“Yum Yum in my Tum” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Daddy Mims Creole - CLOSED

Daddy Mims Creole
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Yum Yum in my Tum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

2nd favorite BYOB in Phoenixville. Very decadent flavors. The food is very rich. You will not be disappointed at the end of your night.

Visited December 2012

Philadelphia Suburbs
“We waited long enough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well folks I have to say, after waiting 2 years, yes 2 years to get in here we finally made it. Surprisingly there were only 5 other tables on this Sunday evening. Don't know why we could never get reservations. Anyway we finally got here and at the new location in the old Columbia building. We had a drink in the bar, as they has a full liquor license,which is really a beautiful old wooden bar. Bartender was really very nice and told us the whole deal about moving into the new location. Forgot to mention the staff at the front door were very nice with greeting us also. Funny that there was really no indication that Daddy Mims was located here. No sign anywhere outside. And that is the only negative I can say about our entire evening. I cook creole and cajun food and I travel to New Orleans almost once a year. So I think I'm qualified to say it was fantastic. I was expecting it to be so, so. However Daddy Mims more than impressed us. We did the Tour of New Orleans tasting menu $40 and it was great. The etouffe was just a bit better than mine as was everything else. You could see the deep dark work and taste of an excellent rouge as base of the dish. Commanders Palace shrimp roumaloude was excellent. The staff was very attentive and fun. The chef served us some of the dishes and came out and thanked us for the visit. The table next to us had come from New York, they had heard how good the chef was and I have to agree. I never got to eat in their old location but I really like the new location. The age of the place makes is feel like you're in old New Orleans. Go and enjoy. Their recording says they only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. Don't wait for them to call back, just go.

• Visited December 2012
Mont Clare, Pennsylvania
“Excellent cajun taste of new orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Love the etouffee and other cajun-inspired entrees. Great staff. Also outside seating and beautiful inside. Try it out.

Visited December 2012
Philadelphia
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Cajun seafood at it's finest. I've gone there for just appetizers. A little pricey but it's worth it.

Visited October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not sure if I missed something...?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We happened to be in Phoenixville last night, and we tried this place at the recommendation of our friends who live nearby. Based on that and all the reviews, I really had high hopes. But, we had a severe case of dinner disappointment. First, we walked in (their new location is this big old building that used to house another restaurant) and the place was completely empty. When I told the hostess that we did not have a reservation, she peered into the huge, empty room and appeared to be assessing the situation. After a moment, she said, "Sure, that's no problem!". I almost laughed in her face, that was so ridiculous.

I love creole and cajun food, so I was really excited. My husband chose the crab bisque and the jambalaya. I did the four course tasting menu for $35. The server was accompanied by another server in training who was wearing this very (distastefully) tight outfit. Why do restaurants make their servers dress all trendy and such? YOU ARE WORKING IN FOOD SERVICE. I don't wan't to see everything, and I'm not impressed with a saucy looking server.

Now, for the food. The server made a point of telling me that the first two courses were considered appetizers while the third (crawfish etoufee lasagna) would be a larger, entree sized portion. I am not into large restaurant portions, but I'm not sure why she told me this when the smallest entree award of my entire life goes to...you guessed it, the crawfish etoufee lasagna. And, it was just OK. Actually, I would say that it was less OK than my first two courses which were just really bland. The lasagna had no indication that it was made with any crawfish, and I don't know where the "etoufee" came in. It was not at all what I had in mind, and it was extremely salty overall and lacking any other flavor. My husband's soup was very bland with a couple of pieces of crab sprinkled on top. One of my courses was accompanied by a saffron rice, which I almost would bet money on that it was not homemade. The rice kind of had that texture that minute rice has. Not good.

Also of note was the bizarre use of this young man as a food runner, or similar. Our server took our orders, uncorked our wine, and brought our check. But...she did not serve us anything. There was this young, clueless guy who brought everything. And, he consistently put the wrong dish in front of the wrong person. He didn't even ask which dish went to whom. I hate this "auctioning of food" as well, but it's better than having to always switch plates with your husband.

Over hyped, in my opinion. For the $80 we spent on dinner (this was just food, since we brought our own wine), we could have done a lot better. Not a good value, not good food quality. Everyone seems to love it, but I'm not sure if I missed something.

• Visited December 2012