“Great post Valentine's Day stay”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night to celebrate Valentines Day (we celebrated two days later). We used our Marriott points so the stay was free. My first impressions of the hotel were not so good. We arrived around 10pm and the person at the check in desk seemed tired, he didn't even say hello, he just asked for our name and handed us our keys. I had to look to see the room number because he didn't even mention that too us. The room was nice, clean with a view of the downtown area (wish is was on a higher floor b/c most of our view was of roof tops.) The best part of our stay was the cocktail lounge, the waitress and bartender were wonderful. We stayed for several hours talking to them and trying their new drinks. The service staff was by far the best thing about this place. The hotel's hospitality staff should learn a thing or two or twenty from them because they truly made our stay enjoyable! P.S. Get the Chocolate Martini's they are the best I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2011

The room was very quiet and peaceful. The workout facility was cleaned it seemed every 15minutes.and refreshed with bottled water and fruit. Only bad part was it was a sunday, snowing and the hotel resturant had a limited menu, however many places deliver.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I understand a lot of the reviews of this place. If you think you are going to get a plush Marriott in the bustle center of downtown Pittsburgh, you are going to be sorely disappointed. For the price, its probably not worth it. Last time i stayed a got a great deal on Priceline, this time i was part of a big group going to the Xavier - Duquesne game. It right across the street from the arena, so that was good. Rooms were fine and dandy. Breakfast was pretty gross and they want $15 for the buffet. All in all, its probably not worth paying the full price but its a decent place and the location was great for us.

G Man

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott City Center to attend the Bon Jovi concert in Feb. We were making a weekend out of it and wanted to be in close promity to the Consol Energy Center for the concert.
I had read the previous reviews and thought to myself, how bad can it be.
I decided to use my Marriott points for the stay so the only thing it cost us was the $26 valet parking fee. (Parking for the concert was $20 so what was 6 more dollars for valet.)
I know from living in this area that this is an old hotel, but it does not meet Marriott standards. When we first entered the room, I didn't think it was that bad. But after you are there for awhile you notice all the work the room needs. We stayed on the 19th floor which made it nice to see the city, but the room needs revamped.
On the webpage for the hotel it says that they are remodeling so maybe our room was not done yet.
As one review said, they still have the old fashioned box televisions.
Marriott bedding is very comfortable and that still holds true at this hotel, but everything else needs updated.
The bar before the concert was very crowded due to the concert. We did not attempt to go. We walked one block down the road and went to the Souper Bowl. Much cheaper and good bar food if that is your scene.
We stayed here for the convenience but would not stay here if I had to pay the $230 a night fee.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmmaglet
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This was not the best Marriott. Like other reviewers said, it was worn at the edges and could use some updating. However, in its defense I will say I ordered an omelette about a half hour after they stopped serving breakfast, and after initially saying no they called me back and delivered it to the room.

And that made me happy.

That said there are better locations in Pittsburgh. And there wasn't wireless but you could use an ethernet cord for free.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingJane22
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Why are so many Marriott's falling apart before my eyes. I am not sure which Marriott is worse - this one or the Conshohocken one in West Philly. The location is terrible unless you are going to a Penguins game or visiting Duquense University. There are no decent food options anywhere nearby. The hotel itself is grimy all around the edges and the beds are stiff. Every piece of furniture - in the rooms, lobby, concierge lounge, hallways - is gashed, smashed, chipped and dented. The in room TVs are 1983 fuzz boxes. It is enough to make me want to quit even trying to stay at Marriotts any more. When in Pittsburgh, if you are a Marriott Rewards Platinum, stay at the Renaissance on the river. It blows this place away.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank CFRHallett
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I've just completed my second four day stint in Pittsburgh in the last four weeks. Initially I booked this location because of its proximity to where I was doing business. The first indication of an issue should have been when people asked me where I was staying, I told them and they replied; "Why there of all places?"

The process to register is laborious. If you get there on an off night (read non-Penquin game night) you have to wait because the person at the desk is too busy chatting on their phone. If you come on a busy night, you stand in line because there is not enough desk help.

The room the first trip looked like the redecorating process stopped with the wallpaper since it was coming off the walls in a number of places. The curtains were disheveled and I tossed two towels out in the hallway that were still lying on the floor in the room as you walked in.

The second time (that's right I actually went back) they placed me next to the Presidential suite. What they failed to tell me is that there was a meeting going on (7pm on a Sunday evening) which was very loud. So I had to request to be moved. The room they sent me to had no towels but at least was clean. I got more towels from the housekeeping employee who was down the hall at the time.

If you feel like taking a shower that goes on and off pressure wise, then you'll love this hotel. That happened during both stays.

The concierge lounge needs some work. having traveled extensively I can tell you the food is sub par (read usually cold) and the service in the evening is nil. The woman shows up every once in a while, looks around and leaves. By the way if you are looking for coffee early evening you will not find it in the lounge which means you have to go down 20 floors to the restaurant and get some. I do want to mention that the service in the morning is much better although the food is still from from what you expect from them.

Parking here is not only an issue but ridiculous on nights when there is a sporting event in town. You pay $22 a night and then you have to drive up and down the floors hoping to find a spot when the Penguins are in town. If you find one, then you still have to lug your briefcase, etc. to get back to the hotel entrance. They tell me that the only way to best get around all this is to valet park.

During a sporting event, the place is a madhouse. The lobby becomes and extension of the arena across the street. The crowds are large and the noise levels are high. If you have had a long day you will have to get through the crowds and then stand for who knows how long to get an elevator.

Finally the lounge. I like to enjoy a cold one or a glass of wine with my meal and watch whatever the sporting event is on TV The staff was ok but again the food is subpar.

I could go on but it suffices to say my next visit to Pittsburgh will take me to another venue. Marriott is still my hotel of choice and people tell me the other locations in and around town are better. We'll see.

Stay away from this place unless you own a hockey jersey and a stick.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business