“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Philadelphia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have lived in the Bucks County area for many years and we just found this place. It is GREAT. I love the small town feel of this place but when the food comes out it is like big time city. The Bison is outstanding and the fish is very fresh. I had the mussle app and it was one of the best apps I have ever gotten.
The service was outstanding as well. We were a large party and they were very accomodating for us. Since the place is very small you need reservations on the weekend. I would also recommend trying the 5 course tasting menu.
BYOB so make sure you bring wine or whatever you like to drink.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank jwumfs

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“top notch”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I cannot rave enough about this restaurant. My husband and I did the 5 course meal again and once again, we were amazed. There wasn't any wait this time around since we went on a weekday. The chef is brilliant and each dish was memorable. The dessert, chocolate/peanut butter souffle, was hands down THE PERFECT DISH. Don't take my word for it... go try it for yourself.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank TeamMcgough
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Gourmet dining!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently had dinner at Maize. The food was mouth wateringly good! The restaurant uses food and produce from local farms. My husband and I went with another couple. The guys had the Bison, my friend had the crapcakes and I had Grouper. We were all very happy with our meal. The Grouper was made with an amazing sauce. It was the best fish I have had. Three of us had pumpkin soup for appetizer and I had a delicious salad with spring mix and feta cheese. The deserts were very good also. They have an amazing olive oil ice cream. The kitchen is open to the dining area so you can watch the chefs preparing the gourmet meal. Every course is spaced out nicely you can have a leasurely dinner. The pricing is a little expensive but well worth the taste and presentation of the food. Our waiter was wonderful as well as the chefs Make sure to call for reservations because the seating is limited. I highly recommend everyone have dinner here, for the wonderful experience you will have.

1 Thank Lynne W
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
“Truly the Best in the area..”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Living in this area, we find it extremely hard to find a truly amazing restaurant. But, we have now found one. Maize is an extraordinary experience in food. Made fresh and to order is why it does take a very long time for courses to come out. But, well worth the wait. My husband said it was probably the best meal he's ever had eating out. Although extremely tiny place, we were greeted warmly from the beginning, with traditional popcorn, then homemade biscuits, even before your dinner experience starts. BYOB is always a good thing, and they take your bottle, and serve you.
We will back for sure!

1 Thank angelmare
PA
“Growing pains”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

First, let me say that the food was very, very good. Also, the service was quite affable. They opened our wine immediately and kept both wine and water coming. The bison was to die for, as was the duck. Appetizers were sublime. We skipped dessert, so can't comment on that. Having said this, they need better pacing. Although there did not seem to be any wasted time in the kitchen when we were watching the preparation, 2 1/2 - 3 hours is far too long for two courses. I ate at the 3 Michelin star Alinea in Chicago and they did a 22 course meal in 3 hours. So something is not working here. Again, everyone seemed to be working very hard, but 2 courses should not take that long, especially since we are not talking about exquisitely elaborate preparation here.
Also, it was very loud. The restaurant itself is very small and between the noise from the kitchen and the noise from tables that were too close together, one could not have a conversation.
Maize has potential and I gave it 4 stars for the food. But they have room to grow.

1 Thank wandaMPa