“Just ok, not overly impressed or disappointed.”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We were staying on business and the location was chosen for us. This isn't a great location because on a weekend, there wasn't much to do within a safe walking distance. Now if we were going to an event at the arena across the street - my opinion about the location would change.

The rooms were typical hotel rooms with comfy beds and pillows. I just got the ick impression that it wasn't that clean. Stray hairs in the bathroom, peeling wall paper, stains on the walls (maybe I've been watching too much CSI and I'm noticing stuff more?), and the little details like no coffee for the coffee maker, or the accompanying packets of sugar. A grabbed one off of the maid cart when walking by after picking up a couple of cups at Starbucks in the office building next door (THAT CLOSES AT NOON ON WEEKENDS) and stuck it next to the coffee maker - hoping maid service would notice and replace. Nope. Oh well, I shelled another $4 at Starbucks the next morning, and have to say the coffee was better anyhow.

There are no restaurants nearby, so we had drinks in the bar - very friendly staff, and the next evening ate in the restaurant - which was ok, but really pricey. I guess I'd just like some options closer by.... within walking distance. I can't say that I'd want to stay again, and given the choice wouldn't.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank torav
There are newer reviews for Pittsburgh Marriott City Center

Reviewed December 29, 2008

Stayed for a long weekend in October to see a couple of football games. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the bar downstairs was a good place to gather. It was a 20 minute walk to Heinz field. The rates were reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We were first time visitors to Pittsburgh, and couldn't be more impressed with the city, Hotel, Staff, and citizens. The staff bent over backwards to help with any needs we had, they even spent about 20minutes helping us look up restaurants fetured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives". They were fantastic!! They also helped recommend different restaurants, sites to see, and nearby shopping. I would definately stay there again!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I am a Marriot Silver Elite member and was taken care of immediately. No issues, comfortable room at Club level. As I was staying during weekends, I realized that Club Lounge was not open.

Vale is nice and so are people at front desk. The location is not as great but better than others in terms of accessibility during peak hours and traffic. Overall good for what I paid.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My company brings us to Pittsburgh every year for a fire industry trade show, and this is the second year we have stayed here. Last year as I recall our stay was just fine, but nothing stood out enough for me to write a review. This year was different. From the time I walked through the lobby doors (which the bellman kindly held open for me when I arrived at 11:30PM) until my phone call a few minutes ago down to the front desk to arrange a Towncar to get me to the airport in the morning, every staff member I have encountered has been over the top friendly (a genuine friendly, not just that "I'm being nice to you because I have to" sort of friendly, or as I call it, "Sheraton friendly") and incredibly helpful! I'm not sure if I can mention names here, but Eddie at the front desk went out of his way to help me out on a couple of occasions, and Justin at the bell desk is the man when it comes to arranging transportation. Oh, and if you dine in the hotel restaurant for breakfast, ask for Dani. She took such great care of us, and the rest of my staff and I agreed that even if we could stay at another hotel for free, we'd still pay to stay here just so we could hang out with her for breakfast every morning. It'd be worth it! The evening bartenders are also great, as is the food in the bar (didn't eat in the restaurant, other than for breakfast).

As for the rooms, they are large (bathroom could use a few extra square feet, but the hot water works quite well), and the beds are Marriott comfortable so I slept well. My only complaints would be the location, a little far from the convention center that we walked to each day (but hey, it was good exercise), and there is no hot tub. After a long day on the show floor, a good soak in 114 degree water would have been nice. Other than that, this hotel is great!

I see that this hotel has gotten some bad reviews, some complaining about the staff. Not sure if they have a new manager now or just better staff, but I got to observe the front desk staff for about 20 minutes while waiting in the lobby this evening, and even dealing with a disgruntled guest they were (in my opinion) genuinely understanding and took care of the problem immediately. The staff here gets it, and they're top notch.

One helpful tip...Avoid the "10" rooms if you can (i.e. 1210, 1410, etc.)! They are directly across from the ice machines (which are really loud when the freezer kicks on) and right next to the elevator lobby. If you have the opportunity, ask for something closer to the end of the hallway. You will sleep much better.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We booked this hotel via Priceline. We were in town for a wedding and stayed at the hotel for three nights. Our family is originally from Pittsburgh, but have lived out of state for 18 years. We have family still in Pittsburgh so we do periodically make visits, but have never stayed in-town. As far as location goes, I would call the location up-town versus midtown or downtown. Parking as mentioned in other reviews is expensive, but upon doing some research I found that most of the city hotels charged a similar amount for parking. Though we did use our car on several occassions, we used the T which is Pittsburgh's in-city subway to get over to Station Square/Southside. The hotel is only two blocks from the Steel City Plaza T Station. I don't think the hotel staff must mention this option much considering when I ask what the price was they really didn't know. T prices range from a $1-$2 in general. We also made use of the hotel shuttle to go to the Strip District. We had no problems whatsoever with this service. We were on the 14th floor. We had a nice view of Mellon Arena. Room seemed clean. Beds were comfortable. This is not a luxury hotel but I would consider it average to above average. Depending on the price you get, it can be a really good deal. I wouldn't pay the list price, but I wouldn't pay that much for a hotel room period! Staff was accomodating to our needs...no problems. One evening there was a lot of rowdiness in the hallway (late). I was just getting ready to call the front desk when things settled down. My only other complaint is lack of options for breakfast. The hotel restaurant doesn't open until lunch. The only other option is Starbucks if that is what you consider breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I recently stayed at the Marriott while attending a wedding in the Pittsburgh area. I booked the hotel using Priceline. It was a busy weekend, with other events happening in the city, so I could not get a room for less than $100/night.

The hotel itself was worth the price. The room was large, clean, and had a nice view. The hotel was in good condition.

I have two complaints about this hotel.

First, is the location. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I was not coming to town for an event at the Mellon Arena (which is right across the street). The hotel is somewhat isolated and there is almost nothing of interest within walking distance. I had to drive if I wanted to go to any of the sights. If I were coming to Pittsburgh as a visitor, I would stay closer to the cultural district or heart of downtown, like the Courtyard Marriott or the Westin.

Second, related to the above, is the parking. It costs like $16 a day and $23 if you use the valet. In retrospect if I had to pay so much for parking and drive everywhere I would have stayed somewhere with free parking.

The staff/service at the hotel was fine. Nothing exceptional.

Again, the hotel itself is good. But given the purpose of my trip and what I was looking to do, the location was not ideal.

• Stayed: July 2008