“Nice hotel but the beds were terrible” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Bethesda, United States
“Nice hotel but the beds were terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This should have been just another pleasant stay at a Hilton Garden Inn. And it was except that the beds were incredibly hard...like sleeping on wood planks...and the touted bed adjustment mechanism advertised at check in didn't work. The result was a miserable nights sleep and an overall bad impression. The first rule of hoteling is that the guest must have a good nights sleep or they will hate the hotel. Time to review that adage Hilton.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our beds. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com.

Best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here while looking at colleges with my son. Very clean, comfortable, and convenient. Staff was very helpful. They helped with directions, places to eat. Valet parking was terrific and fast. Beds and especially pillows were quite comfortable. Terrific wifi, too. We were able to stream on Netflix without interruption.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. After reading your comments, I am pleased to see that our team was able to provide exceptional service throughout your stay. Our entire team believes in going above and beyond in order to ensure all of our guests have a comfortable and memorable experience once they enter the hotel. I see that you visited the area due to a planned visit to the area universities; we hope you enjoyed your visit and we wish your child well in their decision.

Thank you for your time as well as feedback on your experience. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Yours in Hospitality,
South East PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have stayed there several times before. We were staying there to move my daughter in the dorms. When we first got there, we were encountered a large SUV blocking the entrance to tbe parking garage. It appears the SUV could not fit in the garage so he was instructed to park there. The problem was I was trying to get into the garage as well as a few cars behind me. This then placed a car dangerously blocking Forbes Avenue. Although this was an odd event, a serious car accident could have resulted. We got to the room and it was a suite, and very nice. However there were no blankets for the pull out sofa. A call to the desk promised blankets but they never came. Water pressure in the shower sucked so my wife and I resorted to baths. The ice maker on that floor did not work. Disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action. I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our valet department. Unfortunately due to our location and the oversized vehicle that blocked the entrance at that time we did experience a slight dilemma; however, we have now implemented new procedures in order to prevent this from happening again.

Best,
Pittsburgh, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Until I took their van they provided excellent service. I was told to call and provide my location when ready to come back to the hotel. While exploring the area on Mt Washington and then going to area by the Point Park I asked a police officer if the hotel was in walking distance. After providing the address of Hilton Garden Inn on my reservation I proceeded to walk. However after walking 1/2 hour it was clear the hotel was not close by and it became increasing desolate and now getting dark. I called the hotel and told the front desk my problem and asked if they could have the van pick me up? They connected me to the van driver who requested I walk to the next corner and provide an intersecting street so he would know where I was. When I told him he said that was not helpful because Forbes Ave was a one way. I told him I felt unsafe being unfamiliar with the area, it was deserted and no taxi or other transportation was in sight. He kept insisting that he could not help me. I asked if he had a GPS and he said he did not and couldn't help me. I called AAA which I am a member and the tow trucks were a short distance away and as they always do came through! The driver from AAA told me there was no transportation in the area. He and his colleagues were as appalled as I was that no one at Hilton Garden Inn would assist me. When I left the next morning I also informed the woman at the front desk who matter of factly said "I sorry"! I am too because it is unlikely I would stay at a Hilton or recommend one again. Fortunately I am safe and AAA goes above and beyond when you don't follow through on a service you claim to offer even in an emergency.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Ann Lorraine B
Dear Ms. Ann Lorraine B:

I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced regarding directions and transportation during your stay, if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com. We hope to have the chance to make this up to you and once again we are very sorry for the incident that took place.

Hospitably yours,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This has been by far one of the BEST hotels I have ever stayed in. My room was spacious, the bed was big, linens crisp and clean, pillows SO SO SOOO fluffy, and I truely had a great nights sleep.

The bathroom was also very nice, granite countertop, nice pressure on the shower head and overall VERY CLEAN.

I ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, the staff at the bar were extremely nice and personable, and everyone that I encountered from the cooks, to the waitresses, to housekeeping was extremely nice and welcoming.

The only downside for ME was the location, as it's not within walking distance of any Pittsburgh tourist attractions, but if you're dropping a kid off at PITT or Carnigie Melon than this is a good spot because its right there.

Also, I think valet's a little steep at $18/day. Aside from that, I definitely enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. One of the most important factors when selecting a hotel is the cleanliness of a property, and our team takes great pride in keeping both our guestrooms and public areas spotless for our valued guests. I am very pleased to hear that you were overall satisfied with your trip.

We hope to see you again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our daughter is at Pitt and we've stayed at this hotel several times. The location was why we originally picked it. Now we come back because the rooms are clean and the staff very friendly. Valet is great. They even accommodated our SUV with a roof box. The manager, Sean, was very helpful. And I have to mention Darryl who saw that I looked thirsty when I returned from a run and offered me a bottle of water. That's great service!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. We look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to PITT.

Yours truly in hospitality,

Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Friendly efficient staff, good breakfast, clean rooms. A wonderful hotel; my choice always when in the area. Staff is always helpful. The room is comfortable.Valet parking were generally quick and courteous. The breakfast area is well lit with good food.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
First and foremost I would like to personally thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we pride ourselves on delivering a true hospitable experience and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,