“Friendly, clean, and great service”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Minnesota
“Friendly, clean, and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

We arrived at the hotel an hour earlier than check-in, and having just come from a terrible hotel stay in another city I expected this to continue. However the cutest, smiliest, friendliest man at the front desk let us check in early. I had to tell him how cute he was, because it was a pleasant turn of events. It's nice to feel wanted.
It was your average 3 star hotel room being clean and comfy. The 2 Marriotts we stayed in provided the Bath and Body Works line which was a nice surprise! We liked it so much I bought some in Ohio on our way back to MN.
We ordered room service and had it delivered promptly and with a smile. I've never had a salad that delicious! It's nice to be able to appreciate the simple things.
The whole city was friendly. The people going to the Penguins game, the guys in the parking ramp, the workers at the hotel and around the city....everyone!
We will definitely visit Pittsburgh again. And we will definitely stay at a Marriott.

• Liked — The friendly, friendly people
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JKWMinnesota

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

Won this hotel on priceline ($50 a night) after unsucessfully bidding on a 4 star hotel.

As many other reviews have noted, the hotel's walls are pretty thin. Could hear the people in the next room over and doors slamming at all hours of the night.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank YuppieonaShoeString
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed there for a night March 5, 08 and March 15, 08. Excellent location if going to the Mellon Arena for a show!!! It's across the street from the Hotel, well lit, tons of people to walk back with. Hotel room was above average, clean, beds were comfortable. Great bar, food pretty good.

Only thing missing is a mini-fridge...Other 'small' issue, after a concert there is a fairly long wait for the elevators - if you can walk a couple floors, do it! I was on the 18th floor tho,and that wasn't an option.

Great views of the city and rivers! Will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Elevator wait after a concert and lack of Mini-fridge in room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoviFan
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2008

We recently stayed at this property for a 2nd time for a Penguins game. You absolutely cannot beat the location with the Mellon Arena being directly across the street.

Parking is expensive at $16.50 for the garage which is not part of the Marriott (cash only and no in/out privledges), or $23.00 for valet.

The rooms are average. The bathroom has the sink and mirror in with the shower so getting ready is a challenge as there is no bathroom fan.

Heating/cooling is a mystery. You do control it in the room but I couldn't tell whether it was heating or cooling. The windows do open a little which is nice for some fresh air.

Our TV was horrible. The picture was fuzzy and the volume went from non-existant to blasting. Had it not been for just one night I would have asked to move.

The beds are very fluffy but the pillows are oddly small and flat. They do have huge square pillows on the bed for sitting up.

The room was very clean.

All in all I was just underwhelmed. I wouldn't pay the full rack rate to stay here and have been lucky enough to get a reduced rate for each stay.

Given the choice, I would most likely choose the Omni over the Marriott just for the simple fact that the room layout is much more user friendly.

• Liked — Location,Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Bathroom ,TV
3 Thank Travelguru02
Buffalo , New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

Really enjoyed our stay , the staff was awesome , the room very large , soft king bed , Starbucks right in the building , nice bar/restaurant , right across the street from the "Mellon Arena" where we were going for a concert , you WALK right there & can even (on a nice day) walk to the infamous area known as "The Strip" , had an excellent time with my wife , will stay there again if in Pittsburgh...............Plus area is safe , plenty of people around all the time.............

• Liked — Location to the Mellon Arena
  • Disliked — N/A
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stayed in room 1008 at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center March 7-9, 2008 while in town to visit the Andy Warhol Museum & see the Ron Mueck exhibit. We paid $70 a night through Priceline. I’ve read several reviews from people complaining about the hotel’s location but I disagree, they don’t call it “city center” for nothing. I found the hotel to be centrally located in a great area right next to the Mellon Arena (it is right across the street within walking distance if that is the purpose of your trip). To the north of the hotel, across the bridges are some great museums (Andy Warhol Museum, Mattress Factory) & other sites; to the south of the hotel is the South Side (a great shopping area with unique shops & restaurants); to the east of the hotel is The Strip (entertainment area), Shady Side (shopping & restaurants) & more. We rented a car & were able to easily get around town, hitting all of the tourist spots & hip locations - all seemed to be within a 5 to 10 minute drive from the hotel. Parking in the hotel garage is $16.50 for 24 hours which is pretty average at most hotels within a city; the garage is not owned by Marriott so you cannot add it to your room bill. (they accept cash or checks only – no credit cards). I believe the hotel does offer valet parking but we went with self parking.

It was very easy to get into the hotel from the parking garage. When the elevator doors to the main lobby opened, a lovely smell filled the air; I later inquired about it & was told by the front desk that it was an air freshener that puts out a lemongrass fragrance. The front desk staff was very professional & check-in was prompt. There is complimentary sweet tea & pink lemonade available to guests in the lobby. There is also a Starbucks connected to the hotel which is convenient. A little tip for anyone needing to use an ATM – if you go outside of Starbucks there is a Citizens Bank ATM located across the way, their fees are about $1.25 less then the ATM inside the hotel.

Our room was located on the 10th floor; it was clean, nicely decorated & very spacious! The large window provided a good view of the city & Mellon Arena. The room had a very comfortable king sized bed with a down comforter & plenty of quality pillows, an armoire with a TV, a work desk with free internet connection cables, several local magazines & guides, & a mini coffee pot with complimentary coffee & teas. There was also a big chair with an ottoman & a loveseat in the sitting area.

The bathroom was a decent size; it was clean with modern décor, a nice granite sink, plenty of extra towels, a hairdryer, & best of all, a timed heat lamp. Complimentary bath products included: Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Orange Ginger Energizing toiletries – lotion, volumizing shampoo & conditioner; a shoe mitt, and 2 bars of Citrus Aloe soap. Across from the bathroom was a large mirrored closet which contained hangers, an iron & an ironing board.

The Marriott Pittsburgh City Center is a nice hotel in a good location; I would definitely stay there again & recommend it to others. While in Pittsburgh I would recommend visiting the Andy Warhol Museum (117 Sandusky St.) & also the unique, hip shops on Carson Ave (located in the South Side Area). There is plenty to do in Pittsburgh, especially if you enjoy art & museums. If you are an Andy Warhol fan send me a message & I’ll give you the address of a few Andy related sites in Pittsburgh. Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — The room size & comfort
  • Disliked — The parking garage cost with no in/out privileges
2 Thank siouxzy
West Pittston, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

After reading some of the negative posts about the Marriott, I just had to write a review in its defense. I stayed at the Marriott for two weeks on business about six months ago, but vividly remember how nice and clean the lobby was upon entering.

The front desk staff was quick to respond, friendly, and very helpful. In fact, the rest of the staff was often extremely polite and quick to greet you with a "Good Morning." The microfridge I had ordered to my room didn't work, and after a second one did not arrive within 30 minutes, a second call down to the main lobby was met with an apology and an indication that someone would be up to my room right away...as well as two complimentary breakfast coupons for my trouble. One of the bellhops was even willing to spend 10 minutes or so to point out some of the city's landmarks to me--even marking them down on a map of the city.

Nevertheless, this is the hotel's only flaw...its poor location. Walking anywhere, aside from the Mellon Arena, was at least a 10-15 minute endeavor. The hotel does, however, run a shuttle throughout a moderately large section of the city and south across the river to Southside Works and a second shopping center if requested. There is a Starbucks next door to the hotel, though...a major plus in my book. There's also an overpriced restaurant adjacent to the lobby, if that's your kind of thing. I avoided it and chose to hit the pavement to find dinner rather than shell out my hard-earned cash simply for the convenience.
If parking wasn't comped by my company, I can understand why it might be frustrating to try to find on-street parking without having to pay the garage fee. Bring your sneakers for a healthy trek, use the shuttle, or prepare to drive amongst the locals.

The Marriott's rooms are quite clean and the cleaning staff are often very thorough. The king-sized bed was nicely kept and very comfortable. I had no problems with any of the amenities in my room, except for the aforementioned problems with the microfridge. I didn't visit the fitness room, although I probably should have...especially after eating one of the greasy, tasteless sandwiches at Primanti Brothers. Don't believe the hype about Primanti Brothers, by the way. Once is more than enough.

The bathrooms were very attractive and I even snagged some of the complimentary Bath and Body works lotions and shampoos to bring home to my fiance. Yeah, she looked at me like I was some kind of cheapskate pack rat, too. Who knew? Anyway, I found my stay at the Marriott to be an very enjoyable one. Good for business, as the hotel was rather quiet at night...except for the fireworks following a Pirates game at about 11:00pm.

Overall, I found the Marriott to be an excellent hotel.

• Liked — The cleanliness of rooms, professional staff, and the Starbucks! Mmmm...Starbucks.
  • Disliked — Poor location, unless you're there for a Penguins game.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business