“Nice hotel, friendly staff”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while traveling on business to a convention being held at the location. When I arrived there were staff ready to greet me, take my car and luggage, and direct me to the check-in desk. Check-in was quick and the staff were friendly and helpful. The porter was very knowledgeable about the area and offered advice on what to do/see/eat. The restaurant on site was very expensive and not very good, however the property is in a nice location with outside restaurants nearby. All-in-all a nice stay at a typical business type hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for staying as our guest here at the Marriott City Center while in Pittsburgh and thank you for commenting on your time with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable but I am sorry to hear that you did not like the restaurant. I will be passing this information to the managers so they can use it to improve for the future. Hope to see you again soon! Have a great day!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have never reviewed on trip advisor before, but felt the need after the extraordinary service I have experience the last 2 days. Me and my wife decided to stop in Pittsburgh on our way to Washington DC to break up the long drive from Chicago due to our 3 month old daughter. Let me say that the service in this hotel is top notch. We encountered the bell captain Brad who was very knowledgeable regrading the area and told up exactly what we needed to do in order to navigate the city. On one occasion I asked the front desk manager where I could find some dish soap to wash out my daughters bottles and Brad quickly stepped in and offered to run across the street to get some on my behalf. I cannot say enough about Brad and the Staff here at the Marriott. Take it from me, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thanks for writing your first review on Trip advisor about our hotel, the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so happy to hear that your experience here prompted you to share your thoughts with future travelers. I am also happy that our staff, especially Brad, was kind and helpful to you and your family. We cannot wait to see you again soon! Have a great spring/summer!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nice, clean, great service, great location.
If I had to say something negative it would be small (but beautiful) bathroom and no continental breakfast.
We used the gym and pool and they were clean and well equipped.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing about your time as our guest here at the City Center. I am glad that you enjoyed your time here and that you were able to enjoy our gym and pool! We hope to see you again soon! Have a nice day!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I happened to stay here the weekend of May 3rd-5th and this hotel is in a great location for everything downtown. Even if you have to go over to PNC Park or Heinz Field there's a free subway service that is a 2 mins walk from the hotel that will take you there.

Unfortunately the drawbacks to the hotel are average beds and paper thin walls/doors. Combine that with the poor air quality I can't give this place a better than average rating.

Staff was friendly including the beer girls outside our hotel during the Pens playoff game!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank steven t
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay was here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am happy to hear that our location was great for you but I am sorry to hear that you did not necessarily like our rooms. We will be looking into the issues to see what we can do to improve for the future. I hope that despite these issues we will see you again in the future! Thank you for the information you provided and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our family of about 17 people stayed there for Graduation and the staff was excellent!! After graduation we missed our reservations at another restaurant and the Marriott set us up in a private room, served us a wonderful meal and catered to the kids. We tip our hats off to Danielle S. our waitress. I am not sure we have ever had a waitress so helpful, attentive and accommodating as her and the rest of the staff that took care of us in such a pinch, the food was wonderful, we all slept great, and the rooms were beautiful and clean. We were in walking distance of Duquesne University which is where graduation was and it was complete with a parking garage so we did not need to worry about our vehicles. Everyone in our group agreed all of the conveniences were worth the money and we would book there again!!

Room Tip: If booking for a group ask them if the rooms can be together or on the same floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for writing about your stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time while you were our guest. I am also happy to hear that it was our staff that made your stay great! I will be passing this information on to Danielle and her managers so they are aware of the great service she provided. We hope to see you again very soon. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our stay started rough when we didn't see the Marriott sign when we turned the corner, but we eventually found it. The entry and foyer were clean and well maintained. Don't fault the hotel for the poor performance of the valets--they are contracted by the owners of the building. We were greeted by a professional and gracious man who discounted our parking because of the poor valet service. The room was clean; there were plenty of lights and outlets. Our room on the 17th floor overlooked a green area among all the highrises. I took away one star because the beds and pillows were not as comfortable as we like them. The great advantage of staying here: walking to our concert at Consol Energy Center by just crossing the street. The downstairs was very high energy because people came in for drinks or dinner before the concert. The staff--both at the front desk and who cleaned our room--were kind and thoughtful. Kudos for Marriott for finally making the wi-fi free.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1724 and it was on the quieter side, but they do not go by odd and even sides at t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for commenting on your time as our guest here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I appreciate the time you took to educate our future guests on our hotel.
I wanted to take a moment to apologize for the issues that you had not only with finding the hotel but especially with the valet associates. Although they are not employed by the Marriott, they still represent us and we will be discussing these events with their management staff.
I am happy to hear that despite these issues you were able to enjoy your time as our guest. I hope that we will see you again soon! Have a great day!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Nothing standout about this Marriott, but no large faults, either. I was met by the manager who escorted me to the elevator as he told me about the facility. Perfectly serviceable Marriott not far from the train station. It is across from the arena so on game nights the place will be crowded with folks who come for the nosh and a parking spot. The concierge lounge gets crowded and does run out of food at least on those game nights. Temperature control in the room works well enough, a significant issue in those large hotels. Can't for the restaurant downstairs.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quiet visit, you might want to avoid game nights. If you're there fo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for taking time from your day to comment on your stay here at the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center. I am sorry to hear that your time with us was nothing more than a typical stay; we want all of our guests to feel as if we are their home away from home. I hope we will have you as our guest the next time you are in Pittsburgh! Have a great day!