“Orange goop”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Palmyra
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Orange goop”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm very confused by the preponderance of glowing reviews here. My fiancee and I had a terrible time at this motel. For starters, the light in our room let off this dim, creepy glow while it was heating up, and the staff's idea of a "wakeup call" is to send someone to bang loudly on the door at 7:30 in the morning and yell at us to check out by 11. But the nastiest thing was when my fiancee turned on the shower and was accosted by a flying blob of mysterious orange-ish goop.

I'm not a picky person, and I'm almost always willing to put up with inconvenience if the price is right. But I draw the line at unknown scummy substances coming out of the shower. There are much more tolerable budget motels in the area for about the same price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We chose to stay at Americas best value inn located just minutes from Hershey Park to rest after being at the park all day. We were heading to Canada/Niagra Falls the next day and needed something clean and near the park. After being overwhelmed with the crowds at the park, it was nice to have a short drive away from the crowds and just relax in small town and use the pool. Our kids, 8 &10 loved the pool (only ones in it) and after a pizza near by, we had a comfortable nights rest. In the morning they offer light breakfast in the office area, although there was no place to sit and enjoy our pastries and cereal...we took them back to our room. The rooms are dated and bathrooms small (and clean). It was nice to get away from the masses and have a personal experience at ABVI in Palmayra, Pa. We'll certainly include this as stop over when heading North again. The front staff (owner?) was very polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2012

It was a great little motel and the price was right!!!! I'm pretty picky and I need the places I stay to be super clean. This place was. It's not fancy but for a over night to Hershey it was perfect. I went down on a girls quick weekend and we had plans to hit up the Hershey Spa, have a great dinner out and hit up the outlet malls on the way home. I looked into other hotels in the area and they were all WAY OVER PRICED! I booked and was a tad bit nervous but it tuned out great. The beds are basic and CLEAN, the bathrooms were spotless and in the morning I went to just get a cup of joe and ended up with a good basic breakfast ( which was better then what I eat at home) with Juice, coffee, toast and bandanna (there was also pre-packaged pastry, other fruit or cereal if that's your thing). We drove less then 10 min. to the Hershey Park and spa. The money I saved in staying at this hotel vs. others in the was actually like going to the spa for FREE!! I didn't go in the pool (no time) but I did take a peek at it and it was very clean and looked Great.

It's not a resort but it's a great little motel to get some sleep and then head out to Hearshy or wherever you are going to play. I plan on going back this fall with my husband. Best little motel around. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pontoon Beach, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2012

While Visiting Hershey With My Family We Stayed At Americas Best Value Inn Palmyra. this motel Was Very clean and have everything we needed for our stay. The room was Large & Very clean. all we need is a clean room & a comfortable bed and that's what we had. We will not be spending much time in the room.They had a nice Continental Breakfast which we had enough.The pool was very clean & inviting. The rate was reasonable for that kind of stay fortunately. Because it's peak season for the attractions at Hershey all the motel and hotel rates are outlandish. The desk clerk was extremely friendly and helpful. She responded to a special request very quickly. I would definitely recommend this motel.

New Berlin
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Nothing fancy, but just right for us. We were really happy with our stay. The hotel was super clean and had everything we needed-most importantly, a great price. The room was larger than most and even had a sofa bed. The mattresses and pillows were surprisingly nice and the room had a small fridge and microwave. The pool was clean and located in the back of the hotel which is much nicer than in the front next to the street. The free breakfast could have been better but is the same as all other continental breakfasts we've tried in this price range. The managers and housekeeping staff were very pleasant too.
I feel like I need to mention again how imaculate this property is, inside and outside. I was really impressed with how well kept everything was. Our bathroom did have a funky smell the first day but it wasn't for lack of being cleaned. We will stop searching for another hotel when we make our annual Hershey trip. We loved this hotel and were happy to spend the week there. I would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 125 which is to the right of the office. The pool is located on that side and this...
Iowa
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Although it was clean and had a very basic but adequate breakfast, I cannot recommend this hotel. Our room had two beds and both were horribly uncomfortable - old, worn out mattresses and really hard pillows (beyond firm).

Room Tip: Ask for a different room if you get one with uncomfortable beds.
indianapolis, in
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. We booked two nights through Hotwire. When we arrived at the hotel, we discovered that every room (we checked several) had a horrible smell. We asked for a refund, but they said we had to contact Hotwire. Hotwire said that they couldn't give us a refund without the permission of the manager, who of course couldn't be reached. Back and forth it went from hotel to Hotwire multiple times. Finally we were told that if we stayed one night and wanted a refund for the second night that we would receive it. We agreed. In addition to the smell, we found live bugs in the bed, and the audio didn't work on half the TV channels. We left after one night, but we never received the promised refund. We contacted the hotel, and again they said we had to call Hotwire. Hotwire called the hotel, and they lied about promising a refund for the second night. Hotwire says there is nothing they can do. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL EVER!!!! If you have made reservations, cancel them immediately.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Allen K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmyra
Travelodge Hershey
Comfort Inn at the Park
Comfort Inn at the Park
#10 of 25 in Hershey
Cocoa Country Inn at Hershey

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Palmyra/Hershey? Share your experiences!