“Avoid like the plague”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Palmyra
San Diego, California
“Avoid like the plague”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

At 11:00 am the clerk called my room to tell me it was check out time. I told her I had lost track of the time and would be checking out shortly, and asked for an extra hr. She told me if I didn't check out within 5 minutes I would be charged extra. I told her I never had experienced that before and she replied if didn't pay the extra $10 she would call the police. I told her to go ahead. Within a minute the male Manager banged loudly, certainly not a knock, on my door and told me to leave that moment or he was calling the police. I told him to go ahead. Note, I had prepaid for my 2 nights so there were no outstanding charges, and I'm a Wyndham Rewards member. As I got out of the shower the police knocked on my door. I explained what was happening and I was leaving within a few minutes. He wished me a good day and left. I was in my car and out of the parking lot at 11:33. The people in charge that day are clearly mad and have no reason to be in the hospitality business.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank PRgolfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I knew going into this stay that some pretty nasty things had been said about this hotel but decided to go for the great value and try it once. Not again. We're all about cheap hotels since we spend most of our time at the pool or in this case, Hershey Park but the line gets drawn when the place isn't clean.
The manager was very friendly and agreed to move us to another part of the hotel quickly to be next to a friend of ours. Upon entering the room, there was a funky smell but everything seemed to be clean. The bathroom was very clean too. The main problem of why we won't stay again was the ant problem. They weren't everywhere but just seeing a few here and there was too much for us. Hopefully this was just a problem with our room but you never know. The other downfall worth mentioning is the skimpy free breakfast. It's very very small and in the picture it looks like there is some selection but there really isn't. You will need to do something else for breakfast. Overall, you get what you pay for but this was just too cheap and really put a damper on our vacation. One last thing...the pool was great.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 4blessings
Mount Airy, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We are not that fussy, trust me. And I rarely go to the trouble of writing a review, especially given how nice and helpful the staff was.

But the truth is there was a lot wrong with this hotel. First off Palymra is a dump, I would strongly suggest you stay at the many equally priced motels in Hershey. Second the heat never came on, we were forced to use a space heater that made us nervous, those things are dangerous if left on all night. Twice, at 3 AM and then again at 5:30 pipes or forced air or whatever woke us up, sounded like a train was coming through the room (#210). In addition the ice machine does not work until it's over 65 degrees outside. The guy at the desk was nice enough to give us some ice from his personal trays but still. The continental breakfast looked like it was cerial, maybe some waffle type of machine. No danish or fruit to be seen.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveinMD

Travelers are raving about these Palmyra hotels

Wellington NZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

If it weren't for the strong, horrible musty smell I guess it would have been alright. But my god I have never smelt anything like it in my life. Mustiest smell ever. Rooms were simple and I suppose clean but the smell had me doubting the cleanliness and not wanting to trust any surfaces. Sat outside until I had to go in to sleep. Then hoped I'd get used to it and be able to sleep. I did. However, don't do it, don't stay here. There must be somewhere better in town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank JudithWellingtonNZ
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

I booked 2 rooms at this motel a month before our travel date. The manager himself quoted me $69 per night per room. The rate magically increased to $79.99 per night when we arrived, and the manager was "not available" to speak with. We were advised to take it or leave it. That's a 14% increase.

Both rooms were supposed to be non-smoking. The one non-smoking room was so full of smoke upon entering, that it burned our eyes. We tried to get the office to exchange it for a true non-smoking room, but they refused, and simply yelled at us. Totally unprofessional.

The other room looked beautiful, but sat directly on the main road with huge trucks rumbling by.

They did give us our money back, and we went elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Xanadu212
VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

We booked this in May for a local lacrosse tournament in July 2009, before some of the most recent awful reviews were posted. Based upon those reviews we were expecting the worst, but it was too late to re-book anything else. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room was fine - very clean. Looked like it had been updated recently - re painted, newer furniture, new bathroom counters, and small relatively new refrigerator in room. A/C worked great, no unusual smells. Small pool out front was perfect for kids. Hotel is very bare, nothing fancy. If you are just looking for a place to sleep - this will due. It may depend upon what room your are assigned ... so recommend you check out your room first.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Effingham, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

I had booked two rooms for a 2-star motel and I only got to pick the area (not the actual property). I had to pay up front $146 for two rooms (including tax). When we arrived and checked in we were given keys and checked out the rooms. We couldn't get over the smell in the rooms (old & musty). We refused to stay in the rooms because they didn't meet our quality expectations (all we needed were two upscale economy rooms). If it wasn't for the smell, we probably would have stayed even though we were upset with the conditions promised to us (two stars).
This motel has a few rooms being added on to the end which may be nice but weren't completed yet. The rest of the motel is dated to the pre-interstate system and looks like a 1950's type roadside motel that would have been lower than my families standards back in the early 1970's when I travelled as a child with my family. It is not up to the standards of ANY of the chain motels/hotels in this country. The manager at the motel and the reservation service we used would not refund our money so this is just a wake-up call to anyone willing to accept a rating system for a unknown motel...buyer beware!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank KWHEFIL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmyra
Americas Best Value Inn Palmyra/Hershey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Comfort Inn at the Park
Comfort Inn at the Park
#9 of 25 in Hershey

Been to Knights Inn Palmyra/Hershey? Share your experiences!