“Probably the best in the Poconos” 5 of 5 bubbles

Blue Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Palmerton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Year round Family Friendly Outdoor Adventure. Nestled in the Pocono Mountains, Blue Mountain Resort is just a short day trip from several major cities including New York City and Philadelphia. Come check out all the fun!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Escazu, Costa Rica
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Probably the best in the Poconos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

After having a slightly stressful first time skiing at Camelback Mountain, my second day of skiing was at Blue Mountain.

I only knew two resorts in the area, but this is probably the best of them all. Though the only drawback is its remote location (middle of nowhere, actually), I felt service to be better and overall, the trails smoother (not icy at all). Starting from the top of the mountain was also a bonus.

I purchased the 'lesson' ticket. So, after realizing that my skiing was not as bad as I thought, I found out that my ticket only gave access to one lift. To my chagrin, that meant that the nice green 'Burma Road' trail was not in the package. Too bad.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Great place to take your kids to learn to ski”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a great ski resort its large enough to have varied terrain and small enough that you do not get lost. The staff is very welcoming and they make you feel at home.

Visited December 2012
Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best in Poconos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I ski a lot. I learned how 20 years ago at Blue Mountain. My four kids all learned how to ski there, two of them went on to be instructors in their Explorer program for children. Nice long trails, good snowmaking, as long as you account for the challenging mid-Atlantic weather. I love the place.

I am FURIOUS with the new owners, however...

Since I am a local, I don't need to dedicate a whole weekend to ski, not even a whole day. And with four kids... It gets expensive. For the last twenty years, I would get my kids up early, O Dark 30 early and ski Sunday morning and leave before the crowds... And be home in time for chores, football, Sunday dinner, homework... All that... It was awesome and for 35 dollars or so for a morning ticket, reasonably affordable, even with 3 or 4 of my kids in tow... They took that away... Now I will have to buy an all day ticket for each of them at 60 dollars a piece... So what was about 130 dollars for a morning of awesome family skiing... Expensive, but I never regretted it... Tomorrow I want to ski with them, now I will have to cough up 240-300 dollars and we will still have to leave by noon....

Shame on you Blue Mountain... I don't think I can afford that very often... If at all... I guess you aren't interested in showing the same loyalty to the locals that we have shown you....

5 Thank Mark P
Wayne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Blue Mountain's Paradise Run...More Like Hell Run”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been skiing for 30 years. I like Blue Mountain...but only for intermediates and above. If you have a beginner, do not take them outside the green runs near the lodge at the top of the mountain.

Yesterday was my second trip to Blue Mountain with my three beginner family members. Given that they all know how to turn and stop, it was suggested by the instruction staff that we go to the "speed controlled", "safe for beginner" Paradise Run.

If you have beginner skiers DO NOT GO ON THIS RUN.

I got taken out twice....in two different locations...when I was standing still...on the side of the trail...in a wide place. My wife gotten taken out once, also while standing still, on the side of the trail. There were three other near collisions or bail outs on the same run.

On the second take down I guess it was the 12 instructors standing having a conference that caused the guy to prove that he had no idea what he was doing and crash into us.

And what did Blue Mountain's 12 employees in their employee and ski partol jackets do. Nothing.

So dissapointing.

It was a relatively empty day on the mountain. Blue Mountain, you have no excuse. Your people did nothing to protect us or the other couple of people we saw taken down. It was mostly borders running rampant but not all. I wonder what your insurance company will say when they find out that borders and skiers are out of control on a slope where you promise to monitor speeds and protect the beginner yet have no one proactively doing anything.

5 Thank James R
New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Still one of the best in PA, with some caveats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is my second review of Blue Mountain, updated for 2013. Blue gets good marks for terrain, snowmaking and grooming. The staff is generally friendly and helpful. The downside of Blue is they keep ratcheting up prices, eliminating discounts and that it can get very crowded on the weekends or holidays.

As far as terrain, Blue has something for everyone. There is good beginner terrain, intermediates will like Lazy Mile or Paradise. Expert skiers will like the steepness of Challenge or Razor's edge. You can find some bumps on Nightmare and Upper and Lower Main Street. There is a terrain park, they usually offer NASTAR and there is a good skier and boarder-cross trail. If you're a pure beginner, you might be happier at Shawnee, where there is probably more selection of top to bottom green runs. I have skied most of the Eastern PA resorts, and I would rate Blue and Elk highest for difficulty in PA.

Also on the plus side are some amenities at Blue, such as the slopeside patio area with outdoor bar, full service ski shop and free ski/board check. The Summit lodge is nicer than the base lodge, and has a few different dining options. Food is pricey and don't expect gourmet food. There is free wireless internet in the lodge (actually works) and they usually have open outlets you can use. One thing I don't like at Blue is all the people smoking. They tend to congregate right outside the doors of the lodge, on the patio and in the lift lines. Not sure what the mountain can do about smoking. Maybe create a designated smoking area so that those going in and out of the lodge don't have to walk through a cloud of smoke.

Blue has gotten pricey, with $60 tickets on the weekends, and I think a night ticket has gone from $30 to $35 this year. Also gone is the ski club discount on Thursday night that would have saved $10 off the ticket price. Blue has to consider the locals, who support the mountain mid week and evenings. They should offer more 1/2 day, mid week and night discounts for those who live nearby. If you've seen the surrounding area, its far from Beverly Hills, so give the locals a break!

As far as crowds, all the local areas will be busy on a holiday weekend. If you don't like lines, then avoid those times. Otherwise, get there early, take an early lunch and ski when others are taking lunch. Also, the best conditions will be first thing in the morning, as the mountain will tend to get skied off and icy later in the day and at night. I have seen ski Patrols checking for out of control skiers, they need to do this more, as I did see some riders and skiers going way too fast.

Blue features two high speed chairs (a quad and six person) which get you up the 1000 ft vertical very quickly. The rest of the chairs are outdated slow fixed grip double chairs. Snowmaking capacity is excellent and they do their best to get trails open early in the season. One thing I've had issues with is the e-tickets. The past 2 times I visited I went to recharge them and the desk had a hard time getting it to work.

Visited December 2012