“Good stay for Steelers football but mixed review!”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Plains, Pennsylvania
“Good stay for Steelers football but mixed review!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We are a 50's couple; went to a Steeler's game. Great check-in! We arrived around 11 AM so were not able to physically check in that early but wanted them to know we were there. We told the gal we were going to the Steeler's game and she told us exactly where to get the "T" (subway), about 1 1/2 blocks away, which was FREE and took us right to the stadium...perfect! But then after the game we had to locate our car in the lot in order to get our bags and asked an elderly man that was stationed at a desk near parking lot how to find our car on 1st level. He pointed to an elevator. We had walked out of the parking lot to street level prior to the game and did not know how to get to our car from the hotel level so had to go back and ask him again. He then asked if we were staying at the hotel. Really? I think we were bothering him! Great, we got to our room on 16th floor, which was very nice! Clean room, bathroom, comfy king bed! But then around 8:30 am the maid staff tried to open our door without a knock, slid our check out info summary under the door; we had the deadbolt on door or would have entered. We were getting around a bit later and my husband went down to the car with our bags. I was in the bathroom while a maid knocked, hardly waited and then opened the door. I was not yet dressed and just slammed the door as she was coming in. Another negative is that my husband secured the room with one credit card but decided to use another cc in the meantime, which he gave them when we got the key card. Our 1st credit card was charged which was a debit and we had to wait several days for those charges to be dismissed. All in all it was a great trip and good time, a very nice room, but I feel some of the staff has to be re-trained....ie, the garage man and the maid staff! We did not use any of the facilities so unable to comment but the restaurant/bar looked nice. Our rating would have been A+ if not for some of the staff problems.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DebraG1
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I want to take this time to apologize for the issues that you faced while staying as our guest. Although the hotel and the parking garage are not owned or operated by the hotel, we still want our guests to have a great stay from start to finish even in areas that are not ours. We will be passing this information on to the owners and managers of the parking garage so they are aware of how this person made you feel. I am also sorry about our housekeepers disturbing you. I will be speaking with all of them so they are aware that this situation is not acceptable.
I am happy that despite these issues you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that we have you as our guests again so that we can show you a completely comfortable and enjoyable time in Pittsburgh.
Again, thank you and have a wonderful holiday season!

Marriott Pittsburgh City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you are a business traveller you are okay, the hotel is dependable and centrally located. If you travel on your own dime, you may get a feel that hotel needs a face lift. We stayed there for a few days and then stayed in Springhill suites by Marriott for half price without sucrificing the quality. Springhill was 15 miles away from downtown though.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank First_Advice
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for writing about your recent stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt the hotel needs a facelift. Although we are soon going to start our last phase of renovations in our restaurant, the rest of the building was just recently finished. I hope that once the restaurant is complete we can have you as our guest again to show you our new product. Again, thank you for your feedback. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

What sets chain hotels apart from other chains and same hotels in other places is service, small touches and location. This hotel has all three: the location is perfect for a weekend in the city (right across from the Consol Center, downtown, with a nice view of Mt. Washington, I believe), the staff is attentive and pleasant (and, in Pittsburgh, that is not always a given) and the small touches, like a fridge with chilled water and fruit in the gym, along with a working sauna, are awesome. Stayed only one night, on business, but enjoyed the stay greatly and would return for a personal or business visit for sure. Breakfast was on point, with even some European touches to it, like brie and prosciutto, along with other items, as well as made to order, to your table, omelletes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mali_Urke
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time as our guest. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future! Have a wonderful holiday season!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was surprised and very pleased by this hotel. The rooms are large, clean, and newly appointed, with enormous closets. The location is convenient and the breakfast buffet is exceptional. Mind you, the overall ambience is no-frills, but I have seldom encountered a team of staff as friendly and accomodating. People seem to enjoy both working here and with each other. Who cares about crown molding in the rooms and lovely carpets in the halls, when you know you can count on the people who truly matter, the folks who will lead to you safety in an emergency and send you on your way, truly concerned that you be able to able to navigate Pittsburgh--with its myriad bridges and confusing highways--with confidence? I'd stay hear again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NolaHal
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am very pleased to hear that your stay with us was a very good one and that our associates were able to convey to you that your stay and your time in Pittsburgh truly matters to us. I hope we see you again in the near future!

Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for a few days on business. The location was good for me. The restaurant was good and service was fine. There is little in the surrounding area for restaurants, however. If you are doing business in the immediate area, it is easier to take a cab to/from the airport than to get a rental car. Gas stations are seemingly difficult to locate between the hotel and the airport.

Room Tip: High floors give you a little view of the city. Mine had a decent view of Duquesne University campus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank remerton
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am glad that while you stayed with us you were able to dine in our restaurant. I appreciate the advice that you gave to our future guests. Again, thank you and have a wonderful day!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on and off the past 10 years and have been there more recently as my work assignments changed. I am very happy with the improvements that have taken place over the past few months. I like the new decor overall and the new room design is great. Free wireless is wonderful!

The value of this hotel is very good, though I receive a lower contracted rate through my work. I recently stayed at another Marriott property in another state. That property was much more expensive; howeve, I think that this hotel is much better.

The hotel is a liitle bit of a distance to the center of downtown, It's not bad, but it can be a factor when it's raining or otherwise inclement. You can always call the shuttle and they will pick you up, though.

The lobby and nearby streets can get really crowded when there is a hockey game so guests should take that into consideration.

Room Tip: The elevators are loud so I would recommend trying to avoid rooms by them.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kar0h
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your information on our hotel. I am happy to hear that you have visited us since our renovations have been completed and that you enjoy our new hotel! I hope that your business continues to bring you to Pittsburgh and we have you as our guest again soon! Have a wonderful day!

Belleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here recently while on business in Pittsburgh and was very pleased with the hotel. My only criticism is that the bathroom in my room was among the smallest I've ever seen. That said, the staff was especially helpful and courteous and the room itself was nice. There aren't many dining choices near the hotel, but they do have a shuttle and the staff was willing to make suggestions if you didn't mind driving. Parking was expensive but no more so than what you find in most cities. I will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am very happy that you were able to take time to share your experience with us. I am also very pleased to hear that the staff was helpful and kind. We look forward to seeing you in the near future! Have a wonderful day!