“If you don't want pizza, don't bother”

Arcaro & Genell's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Old Forge
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had not been here in a few years, so we thought we would try it again. My husband and I both had the seafood bisque which was the best part of the meal. For my entree, I had the roasted porketta. It was dry, chewy, and tasteless. Thank goodness they poured some juice over it or I would not have been able to eat it at all. It was accompanied by completely unseasoned potatoes and vegetables. My husband had their special, veal osso bucco. We both love osso bucco which which should be tender, juicy, and fall off the bone succulent. This was also dry and chewy, despite the mountain of sauce it was served in. Everyone around us was eating pizza so I'll assume that's still good. Although I did order a takeout tray of their double-crust white last month and when I got it home, I was really sad to find the crust burned and the top saturated with garlic powder and when we ate it, it was just not good. So sad because we used to eat here a lot years ago and it was always so good.
I do have one good thing to say - the service was excellent. Unfortunately, fast bad food is still bad food so we won't be back.

3  Thank BusyTraveler99
There are newer reviews for Arcaro & Genell's Restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The worst service experience ever. Over an hour wait for a pizza during the afternoon. To add insult to injury waited 15 minutes after we paid the bill for a take home order only to have it be the wrong order when we arrived home. If you like so-so food, delivered with an attitude and wait forever for it, then A&G is the place for you.

4  Thank joecerra
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Try the white pizza. It is not for everyone, but I have been going here since a kid, and this place remains special. The red is great too, but the white pizza makes this place stand out. The other dishes are great as well, but it is hard to go to Arcaro & Gennell's and not order pizza! I do think the food is a bit pricey relative to the area, but they have a special product so it warrants premium pricing.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you have never heard of or visited Old Forge PA you are missing this special pizza. The pizza is different and it is the rectangular stye the Old Forge Pizza places have in common. What they do not have in common is the cheeses, the sauce, the toppings. We have traveled to many of the various restaurants Some of these treasures have disappeared for the addition of a CVS or other changes that have intruded our communities. The area is an old mining area in the outskirts of Scranton and Wilkes Barre. Do not look for the flash of times square. It is what it is and what it should be. Arcaro & Genell's has great pizza, white or red. A great food.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I felt like I was in an old gangster hangout. Awesome! The pictures on the walls and seasoned waitresses along with the roaming magician were like a trip back in time in the best way possible. The pizza and service were exceptional. Served piping hot with RC Cola, what could be better?