“Left a little to be desired, but a decent stay!”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Atlanta
“Left a little to be desired, but a decent stay!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Originally checked in and was guaranteed a great room, since I was a platinum member. However, I was granted a room right by the elevator that left a lot to be desired. The hotel room was oddly shaped and the bathroom was a little small. I mentioned it when I went to the front desk and was immediately accommodated with a larger room on the concierge level. This room was much nicer. The bathroom was still small, but room seemed slightly updated and nicer. Overall it was a decent stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay here at the City Center. Feed back is very important to us and we appreciate your time. I am sorry that the first room you were checked into was not satisfactory but I am glad we were able to get you into something that accommodated you better.
I hope that we see you again soon! Have a nice day!

Marriott Pittsburgh City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

You pretty much know exactly what you are going to get when you stay at any Marriott hotel: a big bill that usually exceeds the value product.

Let me just say I couldn't have been much happier about the room. We had a comfortable king sized bed. There was a walk in closet, desk, a mini-fridge and a chair, and the staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful. Unfortunately that is pretty much where the positives come to an end.

For starters, the thermostat did not work half the time on one side of the room. Fortunately it was on the side opposite of the bed, because it was about zero degrees out at night and the heater was just blowing out cool air even when I bumped the thermostat up to 80 degrees!!

The website says Marriott charges a fee for wireless internet. I cannot tell you how many low budget hotels we passed on the drive to Pittsburgh which openly advertise FREE WiFi. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago it made sense to charge for wireless internet, but in this day and age it should be included in the room!! Now in fairness, I did try to connect my iPad to the wireless internet and it never prompted me to have a password or anything. Of course, my iPad would connect to the server but would not be able to actually do anything online.

The Marriott offers a wide variety of foods for breakfast. The only problem? You'll have to pay something like $9-11 to enjoy them!! Seriously, have they ever heard of a continental breakfast? Almost every other hotel I have stayed at would at least provide coffee, juice, bagels and other breakfast foods each morning. I mean, as much as they charge for a room you would think that could be included!!!

This was our first time visiting Pittsburgh and we thought staying downtown would be ideal. I mean, wouldn't that be where all the good restaurants and nightlife is? Uh uh, not in the Steel City!! I don't think there was a restaurant open within walking distance of the hotel, which is seriously next to the Consol Energy Center if that matters to you We had to take the T (trolley/subway which the nearest station is about 2 blocks away) to the Market Square area. Along the way we found CVS stores that closed at 7:00pm on a Friday night and many other bars and restaurants were also calling it a night by 9:00!!

It was way too cold to be walking around Pittsburgh, so after one failed attempt to venture into downtown we decided it would be best to drive. They charge $22 a day to park with in and out privileges. I say "they" because the Marriott does not actually own the parking garage. Still, $22 is nothing to sneeze at especially given how much they charge for a room. And there is seriously NO free parking in the entire downtown area. I had to park illegally a few times just to run into Dunkin Donuts or something to pick up breakfast!!

If I want to nitpick some more, there was no phone book in the room to look up places to eat or visit. Also, the television was rather small for the hotel room. Ok, I get that people don't travel to stay in their hotel rooms to watch television, but I have a bigger screen in my office at home than they have in their hotel rooms. The remote control would work sporadically. It just depends on what angle your held it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josh A
Thank you for commenting on your stay here at the Marriott City Center. I appreciate the time you took to comment on our hotel and Pittsburgh. I want to take this time to apologize that your stay was not enjoyable. I have passed the information, that you provided, on to the appropriate managers so that they are addressed.
I also want to apologize that you were not told that our property offers free WIFI, this should have been told to you at check in. I will be speaking with our front desk staff so they are aware of this situation.
I hope that the next time you are in Pittsburgh you will stay as our guest so we can show you a better experience. Have a great day!

Marriott Pittsbugh City Center
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

About what you'd expect--nice room and location, restaurants in the lobby, and good service. I was disappointed when they would not extend my parking for an extra 3 hours after checkout, but their explanation that the garage was privately owned made a little sense. I didn't eat in the bar/restaurant and I didn't use any of the other facilities. The maid was friendly and didn't mess up my pile of stuff in my room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the comments on your stay here at the City Center. I appreciate the information given to our future guests. I want to apologize for the issue with the garage, we will be passing these comments on to their management staff. They are owned and operated separate from our hotel but we work closely with them to work out any issues our guests may have.
I hope that the next time you are Pittsburgh we will see you as our guest. Have a wonderful day!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stay here every other week and th staff is friendly in all areas of the hotel. The rooms have been updated and there's a full service Starbucks downstairs!

The fitness center is a decent size and the TVs on the treadmills and such are large screens and open 24/7.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BigBlueOcean7
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stays here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so glad that you enjoy your time so much that you have returned as our guests week after week. I look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future. See you soon!! Have a wonderful day!

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We held a meeting yesterday at the Marriott and everything worked well. Our meetings are somewhat complicated, as we required multiple meeting rooms with different setups and two groups of attendees that had different food and beverage requirements. Here are the reasons why it was a great venue for our meetings.

- Meeting space size was more than enough for us. Clean and spacious
- All working outlets (seems simple enough but you'd be surprised how many hotels I have had issues with this)
- Functional and soundproofed airwalls.
- Banquet food was excellent
- Banquet and sales staff, especially Olivia, Betsy, and William were all there when we needed them
- Good value overall for what we received
- AV tech was competent and helpful
- Engineering was available quickly for a request I had while setting up our equipment
- Good hotel location, and secure; security came around a few times while I was setting up our a/v later in the evening. Since we have expensive electronic equipment, seeing a security presence alleviated any concerns I may have otherwise had.

Overall, would I choose the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on a high floor. It's quiet.
1 Thank dr_russsell
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay and event at the Marriott City Center. I am very happy to hear that your stay and meeting went well and that when in Pittsburgh again you feel that you will return to be our guest.
We really appreciate the detailed information that you provided our future guests and hope it can be used for their decision making when coming to Pittsburgh.
Again, thank you very much for taking your time and giving such a detailed report on your time with us. Have a great day!

Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over New Years and overall I'd say the experience was ok. Check in was slow and not very helpful. The doorman was on a break and the check in person would not let us take a luggage rack as it was against the hotel policy to let guests take the racks on their own. After a discussion, she agreed to let us take it but it really started our visit off on a negitive footing.

The location of the hotel is not great. There is very little around the hotel. It does have a restaurant however it was closed when we were there so I cannot comment on it. We found we had to drive or take cabs when heading out. We prefer to be in locations where we can walk out to restaurants in the evening - this is not the case with this hotel.

We booked a King suite and it was fine. Nothing special. Bigger room but that was about it. Bathroom was small and had limited counter space. Bed was comfortable. Unfortunately there was a basketball team staying on our floor and they were pretty loud particularly in the evenings. While the hotel cannot help this, I'd say that the walls are really thin as you could hear everything. We were woken up both nights of our stay when the team came home at 3am.

The bright spot for the hotel - the gym. It was really good. 4-5 treadmills, bikes and cross trainers. Good weight selection and a multi-purpose weight machine was pretty much allowed you to work all body parts. There was a pool attached to the gym however we did not use it. It was big and looked to be quite good.

There is a starbucks in the building which is a nice plus in the morning for coffee. However overall our experience was average and I would not recommend or stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diane B
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I wanted to take this time to apologize that your stay with us was just ok. I can assure you that customer service is our number one priority and I am sorry that we did not convey this to you while staying as our guest.
I will be taking your feedback and using it to improve for our future. Again, thank you for your time and we hope that when in Pittsburgh again you will give us anther chance to show you a perfect stay.

Raleigh
Reviewed December 18, 2012

from the check in to check out it was a wonderful experience. the room was excellent the lobby was beatiful and the restuarant was great. the public bathrooms were clean and the staff was nice at all times. did not use pool or fitness rooms.

Room Tip: the higher the room the better the views. pool and fitness rooms on the 11th floor so may be a littl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank crystal2mysoul
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I am so happy that our hotel and staff provided you with a clean and comfortable stay while in Pittsburgh. We appreciate the feed back! We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future. Have a wonderful holiday season and a great day!