“No Complaints...”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We booked this hotel via Priceline. We were in town for a wedding and stayed at the hotel for three nights. Our family is originally from Pittsburgh, but have lived out of state for 18 years. We have family still in Pittsburgh so we do periodically make visits, but have never stayed in-town. As far as location goes, I would call the location up-town versus midtown or downtown. Parking as mentioned in other reviews is expensive, but upon doing some research I found that most of the city hotels charged a similar amount for parking. Though we did use our car on several occassions, we used the T which is Pittsburgh's in-city subway to get over to Station Square/Southside. The hotel is only two blocks from the Steel City Plaza T Station. I don't think the hotel staff must mention this option much considering when I ask what the price was they really didn't know. T prices range from a $1-$2 in general. We also made use of the hotel shuttle to go to the Strip District. We had no problems whatsoever with this service. We were on the 14th floor. We had a nice view of Mellon Arena. Room seemed clean. Beds were comfortable. This is not a luxury hotel but I would consider it average to above average. Depending on the price you get, it can be a really good deal. I wouldn't pay the list price, but I wouldn't pay that much for a hotel room period! Staff was accomodating to our needs...no problems. One evening there was a lot of rowdiness in the hallway (late). I was just getting ready to call the front desk when things settled down. My only other complaint is lack of options for breakfast. The hotel restaurant doesn't open until lunch. The only other option is Starbucks if that is what you consider breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2008

I recently stayed at the Marriott while attending a wedding in the Pittsburgh area. I booked the hotel using Priceline. It was a busy weekend, with other events happening in the city, so I could not get a room for less than $100/night.

The hotel itself was worth the price. The room was large, clean, and had a nice view. The hotel was in good condition.

I have two complaints about this hotel.

First, is the location. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I was not coming to town for an event at the Mellon Arena (which is right across the street). The hotel is somewhat isolated and there is almost nothing of interest within walking distance. I had to drive if I wanted to go to any of the sights. If I were coming to Pittsburgh as a visitor, I would stay closer to the cultural district or heart of downtown, like the Courtyard Marriott or the Westin.

Second, related to the above, is the parking. It costs like $16 a day and $23 if you use the valet. In retrospect if I had to pay so much for parking and drive everywhere I would have stayed somewhere with free parking.

The staff/service at the hotel was fine. Nothing exceptional.

Again, the hotel itself is good. But given the purpose of my trip and what I was looking to do, the location was not ideal.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank curiousjayu
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Thank goodness I had a friends and family rate, or I would've been upset staying here. The hotel itself was clean and lobby staff friendly. However, the location stunk, and the shuttle service was a joke. I was thankful they had it, saved us a few bucks, but it was very unorganized and they did everything in their power to deter you from using it (becasue they had one tiny shuttle and a hotel full of people who needed to go places). The parking is expensive, however, parking is very tough over there, so chalk it up as part of the expense. We were awakened every morning by the major construction across the street, which wasn't the hotels fault, but it just added to the negative. The lounge downstairs came in handy and stayed open fairly late, and best part, the food was pretty good.

I would say if you're paying top dollar, find something else nearby. If you can a get a good rate here, take it. It was worth what we paid, but a penny more, would've made it not so worth it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayKwanza
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Run away from this hotel and hire another venue.
In my experience, I have NEVER encountered a hotel staff that was so hostile, unfriendly and unhelpful with a vendor for an event they host.
This hotel is unprepared to host your event (wedding, private party, cocktail).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Customer100
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was Pittsburgh for a week on business and stayed here due to its convenience to my downtown work location. The hotel is directly across the street from the Penguins' Mellon Arena, and while the Stanley Cup finals were going on while I was there, it did not detrimentally impact my stay.

I gave an overall rating of 4 out of 5 due to the friendliness of the hotel staff and its convenience to downtown locations. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms and the bar had a decent menu and also met my expectations. There is a computer terminal at the check-in desk that allows you to check in early and print out your boarding pass should you wish.

My only real ding on this property was the fitness room situation. They are in the process of renovating the normal workout room and have moved all of the equipment to one of the meeting rooms while this is going on. That in itself is not ideal, but there are also no TV's, music, or anything else along those lines in the room, so if you need that type of thing, take your iPod or you will have nothing. The equipment itself is substandard (old/outdated) compared to what I am used to at a Marriott or Hilton caliber hotel in a major city, as well as the fact they simply do not have enough of it to begin with. Hopefully, they are planning to provide new and/or additional equipment as part of the renovation. I remedied this situation by contacting a rep at the Downtown Athletic Club across the street, paying a discounted rate for a pass for the week.

If the fitness facilities at your hotel are not important to you, then I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. But as is the case for a lot of business travelers, that type of thing can be important, so be aware.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Stayed here when in town for some baseball at PNC park.....overall the hotel is very nice....staff is very friendly and helpful.....room was comfortable and for the most part clean...top of the toilet had some sticky stuff on it with hair ...should not have been missed by cleaning staff....not impressed..............the location is great.....if you stay in downtown Pittsburgh , you can walk to see hockey, football and baseball....a definate plus for the city............paid $122.00 w/tax ...pricline......3 star hotel....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank WisconsinWizard
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Got this hotel on a Sat night in early April for 60 a night plus tax. They get 17 bucks a day to park. For the discount, this was a great rate. The hotel with within walking distance of PNC Park, bout a mile or so. The pool is small but we had it to ourselves, it is heated but still somewhat chilly. They have saunas but they are in each locker room. No hot tub. The views can be good. It is right next door to Mellon Arena so the location would be great for that too. Compared to other downtown Marriott's i have stayed in, this is below average, but considering the location and the deal that i got, it was well worth the money.

G Man