“2 thumbs up!”

Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Bowie, Maryland
“2 thumbs up!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms - good shape but not top of the line - wonderful service ( room service, staff), just a walk away from the Convention Center and even a Starbucks on site. Shuttle available within 5 mile radius. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thanks for writing about your time as our guest here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so happy to hear that your time was enjoyable and that we will see you again the next time you are in Pittsburgh. I hope your day is great!

Marriott Pittsburgh City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
chicago, illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott City Center the week-end of September 14-15, 2013. I booked a reservation through Priceline and got a great rate, but the bargain price didn't affect the accommodations. I was given a room on the top floor that had a queen bed and nice little amenities. It was very clean on arrival and the staff kept it that way. The bathroom was small but ample, and the shower worked fine, even at the 21st floor. The reception staff downstairs was always courteous and provided lots of helpful advice as well.

I would like to say that my stay was perfect, but there unfortunately were a few issues that marred my experience. One is that the hotel is located at an angle at the top of a hill, fronted by criss-crossing main streets which are difficult if not impossible to walk because they are built mainly for auto traffic. Heading toward the downtown in particular is a bit of a challenge. There is a pedestrian bridge over one of the larger thoroughfares which then leads to one of the more walkable streets, but once across it is difficult to get oriented. In fact, trying to figure out how to maneuver setting off from the hotel in any direction is not easy. The map given out at the main desk (which, incidentally, is the same one every other hotel apparently provides) is not much help either. It doesn't label all of the streets, and you have to be Magellan to determine how it matches what actually exists. Pittsburgh can be confusing because of the hills and bending streets, but I did notice that the location of other major hotels in the downtown area was not as confusing as the Marriott's.
The other inconvenience I encountered was that the hotel's restaurant had very limited hours. It was not open for lunch when I arrived at 2 on Saturday afternoon, and it was closed Sunday evening. The staff quickly informed me I could order the same menu in the bar lounge. Well, unfortunately their lounge is small. It's also dimly-lit and people happen to drink and get loud there- hey, it's a bar! So, on Saturday I just got a sandwich to take to my room. On Sunday, I found the closest good restaurant I could- which, as it turned out, was at another hotel.

Overall, I had a mostly comfortable week-end at the Marriott, especially for the rate I obtained. The seemingly minor flaws were enough, however, to make me think that I will try a different 3 1/2 star downtown hotel on my next trip to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty maneuvering through the city. I will be looking at the information we give to our guests to see how we can change this to make their time in the city more enjoyable.
I hope that if you are back in Pittsburgh you will give is another chance to make your time with us perfect. Have a great day!!

Vieques
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Although this is a typically adequate Marriott property for business travel, the disappointment came in the form of isolation. Spending a weekend here was like visiting a ghost town. Everything in the surrounding neighborhood was closed -- even, on Sunday evenings -- the hotel's one restaurant. Front desk socked it to us on rooms rates because the Steelers opening game was held on Sunday and the hotel was packed with fans sporting team shirts. (Steeler lost.)The bathroom is so small it's difficult to navigate without opening or shutting the door. Ice machines and vending machines are open to the hallways and disturbingly loud. On the other hand, staff is friendly, hotel van takes you or picks you up just about anywhere you need it, wifi is fast and free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter Y
Thank you for taking time to comment about your time as our guest here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am very sorry to hear that your time here in Pittsburgh was disappointing but I am glad that our staff made a positive impact on your stay. I am also happy hear that you were able to utilize the hotel shuttle to get around the city.
I hope that you return to our city and when you do you will stay with us again. Have a great day and a wonderful fall season!

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had a great evening at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. Everything was first rate. Room was HUGE...we had a corner...and everything was nicely up to date. Right across the street from the Consol Center, so we would definitely stay here again for any events there. Very enjoyable time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time as our guest here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We look forward to seeing you again when you have an event to attend, or anytime really, at the Energy Center! Have a wonderful day!

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very nice guy out front helped us so much check in and get our bags to the room, then gave us good directions for walking to the Pirates stadium. Nice restaurant/bar for late night drinks, and for breakfast in the morning. Starbucks is close by for those who need that particular coffee (or just want coffee and not a real breakfast). The breakfast buffet was very good; omelettes made to order, too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to comment on your trip to Pittsburgh. I am happy to hear that while staying as our guest here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center you were able to enjoy the hotel bar, restaurant, and Starbucks! We hope to see you again soon! Have a great day.

Edgewood
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our time at the City Center Marriott, Pittsburgh was wonderful - a special touch to our celebration. From the complimentary upgrade to the champagne and strawberries in our room plus the staff, Manny, BJ, Lisa, Diane and Jodine our visit was memorable. Thanks!

Room Tip: If you want the extra benefit of a great breakfast and lite dinner chose the concierge level. The st...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I am so happy to hear that we here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center were able to be a part of such a special time for you. Thank you for choosing our hotel when staying in the Pittsburgh area. I really appreciate the time that you have taken to write about our hotel and I am so happy to hear that we were able to make your stay as our guest special. We hope to see you again very soon. Have a wonderful day!

Southold, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed for a few days while hanging with my wife in Pittsburgh. The hotel is situated next to Duquesne University and Console Stadium (Penguins Hockey). Shuttle service available to many hotspots. On site restaurant and bar. Excellent staff and beautiful rooms. Our room was not ready so we got an upgrade to Concierge floor. Nice touch! This was not my first time there and we will return.

Room Tip: Check rates for room + breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy to hear that you have become a returning guest of ours here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. It is great to hear that our hotel is your choice when coming to the Pittsburgh area. The information that you have given to our future guests is very much appreciated. We hope to see you soon! Have a great day!