“Location and staff made the stay”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Kirkland, Washington
“Location and staff made the stay”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

A Junior Suite in the Marriott City Center for one night before meetings the next day was adequate. Of course, there was the Marriott bedding which is consistent and great, but the general condition of the room, while clean, was a bit tattered. Outside of the bedding, which is consistently good at Marriott, the cabinetry, chairs and tables were all a bit tired and worn with drawers that didn't quite fit, and worn edges. Most disappointing was the small old fashioned television that had fuzz on every channel.

The staff were very accomodating and friendly. Bathroom was clean, but for my money, I prefer the newer Courtyard by Marriott just a few blocks away. The fact that there isn't wireless internet in the room and the plugged in internet didn't work didn't help my rating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mcclungp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Valley Forge
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott City Center as part of attending a sporting event. I was using Marriott points, so the value was unbeatable. This is a full service hotel, they cater to business travelers, and so they try to do a lot of things. The room was perfectly adequate, clean, with a nice view. Bedding was very comfortable and clean. Bathroom was good, though a bit small. On weekends, they cater to a sports crowd and the local ESPN station broadcasts live from the lobby, turning it into a tailgate zone. The hotel bar was also a lot of fun, though the food was "just OK". All in all, this is a better than average hotel, though not top of the line, and I would return without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Frostburg, MD
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The service and staff were excellent. The room was comfortable and the fitness center amazing. We went to Pittsburgh when wind chills were -2 and the staff made sure we had a place to plug in our diesel. The shuttle took us around town so we didn't need a taxi. Breakfast was included with our stay so we saved some serious dough! The food was good too! Free earbuds in the fitness center for the treadmills, ellypticals with TVs built in.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed November 10, 2009

This is near Duquesne University, and that was the reason I went for it. It was useful to be able to walk, through the snow, the five minutes down the road into the campus. But the rooms are not very pleasant, you feel like you are staying in a coach station, even if the staff are quite helpful. I hired a car, which I picked up after a long flight at the airport when I arrived from Europe, and was exhausted, and so when I arrived I was happy to hand over the car keys to the guy at the gate who took the car away and parked it. But like everything at the Marriott, there is no such thing as a free lunch or a free anything. Everything can end up as an 'extra' that you pay extra for. And that gives an extra edge of feeling ripped off by a money making machine. I guess if I was working at Duquesne again then I might stay there, but reluctantly.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank travelzlattern
OHIO
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I was here for a conference at Duquesne University. Hotel is very close to campus and you can walk there. Penguins were playing and the lobby was jammed with beer drinking fans before the games as a radio station did a remote secession. Parking is not a hassle if you valet, but that is $24.00 a day. The hotel is on top of an office building starting with the pool, suana work out room on the 11th floor. Personnel were friendly. Check in and out was a breeze.
Now for the bad part, the room. It was large enough but the furniture was beat up and needs to be updated. No flat screen television. One of the days my room was not even made up. When I contacted the front desk They were apologetic and sent up more towels but that was it. Pillows were terrible. But what skeeved me out the most was that I was bare foot in the room, I know, I know don't go barefoot in a hotel room, when I got in the shower/tub and the tub floor was wet, dirt foot prints developed on the tub. Eeewww. My feet were clean before that being in socks and shoes. The carpeting must be filthy. You can't tell because the carpet is dark blue with some pattern to it. I did not complain about it, I just won't be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WK0119
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This property has great service through and through. Our room was clean and well maintained. There is a restaurant in the hotel lobby and it is close to many businesses as well as Mellon arena. The concierge lounge is surprisingly one of the better ones I have encountered. Both of the employees who were there in the evening and in the morning are fantastic. Many of the other guest commented on it in the elevator. We were impressed with their attention to detail and cleanliness in the lounge. The only drawback is that one of our colleagues left very early for a flight and valet parking doesn't open until 5:30am. I would stay here again but keep that in mind.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The hotel is quite old, an although the staff is friendly it is not the sort of enjoyable hotel I expected. The pool and exercise room is pretty good, but the rooms themselves are sub par.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple