“A place for discerning palates”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maize Restaurant

Maize Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Perkasie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A place for discerning palates”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been mourning the loss of my favorite Gilmore's (R.I.P.) but for all sad things a good thing comes along and takes its place -- that place for me is Maize. It even is on a quaint small town street similar to that of Gilmore's though it is not upscale in interior design.
Our group totally flipped for it and we are one fussy bunch of foodies.

The minuses first: At least a 45 minute travel for us.
The noise level when filled is deafening, and shouting is the only route to go. No wonder that wait person (Bob is his name) shouts with all his enthusiasm -- he doesn't want to repeat the specials because you didn't hear him the first time. (ha!)
Actually, he was the ONLY wait person in the entire place FOR ALL TABLES! That's pretty daunting and he obviously loves his work.

The time factor for some may be a big turn off -- we arrived at 6:30 and departed 9:30, but we didn't mind the long wait one iota. We got to schmooze with our close friends, drink wine -- it's a BYOB so bring plenty of your own to imbibe while waiting -- and spend more quality time together is all.
I don't pretend to think that everyone would love going to this unique restaurant due to the noise factor but if you are a foodie, you'll put all that aside and just plain "go!". The food and fresh ingredients the chef insists upon using are well worth it and it is definitely a cut above.

Now to the good stuff:
I really don't want to start detailing what everyone had because it's been done already in other posts, all of whom raved about their food but maybe 1 poster -- that's a pretty good score if you ask me.
Suffice to say EVERYTHING was superb and creatively designed. That chef is talented and really has a sophisticated palate.
My fluke was the best dish I ever had.
Don't be turned off by the olive oil ice cream -- it is deadly good -- I kid you not.
We all agreed that for $120 a couple, we intend to go back again... and again ... and ...

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Pepper24

Quakertown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great food, food is local,and chef is outstanding with great personality. Seafood cakes are delicous. My wife order the buffalo steak, I had never tasted buffalo before it was great. We try to go three times a year, but we go every Valentine day.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Classichj C
Telford, PA
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I went for my birthday. It was just excellent. We went during the week so it wasn't crowded, however, it's not very big so 15-20 people will make it feel really crowded. What can I say - the food is just the best and it is just a wonderful experience. Expect to pay - good local organic food costs money.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Luanne A
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A three hour food orgasm at this wonderful BYOB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

From the moment you walk in you know there is something special going on. This quaint little BYOB in the heart of Perkasie will rank in the Top 3 in Bucks county. Service was great as our waiter explained that you need to be prepared for 2 hour dining experience. Oh my ours was a 3 hour food orgasm. From the Triple Cream Goat Cheese salad to Pork Cheeks to the Braised Mussels in Saffron Sauce and then the Crab Cake. With Four wonderful friends and plenty of good wine Maize turned us into believers We all tried a little bit of everything from the Tuna which rocked my world to the Chicken Thigh with grits with every bite we fell in love. My complements to waiter as he made the evening really great professional and with attention to detail. All I can say is bravo to Maize we will return and hopefully shortly. I want Maize on my Christmas list.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank cmpqse
Philadelphia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have lived in the Bucks County area for many years and we just found this place. It is GREAT. I love the small town feel of this place but when the food comes out it is like big time city. The Bison is outstanding and the fish is very fresh. I had the mussle app and it was one of the best apps I have ever gotten.
The service was outstanding as well. We were a large party and they were very accomodating for us. Since the place is very small you need reservations on the weekend. I would also recommend trying the 5 course tasting menu.
BYOB so make sure you bring wine or whatever you like to drink.

• Visited November 2012