“Service animal troubles”

Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Houston, Texas
“Service animal troubles”
Reviewed October 9, 2010

For the Most part this is just an " OK " hotel.
Its your standard Marriott, in a great location in Pittsburgh but it is an old hotel badly in need of renovation.
The rooms are older and so is the hotel and the whole place could use an over haul.
I checked in with my service animal and let them know I do travel with a canine companion and all seemd well, however during my stay I was harrassed by security and told I Would have to "get out" if I didnt provide documentation for the dog.
My partner was locked out of the room and denined access to get back in out of malice over the dog issue.
Window washers were right out side my window at 7:30 AM makeing noise, maids were noisey in hallway and in general my stay at THIS hotel was less than steller and far under what I have come to expect from Marriott.
I got this hotel on Priceline.com and didn't pay full price, so for the money I spent it was just OK, but had I paid full price, I would have been VERY upset. I also do not think they should be charging the price they do for a night's stay for what they offer.
I decided to leave a day early due to the poor experience. I will most likley will not return.
I did speak to a Gentelman by the name of Robert J Plutto, the director of room operations, who apologized for my bad experience. He was nice, but an apololgy doesn't make up for the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars here and left early due to being mistreat. It seems that some of the staff here do "anything it takes" to make the guest feel uncomfortable.
Parking was 26 dollars a night - way to expensive.
Food was below avarage.
Swimming pool was dirty.
Rooms were shabby and in need of renovation and were not cleaned very well.
Security could take a few lessons on how to do his job with more tact.
Front desk staff was nice except for one gentelman supervisor who shall remain nameless.
My suggestion - there are other nicer hotels in this area of town. I would choose to stay there.
This Marriott is NOT UP TO PAR for the chain and needs some customer service training and a major remodel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank borgoutpost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Booked this hotel due to location. We were attending a concert at the new Consel Energy Center and this hotel is directly across the street. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. We were able to check-in an hour early, which was nice. The room was clean and had everything you needed but was very dated. It was good enough for 1 or 2 nights. We paid $161 with our AAA discount. They have valet parking but we parked our truck for $20. Keep in mind if you have a truck/SUV over 6 feet tall you will need to find other parking or pay for valet parking. We got lucky and our Ford F150 fit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sueleay
Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This was my 3rd visit to the Pburgh Marriott Center City in the last 2 years - I highly recommend this hotel, esp if you are attending an event at the new Consol Energy Center! It is just steps away from the arena, there is a parking garage (~$20 for 24 hours), microwave in room, mini fridge, great sized rooms, comfy bed.! Another plus - the bar stays open on the weekends anyway until 2 am! It's great to walk back from a concert and be able to 'unwind' by having a drink ! A little pricey, but worth the convenience!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Espoo
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Perfect location and service for people coming to watch Penguins' games. Only minus for the sauna (dry sauna).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night at the end of a family road trip. After 9 days along the east coast we decided to head into Pittsburgh and catch a baseball game. This hotel is in the downtown area, 1 block from the Consol Energy Center (hockey arena) which is new in 2010/2011 season. The room was a nice size, VERY comforatble beds and pillows! Nice chair with ottoman and a desk to sit at while doing some computer work (NO WIFI) ethernet connection! The bathroom is small but very clean and serves its purpose. My wife and kids used the pool, they said it was very nice with a cool view off the 11th floor. We visited the Steelhead restaurant in the lobby for a couple drinks, average cost for a hotel bar for drinks. Parking is $22 valet with in/out priviledges. Our bell hop guy was nice and offered alot of informaiton. As for a previous review about traffic and getting to the hotel the is Pittsburgh! I have been there a half a dozen times and still make a wrong turn every stinkin time I'm there. I have friends that live there and when we drive with them they too make wrong turns. Oveall, hotel is good - very good. Nice for a couple nights stay but if you like to walk out of hotel and venture this may not be place for you as you really need to drive to get to the places that make going to Pitt fun.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 21Roberto
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This hotel has all the refinements you'd expect from a hotel of this class, albiet with some aura of its age.
Rooms: large, comfortable bed and pillows, CRT TV
Fitness: Lifefitness 3 ellipticals, 4 treadmills, 4 bikes, free weigths and one cable machine. Pool.
Warning: Internet is a buck a minute.
Location: City Center is misleading- it is the eastern edge of downtown on the other side of a freeway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Staff was friendly, check in was smooth. When I walked into the room, in general I was not terribly impressed with its appearance although it looked clean. Saw a good size cockroach scurry around the perimeter of the bathroom that night and that was the the nail in the coffin. Notified the staff the next morning and they offered me breakfast. Would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business