“Hotel Filled to Capacity, but Never Felt Crowded.”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Philadelphia, PA
“Hotel Filled to Capacity, but Never Felt Crowded.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just returned from a two-night business trip in Pittsburgh, where I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn University Place. The hotel was filled to capacity during my stay, due in part to the NCAA Frozen Four hockey tournament/finals. Hockey fans were EVERYWHERE, but the hotel did not seem crowded, and the noise level was not extreme.

My room was spacious and clean. The decor has a mod-retro vibe, with lime green accent paint and bolster on the bed, an orange armchair, and silver and brown accessories. The pressure of the bed can be adjusted from firm to soft, which is a nice feature. The bathroom features toiletries from Bath and Bodyworks and Neutrogena.

One of the elevators was not working when I first arrived, so I decided to take the stairs back down to the mezzenaine. Once was enough for that! The stairs are truly a scary experience. They are narrow and dusty. I felt a little unsafe, but my fears were unwarranted. Both elevators were operating by the second day. And even with one elevator, I never experienced any delays.

My only recommendation is to try to get a room that does not face the front/street side of the hotel. It can be noisy at night with University of Pittsburgh students walking up and down Forbes Ave. With that being said, the hotel is in a prime location for visiting Pitt, as well as Carnegie Mellon.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from Forbes and McKee (the front/street side of the hotel). It tends to be a lit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear ShellChelle901:

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. After reading your comments, I am pleased to see that our team was able to provide exceptional service throughout your stay. Our entire team believes in going above and beyond in order to ensure all of our guests have a comfortable and memorable experience once they enter the hotel. I see you visited the area during a very busy weekend with the Frozen Four Tournament that took place less than a mile from the hotel; however, we were able to deliver a wonderful experience. We take our scores very seriously and I will be sure to share your positive comments with all of our team members.

Thank you for your time as well as feedback on your experience. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Sean G.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Nicely updated hotel just west of the University of Pittsburgh Medical center. Well appointed hotel with a great staff and freshly updated rooms. We spent two nights here and found everyone to be helpful and truly engaged in our stay. The rooms are nicely set up with free wireless, a nice sized desk and either a king-sized bed or a pair of queen-sized beds. One great feature is the hotel offers a local shuttle (3 mile radius) to drop or pick up as scheduled. If the breakfast buffet could take it up a notch it would be great! Promotes a special rate for CMU or Pitt visitors, although with the Final Four of Hockey in town during our stay they cold not honor the rate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mitch_K2012
Dear Mitch_K2012:

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. I am pleased to see that you were very pleased with your overall experience, and that our location to many area businesses, restaurants and shops were a convenient amenity during your stay. I do apologize for the issues you encountered with the local negotiated rate availability; however, am very pleased to see that we met your overall expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback, and for your business. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area!

West Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice, very clean and in a great location. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The van driver, CJ, was entertaining as he took us to area attractions. My only recommendation is that if you like a pillow that has some support, bring your own. Their pillows are so soft, they are virtually non-existent. We asked for firmer pillows twice, but each time they brought the same flimsy soft ones we had to start out with. They were foam, but just as flimsy as the down versions. The hotel would merit a five-star rating with that one change.

On the brighter side, their location is great- lots of restaurants nearby, right on the bus line and they will drive you anywhere within a couple of miles.

If you take a cab here from the airport, be forewarned that cab drivers confuse this with the Wyndham, so make sure you have the address and are sure of where you are before the cabbie leaves.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ChaosRowdie;

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. I am pleased to see you were able to gain valuable rest while with us, and that our location to many area restaurants and shops were a convenient amenity during your stay. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback on the shuttle service and CJ, and will certainly share your comments regarding your stay with the entire team.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Would give zero stars if I could since my only experience was unpleasant and I never actually was able to stay in the room I reserved. Had a confirmed reservation for April 11. Arrived late the evening of April 11. The front desk clerk, Tony, first stated that my reservation was for April 12. I called him on it. He then suggested that "something must have happened" and he couldn't explain it. He then promptly told me I was going to the Clarion Hotel, out by the airport. The hotel clearly gave away my room b/c the area was crowded for the NCAA Frozen Four. Not once did anyone say "sorry."

Unreal.

1 Thank HCNPhilly
Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com. We hope to have the chance to make this up to you and once again we are very sorry for the incident.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited the weekend of April 5-6 2013; The location is perfect for visiting University of Pittsburgh. Only a few blocks walk to the campus. The room seemed small, but was comfortable and clean. Would have appreciated if the front desk staff could have accommodated our request for a University of Pittsburgh visitors discount (they claimed they couldn't??). Can't say enough about the valet parking staff - they were great and very helpful. Lots of great eating choices within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sean G, Assitant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear scarusso44m,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful remarks about your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. It is always great to hear how much our guests enjoyed their visit to our hotel and the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. I would like to apologize for the rate issues you encountered. Unfortunately, we do experience high demand times when certain rates are not available in our systems. I would like to encourage you to make any future reservations as far in advance in order to secure the best discounted rate available. . We look forward to seeing you again in the future and hope to have the chance to make this up to you.

Once again thank you very much for sharing feedback regarding your experience.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel has a convenient location, clean and comfortable rooms, and qualified staff. I stayed there for only one night, and had no problem. I visited the bar at night, and it was quite decent. Nothing fancy in the room, but everything in working order. Check-in and check-out were both smooth.

Dear Simon H,

First and foremost I would like to personally thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we pride ourselves on delivering a true “Home away from Home” hospitable experience and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Morgantown, WV
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at University Place the weekend of April 6-7. We selected the hotel based its close proximity to the Petersen Events Center and other positive guest reviews. The valet service is fantastic, all valet employees extremely helpful not just with parking and bags, but offering directions and other assistance without being asked. The front desk service is also exceptional. In fact, one of the front desk employees came out from behind the desk to offer us assistance with our luggage and also offered our daughter a "treat" from the hotel's treat box. We stayed in a suite with a king bed and a separate living room with a pull-out sofa. The room also had two full baths and a kitchenette area. If you are staying for more than a night and room size is a concern, I would recommend upgrading to this room type. Several of our friends stayed in this hotel as well, and their rooms were much smaller - clean, but small. Again, we didn't have this issue. Outside street noise was present, but this I think would be the same with any hotel in this location. We also had the opportunity to visit the hotel restaurant for breakfast during our stay, and the service again was exceptional. Same with the shuttle service. The gentleman who drove us around that weekend was very friendly and helpful - and most importantly got us where we needed to be when we needed to be there! Overall great hotel. We will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear wisegirl05,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Yours truly in hospitality,