“Average Italian (Just Barely!)”

Pepperoncini Sotto Resaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pepperoncini Sotto Resaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 100 Restaurants in Phoenixville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bridge and Main
Chester County, PA
“Average Italian (Just Barely!)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Visited Pepperoncini Sotto recently with friends. Our reservations were recognized and we were promptly seated in the dining room. It was a Friday night and the place was pretty well packed. The adjoining bar area was rather loud and there were live musicians performing which raised the noise level in the dining area even more.

Italian bread and seasoned olive oil came to the table quickly and were refilled without asking. Opening salads that came with dinner were simple but nicely chilled and fresh. One of our guests ordered her salad without dressing and unfortunately the three other salads were also served that way. Our server removed the cost of our desserts from the bill to compensate for this oversight. Our dining partners ordered Veal Sinatra (with crab, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, herbs and wine over linguini) and Chicken Parmesan (also with linguini) and enjoyed them both. I chose Chicken San Nicola (with shrimp, crab, sun-dried tomatoes in a white wine sauce) and it was well prepared tasty. My wife selected Herb Roasted Chicken served with goat cheese risotto and it was not pleasant. The risotto was dry and way over-cooked and also very over-cheesed causing the flavor to clash with, rather than compliment, the rosemary grilled chicken. If an Italian restaurant screws up risotto, you can't help but question the skill level of the kitchen. My wife gave her dish a below average. We ordered tiramisu for dessert which was served still frozen in the middle. When we were in Costco several days later, we thought we saw the same cake in their freezer. Why not a delicious made in house dessert?

It should be noted that we recently dined at Pepperoncini's original location in Conshohocken. Our experience there was quite positive so it was difficult for us not to make comparisons. We preferred the "feel" of the Conshy location - smaller, more warm and cozy - and the service there was quite a bit better. Our server in Phoenixville told us that our dinner order had gotten stuck behind that of a large party in the other room and as a result, we waited a LONG time for our entrees. Menus at both places are identical however we felt the preparations in Conshohocken were far better. Phoenixville does offer complimentary valet parking which is a big plus over having to find a parking spot on the streets of Conshy.

Our bill for food alone came to $102 but keep in mind we were not charged for our dessert. Wine and drinks average about $10 so take that into consideration also. If you're not familiar with Pepperoncini, our suggestion is to make the drive to their Conshohocken location; you'll have a much nicer dining experience.

• Visited September 2012

Fort Worth, Texas
“Good Italian food in a small town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Went for a family dinner, good homemade food all reasonably priced. A varity of different dishes on the menu, and allot of specials. Live band, a little loud for me but that's just me.

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Good Happy Hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

This place is great for happy hour whether it is outside on a Friday when it begins at 1PM or any other day of the week inside. They have Peroni on tap and a few other very good beers. They have good food specials during happy hour as well, $5 pizza. We have been here for dinner and the food is very good, I recommend getting the small plates.

Visited July 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Subterranean Dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were lured to this place by an employee who was handing out leaflets on the canal towpath in Mont Clare that touted the $5 martini. Rising to this bait, we walked in without reservations. I should say we walked down, as the place is in a basement, devoid of windows for people-watching, a favorite sport of ours. Anyway, on the good side, the martini I ordered was promptly delivered to table by a most congenial waiter, and it was quite well made to my specifications. The water glasses were kept brimming full for the entire meal, which was good because the dish I had was quite salty. We didn't order an appetizer as the bread came very quickly and it was nice and warm and delivered with the traditional plate of olive oil (Italian butter). It was a Sunday evening, and we looked over the “Red Sauce Sundays” menu which features nine Italian home-style entrees including a house salad for $15. We opted instead to order from the dinner entree menu. I had the braciole over roasted potatoes with marinara. It was a heaping portion, far more than I could eat in a single sitting and saltier than the Mediterranean Sea. I should have ordered from the Sunday special selection which has the braciole over linguini, however I like potatoes. The dinner entree was priced at $14, but without the salad. I had a Caesar salad that was very good, but realized later it was an additional $9, which I think is a lot for a plate of Romaine with some croutons and dressing. Getting back to the entree, I must say the braciole stuffed with pine nuts and raisins delivered few flavor notes as it had been so heavily seduced by the salty marinara sauce. I was expecting something a little more subtle and interesting. The potatoes were likewise drowning in the red sauce so the entire dish had but one flavor - disappointing. My lady faired better with the caramelized scallops in a roasted tomato saffron sauce. Aside from the food, the service was excellent, the furnishings new, the place was very clean and neat, the prices, well what can I say that I haven't already said? I would probably try another place the next time, but I might stop in Pepperoncini first for a good martini.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Larry W
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Outstanding Family-Owned Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I love going here when I'm in town. Being a family owned restaurant, the people who work there seem to have a little extra to prove. The meals I've had there are very good and the people I bring with me always come away impressed with the service and the quality of food. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2012