“Great hotel, Bring your own pillow”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
West Fargo, North Dakota
“Great hotel, Bring your own pillow”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice, very clean and in a great location. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. The van driver, CJ, was entertaining as he took us to area attractions. My only recommendation is that if you like a pillow that has some support, bring your own. Their pillows are so soft, they are virtually non-existent. We asked for firmer pillows twice, but each time they brought the same flimsy soft ones we had to start out with. They were foam, but just as flimsy as the down versions. The hotel would merit a five-star rating with that one change.

On the brighter side, their location is great- lots of restaurants nearby, right on the bus line and they will drive you anywhere within a couple of miles.

If you take a cab here from the airport, be forewarned that cab drivers confuse this with the Wyndham, so make sure you have the address and are sure of where you are before the cabbie leaves.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear ChaosRowdie;

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. I am pleased to see you were able to gain valuable rest while with us, and that our location to many area restaurants and shops were a convenient amenity during your stay. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback on the shuttle service and CJ, and will certainly share your comments regarding your stay with the entire team.

Thank you again for your feedback, and for your business. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area!

Yours in Hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Would give zero stars if I could since my only experience was unpleasant and I never actually was able to stay in the room I reserved. Had a confirmed reservation for April 11. Arrived late the evening of April 11. The front desk clerk, Tony, first stated that my reservation was for April 12. I called him on it. He then suggested that "something must have happened" and he couldn't explain it. He then promptly told me I was going to the Clarion Hotel, out by the airport. The hotel clearly gave away my room b/c the area was crowded for the NCAA Frozen Four. Not once did anyone say "sorry."

Unreal.

1 Thank HCNPhilly
Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com. We hope to have the chance to make this up to you and once again we are very sorry for the incident.

Yours in Hospitality,

Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited the weekend of April 5-6 2013; The location is perfect for visiting University of Pittsburgh. Only a few blocks walk to the campus. The room seemed small, but was comfortable and clean. Would have appreciated if the front desk staff could have accommodated our request for a University of Pittsburgh visitors discount (they claimed they couldn't??). Can't say enough about the valet parking staff - they were great and very helpful. Lots of great eating choices within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sean G, Assitant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear scarusso44m,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful remarks about your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. It is always great to hear how much our guests enjoyed their visit to our hotel and the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. I would like to apologize for the rate issues you encountered. Unfortunately, we do experience high demand times when certain rates are not available in our systems. I would like to encourage you to make any future reservations as far in advance in order to secure the best discounted rate available. . We look forward to seeing you again in the future and hope to have the chance to make this up to you.

Once again thank you very much for sharing feedback regarding your experience.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel has a convenient location, clean and comfortable rooms, and qualified staff. I stayed there for only one night, and had no problem. I visited the bar at night, and it was quite decent. Nothing fancy in the room, but everything in working order. Check-in and check-out were both smooth.

Dear Simon H,

First and foremost I would like to personally thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we pride ourselves on delivering a true “Home away from Home” hospitable experience and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Morgantown, WV
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at University Place the weekend of April 6-7. We selected the hotel based its close proximity to the Petersen Events Center and other positive guest reviews. The valet service is fantastic, all valet employees extremely helpful not just with parking and bags, but offering directions and other assistance without being asked. The front desk service is also exceptional. In fact, one of the front desk employees came out from behind the desk to offer us assistance with our luggage and also offered our daughter a "treat" from the hotel's treat box. We stayed in a suite with a king bed and a separate living room with a pull-out sofa. The room also had two full baths and a kitchenette area. If you are staying for more than a night and room size is a concern, I would recommend upgrading to this room type. Several of our friends stayed in this hotel as well, and their rooms were much smaller - clean, but small. Again, we didn't have this issue. Outside street noise was present, but this I think would be the same with any hotel in this location. We also had the opportunity to visit the hotel restaurant for breakfast during our stay, and the service again was exceptional. Same with the shuttle service. The gentleman who drove us around that weekend was very friendly and helpful - and most importantly got us where we needed to be when we needed to be there! Overall great hotel. We will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear wisegirl05,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Mansfield PA
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn University Place in Pittsburgh. Got a little confused about valet parking and parked myself, then didn't know what to do. Fortunately, the valet took care of me and showed me to the lobby. The staff was very friendly, and the rooms were well-appointed and very clean. When the room next door to me got too loud, I called the front desk and was moved immediately. They even offered a free breakfast to compensate me for my trouble. I will definitely stay here again. The price was reasonable, and the service was wonderful.

Room Tip: If they are hosting a wedding party, ask to be placed as far away as possible.
1 Thank MUfoodie
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and also with the service you received from our team members. We strive to be the best at what we do and are very committed to creating the most hospitable experience! Based on your comments I see that you encountered issues throughout your stay; however, were very pleased with how those issues were resolved. We take our scores and comments very seriously in order to ensure we are making the correct changes to ensure our Hilton Promise 100% satisfaction guarantee. Although there are many things that are beyond our control, how we handle each situation (service) is within our control. I appreciate your time and hope you will consider using our hotel again the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just stayed three nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in the Oakland (university) neighborhood of Pittsburgh. We were two adults, two teenage daughters. The place was great - clean, modern, with excellent queen-size beds with adjustable firmness (on each side!). The restaurant was also very good. Don't get put off by the $12.95 for the breakfast buffet - you can also order a la carte. Fitness center was also excellent, spacious with two ellipticals, several treadmills, a complex (though very good once you figure it out) weight machine, towels, and water cooler. The only issue is parking - it's $18 a day for the valet parking (necessary because the indoor parking lot is very small) - and then you have to deal with waiting for your car when you need it. We didn't use the lot, but then again we had taken our car with us when we left the hotel each day. We then parked on the street in the evening and overnight (the metered spaces are enforced from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.). But we enjoyed our stay and would stay again/recommend to others.

Room Tip: When we visited in early April 2013, one of the elevators was being renovated - if that is still the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear JohnB_WDC:

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. We strive to be the best at what we do and I am glad to see that you were pleased with your overall experience. We are a truly unique Hilton Garden Inn due to our urban location and inner city surroundings. Unfortunately, this also means that space is at a premium and we do charge for the valet service we provide. I am happy to see that you were able to secure other parking arangements that better suited your needs during your visit. We are not your typical Hilton Garden Inn location; however, we offer all and more than your standard Hilton Garden Inn. We are committed to creating the most hospitable experience for all of our guests and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.