“Used to be a nice place.....”

Harbor Inn Phillipsburg
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Let's sum it up this way...Have you ever seen wall paper tacked to the wall with push pins???
From there it was downhill. Way over priced at $56. I've traveled this country extensively for 20 years and have yet to see anything worse than this dump. Wait till the price is under $10, then consider it. This is probably a classic example of a change of ownership recently and the new owners letting it go to hell while sucking it dry....just saying...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chuck L

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here awhile back and believe me didnt think it was going to be open much longer but i guess i was wrong. Well anyways I just stayed again and noticed that there is alot of upgrading going now rooms are being redone and the place is alot cleaner then the last time i stayed. The front desk clerk Brenda was a wonderful and sweet young lady and help us with everything that we need and how to find places. Couldnt have ask to a better stay this time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Where do I begin?...1. No fitted bottom sheet on the mattress - just an undersized flat sheet that didn't cover the entire mattress. 2. This flat sheet was COVERED in hair. 3. The lobby, hallways, and rooms reek of cigarette smoke. 4. The microwave oven in the room didn't work. 5. The so-called wifi only works within the vicinity of the lobby. Stay away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AMECTraveler
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have no idea how this place is still in buisness. my family and i ended up in philipsberg by mistake, and it being late and all we chose to stay instead of driving through the night. huge mistake. the carpet, lamp, curtain, furniture, bedding, and towels are all stained and bathroom is so discusting i recomend you dont step foot in it unless absolutely you have to. This discrace of an inn should be dimolished. Sleep in your car if you can, and if you cant sleep on the streets. sorry for my spelling, i'm foriegn.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We arrived women at the desk checked in and went to room on our way we encountered two children running screaming in the hall and then two hotel doors open with adults having a party and not watching there children they were very loud. The next morning we got up and went to take a bath no hot water we left and asked the lady at the front desk she said that everyone using it must have drained the tanks. We came back that night and before we get to our room there is a party going on between the same. Room kids screaming adults carrying on and now there is a dog in one room barking loudly we get to our room we still have no hot water dog was barking till 1am go to let light in the room there is mold (back) around the window and sill and on the ledge we ended up leaving would never recommended that place to anyone.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My wife made this reservation 24 miles out of State College since hotel rates were high due to a HS volleyball tournament at Penn State. She said, "for the price this hotel beats camping" which was a possible alternative. Well when my son and I got here we in fact thought we should have gone camping. The hotel lobby smelled like campfire smoke, and the front desk gal was about as friendly as one might have found at a poorly run KOA campground or a motel that only provided hourly rentals. The hallway carpet was pretty stained, so I wasn't terribly surprised to see wallpaper curling from the room wall and paint peeling from the bathroom ceiling. This was the second hotel in my life, last time was a dump in Tahiti, were I pulled back the covers of the bed to check for bed bugs. I was pleasantly surprised not to find any. Nonetheless I found it more comforting to sleep in PJ's and avoid the sheets covering my body. The sheets were washed so many times that they felt like paper napkins and sheer enough to see through. Since we were stuck in this hell hole for two nights we spent as much time away from the room as possible. A nice Chinese restauant in the shopping center across the street was a treat as it ate up some time in avoidance going back to the room. The other funny was the big round water puddle in the parking lot, I suggested to my son that he put on his bathing suit and I take a picture of him posed to take a dive in what would have made a splash for the motel adversting of another amenity better than the slower than molasses wi-fi. We cancelled the next night and found another for the same px in State College. Good hunting.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Robutox11
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Toilet kept from rocking by the placement of wooden shems; burn holes in the blankets; holes in the walls (okay some holes had been spackled but not painted; curtains, YES even the curtains, were stained; vinyl wallpaper peeling off of the walls; urine around the toilet; dorm-sized refrigerator filthy; microwave was food splattered; bathtub dirty and dark-stained; shelf attached to wall in bathroom made of metal - rusted, paint peeling from it. Lobby dark and dank and smelled like cigarette smoke - not welcoming in the least. Area where continential breakfast would be served was smelled like a bar - the heavy smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. KFC, supermarket, and McD's across the street - I would suggest that you dine there. The countertops were dirty. Would you really eat breakfast here? Even if it is FREE? The key got stuck in the loosely attached doorknob. Two chairs provided for the round table was stained. Propped one of those chairs against the door for safety (Did you think we were going to sit on them?)! The lamp and it's metal stand were rusted. See my pictures of you dare - not for those with weak stomachs.

Unfortunately, hotels in the area were booked solid because of a special event at Penn State so we were stuck and HAD to stay here. Luckily there was a Family Dollar across the street where we purchased disinfectant. We wore beach shoes to walk across the filthy carpeting. Should have just slept in the car!

Room Tip: Familiarize yourself with the cancellation policy so you can keep your options open and can avoid pl...