“Just OK for us”

Pepperoncini Sotto Resaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pepperoncini Sotto Resaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 106 Restaurants in Phoenixville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bridge and Main
Collegeville PA
“Just OK for us”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our first visit to Pepperoncini and we were here to celebrate an anniversary that my wife's parents were celebrating. The place sits below a hotel and you have to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the place. I didn't see any handicap accessible entrance, but I may have missed it.

Inside, the place is sort of split between the bar area and the dining area. Both areas are not overly big. In the dining area, there were about a dozen tables, covered in white table clothes. We had a reservation, so we were quickly seated when we arrived. Our party consisted of four adults and two young children. Although their online menu doesn't show it, they do have a very small kids menu that consisted of some pasta and chicken dishes. We ended up just ordering the kids a pizza, which was a thin crust pizza. It was of decent size and in hindsight, our two young ones could have shared it.

For starters, we went with the Fried Mozzarella and the Fried Calamari. Both were good, but I definitely preferred the Fried Mozzarella, There were three pieces and each one had a different sauce on it. If that's not your thing, you should ask for the sauce on the side. We all had the Caesar Salad with our entrees, which was good. For my entree, I went with the pasta with braised pork. It was just OK for me and I thought it was a little too watery. A few others in our party had the crab cakes, which they said was good and my mother-in-law said the shrimp scampi special was very good. For dessert, I had the cannoli's, which could have used more filling. The tiramisu though was excellent!

Service was just OK and several times, we were left with empty glasses. A 20% tip was automatically added to our party of 6. I would have preferred a 15% tip be automatically added and let me add more for excellent service.

• Visited December 2013

Chester County, PA
“Another great meal”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited, yet again, last Friday night (1st Friday in Phoenixville) and was treated to the usual very good food, wine and service. Their specials are different and usually one of us ends up getting one of them. The veal Corleone was delicious as usual. One of our favorite places and a must try if you haven't.

• Visited August 2013
PA
“A Nice Surprise for Quality Italian”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had dinner on a Friday evening here and were seated right away. The "basement" location is unusual but overall it is nicely done with good atmosphere, music and a decent bar area in the back. The service was exceptional. The food was fresh and high quality Italian with a good presentation. We each had seafood/pasta specials that evening and enjoyed every bite. This place does not look like much from the outside but try it for a good Italian dinner.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MangiaGuy
PALENVILLE
“Worth going to.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked down the stairs at The Mainstay Inn and found Pepperoncini Sotto on The ground floor. It is a very nice resturant with an attentive staff. The food was excellent. There is also music(solo act) on most Friday and Saturday nights. The menu was a little expensive but it is in line with other area resturants.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank PETER G
Trenton, New Jersey
“Good (but not great) food, good service, decent price”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Four of us went to this restaurant on Thursday night at 7pm. Parking was difficult - while there were few people in the restaurant (there seemed to be more in the bar area), the parking lot was completely full, and street side parking was not plentiful.

Inside is small, but cozy, while not being cramped. The decor is not especially Italian, or especially attractive, but it's not gaudy, either. We ordered a bruschetta appetizer (from the specials) that was quite good - 4 pieces of somewhat crusty bread with plenty of toppings. Our entrees included a pizza, spaghetti with meatballs, eggplant parmesan, and a lobster ravioli. The food was all cooked well, and tasted fine. The eggplant and the ravioli were small for entrees, and did not come with any other food. We did not have dessert.

There was quite a wine selection, a fair number of different beers (and styles of beer), and a good sized cocktail menu. The waitress did a good job relaying the specials, though she waited a while, so we had already decided on our entrees. She was very assertive with refilling water the moment the glass was half full - this is attentive, but interrupted conversations many times even though she was not asked for the refill. When we were done eating, plates were cleared very quickly, and she was friendly throughout. Our total bill was just over $70, which is good for 4 entrees, an appetizer, and 3 drinks (including one alcoholic drink).

So, atmosphere was fine but not great, food was fine but not great, service was good, and price was good. 3 1/2 stars, but since I can't, I'll do 3 since there was nothing that was truly outstanding to push it to "very good".

• Visited January 2013