“Fabulous ice cream, wonderful ingredients”
Review of Owowcow Creamery

Owowcow Creamery
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Ottsville
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I now live in Seattle, but I'm from PA, not far from where Owowcow is located. When I first went back to PA to visit my parents, with my son, I was frustrated with the availability of organic foods in the area. It was summer, and I was in the mood for ice cream - I'm spoiled in Seattle, we have several good ice cream places that use local, organic, in season ingredients.

On a whim, I searched for "organic ice cream" on Yelp and this place came up. My parents mentioned having gone a couple times and liking it, so I went. That was last year - my son now asks for it by name and every time we say we're going to visit Grandmom & Grandpop, we all get excited to get to Owowcow.

Firstly - as I said, we have some good ice cream places in here Seattle, but getting ice cream in PA... well, ice cream around PA Dutch country is much different. Heavier (in a good way), more substantial, and creamier than anything out here in Seattle.

The staff has always been warm & friendly. The shop itself is adorable (even if the parking lot is a pain in the butt.) Now let's talk about the ice cream... I REALLY love any place that lists the sources of their ingredients. I love that this place supports local producers, the ingredients are organic when possible, and they do seasonal flavors. My Dad, a berry fanatic, loved the garden berry ice cream - chock full of berries. The "I Hate Chocolate" is not to be missed (I read that they start this recipe with chocolate GANACHE. This is a very dark, rich, deep flavored chocolate.) I'm a mint-fan - every time I eat the mint chocolate chip, I find little bits of green mint leaf here and there. GREAT mint flavor. The mint chocolate cookie... YUM. My son loves the coconut ice cream. And on and on... Worth mentioning - I just don't really like banana-anything, but my Mom gets the banana caramel and even *I* would consider eating an entire dish of this stuff. It's amazing. The butter pecan - they toast the pecans first (or at least it tasted like it!). Best pecan ice cream I've EVER had. AND, I've even been inspired to get plain vanilla from time to time because they offer THREE different types of vanilla, all subtly different but wonderful. I've been here many, many times over the last year. I would love to be out in PA over my birthday one of these years because I want one of their cakes.

I NEVER EVER EVER do NOT get their home made hot fudge on whatever flavor I get. (I even asked to buy a little dish of it to take home, once.) I am also strangely addicted to their toasted coconut topping. WHIPPED CREAM!! They make their own!!

I still consider myself a "local" so I love supporting local farms & business. For out of towners - this is a great way to get a taste of local PA farm flavor.

BONUS: I am a dairy fiend far beyond ice cream. I often get coffee here just for the creamer. They keep a container of half & half in the fridge for people who get coffee - the literally fill the container half with milk, and half with delicious, thick, heavy cream. I just love it. Other local products they feature have also been wonderful - cookies from local bakeries, honey, etc. I adore this place. Check it out.

1  Thank Nikki H

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Amazing, small batch, organic ice cream. Tons of flavors to choose from and about as good as it gets. They certainly deserved their Best of Philly award!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a small mom and pop kind of place. This ice cream is made daily, and is the most delicious. Flavors vary from chocolate to cherry vanilla. Love it! Very $$$, but worth it.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Excellent, small batch, fresh ice cream. Always crowded because it's so good. Expect to pay premium prices for premium product.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

oWowCow Creamery creates fantastic ice-cream. "Wow" is what you keep saying with each lick/bite of this delectable ice-cream. Sooooooo good. Best part is this quality ice-cream is made with local cream, honey, cage free eggs, fruits and berries. Support local / real ingredients. Creative flavors change and there is always a wonderful variety to choose from. I went with 2 scoops: blueberry lemon and lemon ginger: "Wow".