Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Omni William Penn Hotel(Pittsburgh)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssteelheadthe concierge loungeacross the streetduquesne universitypenguins gameplatinum memberhockey arenaparking garagefront desk stafftwo double bedshotel roombusiness tripfitness centerself parkmini fridgerooms are largepnc park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Room was okay but, from its location, I was unable to lock onto their WiFi signal. Since access is critical to me, I used my own hotspot. For the price I was charged for a night, this was unacceptable. Restaurant/lounge was fine but crowded. Many people seemed to be there in advance of a Penguins hockey game scheduled for the next evening. If you don't like sports or crowds, either work around the local sports schedules or stay in another part of the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Margo G
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for commenting on you time as our guest here at the City Center., feedback is very important to us as it helps us to improve for the future.
I am sorry that while you were here you were not able to utilize our free WIFI, I will have our engineering department look into this to see what the issue is.
Again, I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you faced. I hope that the next time you are in the city you will give us another chance. Have a great day!

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel must usually be at low capacity, and the busy weekend we stayed seemed to be beyond their ability to handle. The lobby was swarming with people, most of whom seemed to be waiting.

Waiting for the shuttle, waiting at the front desk, waiting for a table. Waiting.

The shuttle driver was totally swamped, and he was doing his best to keep up, but he was only one guy with one van.

The bar was covered up as well.

The next morning, there was a 15 minute wait at breakfast, not because they didn't have tables, but according to the hostess, "The chefs were backed up".

The overall location and rooms were what you would expect of a downtown Marriott, no complaints there.

The facility just needs to be better able to handle the swings in volume. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, I think there were just too few of them.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank zvezdan

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here with us at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I wanted to take this time to write and apologize for the issues that you had with waiting at the hotel. Our staff is very use to being busy and I am very sorry that we gave you the impression that we cannot handle these times. I will be looking into the issues so that we can improve for the future.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have you as our guest again in the future to show our true customer service abilities. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We've stayed at this property several times in the past and haven't been impressed.

We're very happy to report that we were very pleased with the improvements that have been made to this property during our stay on Feb. 10, 2013. The front desk staff seemed friendlier than they have been in the past.

We ordered room service - the food was delivered in a timely manner and was excellent.The gentleman working in the concierge lounge on Monday morning was friendly and attentive.

The location is great for those going to concerts and Pens games at the Consol Center. The property also has a shuttle service for guests.

All around this was a great stay. We're looking forward to our next stay at this property.

Kudos.

Room Tip: Over the years I can honestly say we haven't had a bad room or experience at this property. Great location.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hinano902
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for commenting on your stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. We are very happy to hear that you are happy with the changes that we have made over the last year and a half! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Thank You!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Originally checked in and was guaranteed a great room, since I was a platinum member. However, I was granted a room right by the elevator that left a lot to be desired. The hotel room was oddly shaped and the bathroom was a little small. I mentioned it when I went to the front desk and was immediately accommodated with a larger room on the concierge level. This room was much nicer. The bathroom was still small, but room seemed slightly updated and nicer. Overall it was a decent stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay here at the City Center. Feed back is very important to us and we appreciate your time. I am sorry that the first room you were checked into was not satisfactory but I am glad we were able to get you into something that accommodated you better.
I hope that we see you again soon! Have a nice day!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

You pretty much know exactly what you are going to get when you stay at any Marriott hotel: a big bill that usually exceeds the value product.

Let me just say I couldn't have been much happier about the room. We had a comfortable king sized bed. There was a walk in closet, desk, a mini-fridge and a chair, and the staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful. Unfortunately that is pretty much where the positives come to an end.

For starters, the thermostat did not work half the time on one side of the room. Fortunately it was on the side opposite of the bed, because it was about zero degrees out at night and the heater was just blowing out cool air even when I bumped the thermostat up to 80 degrees!!

The website says Marriott charges a fee for wireless internet. I cannot tell you how many low budget hotels we passed on the drive to Pittsburgh which openly advertise FREE WiFi. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago it made sense to charge for wireless internet, but in this day and age it should be included in the room!! Now in fairness, I did try to connect my iPad to the wireless internet and it never prompted me to have a password or anything. Of course, my iPad would connect to the server but would not be able to actually do anything online.

The Marriott offers a wide variety of foods for breakfast. The only problem? You'll have to pay something like $9-11 to enjoy them!! Seriously, have they ever heard of a continental breakfast? Almost every other hotel I have stayed at would at least provide coffee, juice, bagels and other breakfast foods each morning. I mean, as much as they charge for a room you would think that could be included!!!

This was our first time visiting Pittsburgh and we thought staying downtown would be ideal. I mean, wouldn't that be where all the good restaurants and nightlife is? Uh uh, not in the Steel City!! I don't think there was a restaurant open within walking distance of the hotel, which is seriously next to the Consol Energy Center if that matters to you We had to take the T (trolley/subway which the nearest station is about 2 blocks away) to the Market Square area. Along the way we found CVS stores that closed at 7:00pm on a Friday night and many other bars and restaurants were also calling it a night by 9:00!!

It was way too cold to be walking around Pittsburgh, so after one failed attempt to venture into downtown we decided it would be best to drive. They charge $22 a day to park with in and out privileges. I say "they" because the Marriott does not actually own the parking garage. Still, $22 is nothing to sneeze at especially given how much they charge for a room. And there is seriously NO free parking in the entire downtown area. I had to park illegally a few times just to run into Dunkin Donuts or something to pick up breakfast!!

If I want to nitpick some more, there was no phone book in the room to look up places to eat or visit. Also, the television was rather small for the hotel room. Ok, I get that people don't travel to stay in their hotel rooms to watch television, but I have a bigger screen in my office at home than they have in their hotel rooms. The remote control would work sporadically. It just depends on what angle your held it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josh A

Thank you for commenting on your stay here at the Marriott City Center. I appreciate the time you took to comment on our hotel and Pittsburgh. I want to take this time to apologize that your stay was not enjoyable. I have passed the information, that you provided, on to the appropriate managers so that they are addressed.
I also want to apologize that you were not told that our property offers free WIFI, this should have been told to you at check in. I will be speaking with our front desk staff so they are aware of this situation.
I hope that the next time you are in Pittsburgh you will stay as our guest so we can show you a better experience. Have a great day!

Marriott Pittsbugh City Center