“A few improvements needed to maintain the desired reputation”
Review of Seven Stars Inn

Seven Stars Inn
Ranked #3 of 110 Restaurants in Phoenixville
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The staff here was so nice and friendly that I really, really wish my review was better, but I have to be honest to be helpful.

The Seven Stars Inn is located in a historic building in Phoenixville, and I like nothing more than historic buildings. However, though historic, the atmosphere feels dated, more like a restaurant of the 1980s. Hours are limited, as they are only open for the dinner. On Sunday, they close at 7pm. Most of the guests on the Sunday we went were celebrating a birthday.

There were 6 adults. Three had the prime rib entree and 3 had seafood entrees. All entrees were very large, which is what they are known for. All entrees were cooked appropriately and we had no complaints.

The side dishes, however, were another story. Everyone of our side dishes from mashed potatoes to spinach was served cold. We mentioned this to the waiter who immediately went to get replacement side dishes. By the time they arrived we were pretty much finishing up...and worse yet, the replacement sides were at best luke warm. I wonder why someone didn't check the temperature before serving a replacement. We just left it go since we were pretty much full by then.

As nice as the waiter was, she was slow. She may have had too many tables, but we waited quite a while to have beverage orders taken, then another while to have them arrive. She apologized for the latter saying food had come out that she needed to serve for another party. When the meal was served, each side came on a separate dish, which was another time killer. One by one each person's meal was slowly served. They would do well to help each other out when serving a larger group so that there isn't so much waiting while the waiter treks back and forth to her tray twice per person.

The support staff did very well keeping water glasses full, removing trash from the table. The bread plates and cracker basket could have been removed to make more room for the entrees and the three dishes they are served on. Things got a little crowded on the table.

My opinion is that if the Seven Stars in wants to maintain the reputation they desire and justify the cost of the meals, improvements need to be made. Twice served cold sides are not acceptable and servers need to help each other out to get group meals served efficiently.

As stated before, the employees were all kind, helpful and friendly.

3  Thank thesuburbangirl

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I must start by saying I have known this restaurant for 33 years. All from a first business trip and finding it by chance. I was down here now for business and drove an extra 40 minutes to go to
Seven Stars. I must say it was just as good if not better than the first time.
I had the prime rib. Oh my God! It was an incredible piece of meat. I couldn't finish it all.
The sides were great. The waiter was exceptionally good and very friendly.
Of course w e started talking about hockey which is a impart of my life.
The restaurant is so quaint and goes back I believe over 200 years.
There are stories that go with the restaurant that are so interesting.
It is a must stay if you are in the area.

1  Thank Summersnuggles
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stepping into the lobby is like going back to the Victorian era. We've eaten here several times over the past few years and have never been disappointed. There's nothing exotic or leading edge, but the menu has good variety and many excellent offerings. They are famous for their large portions and giant lobster tails. These lobster tails are sweet, succulent and huge and the jumbo lump crabmeat is just as good. The prime rib is tender, juicy and flavorful. The service is attentive but not smothering. This is a place appropriate for a special occasion, or a drop in for a casual, delicious meal.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The food was inconsistent... two of three ordered were good but not what you would expect for the money, one was ordered med rare and arrived well done. Our server could not address the issue and the group was finished with dinner before the manager arrived at the table to take the steak back and replace it with a "good" one. The asparagus was full of water and soggy (up charge veggie for $5) we sent it back and the replacement was the same. The manager's response was, "well it is frozen, what do you expect" . The prices are 5 star, the steaks are close to what you could expect at Outback, the sides are substandard...but to be honest, the atmosphere and the charm are winners. Love the idea of the place just not worth the price.... Go to Ruth Chris and get what you pay for. A little revamping and Seven Stars has all of the makings of 5 star jewel!! If they ever make the changes needed, I would go back...

4  Thank myissii
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After not visiting this restaurant for about 18 years, we decided to go back. A party of six for two birthday celebrations. We were all delighted. My filet was marvelous - I also had mushrooms, smothered in Bernaise sauce.....creamed peas.....and garlic mashed potatoes. it was a truly wonderful experience and we will be back very soon again.
Some people call this place "dated", but I love the old world charm - the antiques, the red wall covering (very 70s!) and the country look. In addition, they make huge (and very good) martinis! (The only thing missing was the cigarette smoke at the bar I remember fondly from decades ago---how I miss that! Go ahead & scold me you whiny nonsmokers!....LOL....I used an electronic cigarette that worked just fine at the bar).
Anyway, their timeless reputation of big portion sizes continues. Several at our table had leftovers to take home and there were no disappointments within our party throughout the evening.
And the service? Great. Friendly bartenders and an attentive server completed the picture.
Give it a try if you like "retro" places!

2  Thank JKinPA