“Owner's Son is a Real Jerk”
Review of Mamma D's Restaurant - CLOSED

Mamma D's Restaurant
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Farm to table restaurant. Craft Brew Pub and Winery. Hand Crafted wines made on the premises. Chefs Nicholas Desiato and Chef Louie Desiato create gastonomic marvels. Beer Store, Wine & Gift Shop, Cheeses and Salamis, Italian Novelties
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that we have eaten at this restaurant at least a half a dozen times over the last couple of years and it was enjoyable. That is because the owner Louie has always been gracious to me and my family. However, we learned that Louie and his partner are away on a cruise this week and left his 23 year old jerk of a son in charge.

We were a group of 5 adult family members to celebrate a birthday. We arrived at 6:15 PM on a Sunday night and it was strange that the entire dining room was empty. I saw about 4 people sitting at the bar. For a family type of restaurant it wasn't a good sign that we were the only one's eating at dinner time on a Sunday. Maybe the locals knew something that we didn't. Once seated we all were cold and I asked if they could turn on the fireplace which was burning nicely when my wife and I were there last month. The server who was very nice said sure but apparently the owner's son didn't want to be bothered as it was never lit. By the way I noticed that the thermostat on the wall was set at 66 degrees. A couple of people at the table wanted to order some hot tea to warm up but the server said that the restaurant ran out of tea as the owner's son forgot to order it. Since when does a restaurant run out of tea bags?

First food that was served was the bread. For 5 adults the basket had five very skinny pieces of bread. After awhile when we asked for some more bread they again served 5 more small skinny pieces. For the main course we ordered either chicken parmesan or veal parmesan. Although tasty the portions were extremely small - one 4 oz piece of veal.

Here is where the real problem began. Since we have enjoyed the restaurant in the past when we got an email last year from Groupon I decided to purchase their offer which I paid $89.00 for a wine tasting for 4 valued at $200.00. The wine tasting offer expired in Sept and unfortunately we were unable to attend because my wife was very sick during that time and spent 11 days in the hospital in Sept when we originally planned to use it. However, in bold print the Groupon said that the value of $89.00 never expires and can be used at the restaurant at any time as long as you spend more than the $89.00. Our bill came to around $125.00 so we presented the coupon along with a $50.00 bill. The server looked distressed and said that this could be a problem. Ten minutes later the owner's son comes out of the kitchen with a major attitude problem and says that he is not going to honor the coupon which we paid $89.00 for. Nicely I explained to him that we intended to use it for the wine tasting however because my wife was in the hospital (4 days in intensive care) that we could not come before the deadline but it said in bold print that it never expired for the paid amount. He said that is too bad and he won't accept it. He said he is very versed in this coupon and it is only good for 6 months after the expiration date. My wife said 6 months isn't until March and anyway again she said to please read where it says that it never expires. At that point the snot nose low life that Louie left to run his restaurant tore up the coupon into a dozen pieces in front of our table and said "Your money is not good in my restaurant" and proceeded to go to the back and threw our $50 bill on our table. I was truly shocked at this behavior. Here we were the only patrons eating dinner in his father's restaurant on a Sunday evening and he acted this way towards me and my family. The manager who was very nice overheard what happened and came out to apologize. However, it didn't matter how nice he could act or what he could say as we would never patronize their restaurant again. I am the president of a well known national company located a few miles from Mama D's and I will make sure that if anyone ever mentions this restaurant that I tell them the bad experience and the disgraceful way that we were treated.

15  Thank Kevin A

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Mamma D's in Pipersville (PA) is a unique experience. The owners and staff are friendly and professional. The food and beverage selections are unique and very good. Vineyard with house made wine are old world vintages. Many beer choices are also a refreshing attraction.
A variety of food choices accomodates a range of palates, Luigi Desiato's friendly sense of humor is a real treat. The experience of old world and new world come together at the outside bar, the inside bar and the restaurant, In 2013, the Desiato family will feature many products via the recently innovated distillery. Mamma D's is becoming a favorite place to eat, drink and enjoy personalities. I highly recommend the experience repeatedly.

2  Thank RayMattern
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Mamna D's is a nice family restaurant with a good atmosphere. The owner is very nice and friendly, but he may want to speak to his other employees about their attitude.

The food is very good. Not the best, but good. Prices are a bit high, especially at their store.

All in All it's a good neighorhood place to go.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Coming back from o wow cow I thought this would be a great place to eat especially since they make their own wine. Well, I could not have been more on the wrong track. Their wines were nothing short of horrible only to wait 34 minutes to have the bartender say he took our food order when he didn't. I understand that this place was on restaurant impossible. WHAT THE F WAS THIS PLACE LIKE BEFORE. NowI will say that the owner was very nice and did greet us when we came in and that was the best part of our visit. The menu was limited, and the prices were high. We insisted on paying for or wine and left. Disappointed and hungry, because we never did get anyone to take our order. I understand they were having a closed party, but if you can't handle the heat. . . .get out of the kitchen and closed for the night! Or for good.

4  Thank Appelofmyeye
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I grew up going to Mamma d's restaurant and it is still my favorite italian spot when i come home from LA. I have to stop in just to eat the eggplant meatballs. im obsessed!!! They really are in my top 10 best thing I ever ate and I have traveled the world eating food. All the food there is great but the eggplant meatballs are a must! Enjoy :)

2  Thank Pav s