours,