“Bad equipment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laurel Highlands River Tours

Laurel Highlands River Tours
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Ohiopyle
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a fully guided or guide escorted trip down the Middle, Lower or Upper Youghiogheny or Cheat rivers. Family float trips to wild whitewater. Located in the heart of scenic Ohiopyle Pa. Bike rentals, rock climbing, hikings, and kayak clinics. Lodging packages available.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Bad equipment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I went on a lower yough guided tour and was not impressed. When I did fall out, my helmet strap, which was buckled and tightended, just fell off because the strap broke. when I complained to the guide that this compromised my safety, I just got a strange look and there was no follow up. I feel the equipment is old and outdated and unsafe.

Visited August 2013
LHRT, Manager at Laurel Highlands River Tours, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Hello GuGirl02,
Thank you for taking the time to write and for bringing this issue to our attention.

Safety is of utmost importance to our management team and I have brought this issue to our River and Equipment Managers myself. They asked what day and time you rafted so that they could be sure to address this situation with our guides and check out all the helmets but I noticed that you rafted with us some time ago. Is there any chance that you remember the date and time that you rafted? Any additional information that you can give us will help us to investigate this issue.

I also wanted to mention that we did replace ALL of our Lower Yough Guided Tour PFD’s (life jackets) this year and we will be doing a full inventory of our current helmets to find any that may need to be replaced. These items are inspected regularly and I am sorry to hear that your helmet strap broke. I hope that you enjoyed your trip up until that point!

Thank you again for writing. Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met during their trip. We do hope to see you again in the future and you can reach me directly at kate@laurelhighlands.com if I can be of any assistance.

Baltimore, Maryland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great experience on the premium guided rafting tour of the lower Youghiogheny river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Our group of 7 had an excellent experience on the premium guided rafting tour of the lower Youghiogheny River, with Charles and Stan. Half of our group had never gone white water rafting before, but we all had a great time, and would love to go again!

We were put at ease with Charles and Stan as our guides, and easily navigated through the rapids. If you are new to rafting, but want some excitement, this portion of the river is a great choice. There are some rapids along the tour where it's somewhat common for people to fall out of the raft, but it definitely seemed to be less likely for the rafts that had guides in them (nobody in our group fell out of the raft the whole trip).

One of the best parts about the premium guided tour is that we didn't have to stay with the larger group of rafts. This allowed us to enjoy a little more solitude on the river, and we could stick to our own schedule. We had an opportunity to swim down a section of the rapids where it's safe to do so, and there was a place where we stopped to jump into the water from a 20 ft rock.

On the private bus ride back to the parking lot, we also had a chance to stop off to see the Cucumber falls.

Visited June 2014
Akron, Ohio
“Safety First”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Emailed and wrote the owner but he never replied to my concerns so I'm letting others know. here is a bit of what I sent him.
...there was not adequate water supplied to the trip and both me and my son went without ANY water for the entire trip!
As you know asking people to do work in the sun and heat for hours with no means to hydrate is a risky in the outdoors where help is not just a few minutes away. This lack of minimal detail and follow through was dangerous and completely unacceptable under any circumstance.
Overall we had fun, but I must be honest and let you know would need to strongly consider putting my family at risk with your company in the future on another trip.

Visited May 2014
LHRT, Manager at Laurel Highlands River Tours, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hi there David,
I have looked into your issue with our company and I spoke with the owners and management, and we have replied to you via email twice. I am sorry that we haven't connected with you yet. I agree with you, four or five hours on the river would be too long to go without water. It is standard for us to have drinks (water and either lemonade or iced tea) during the lunch break on the river and if there wasn't any available for you, I do sincerely apologize. This is not a common issue. We will be following up with the company that provides the lunches to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We also offer complimentary cold water and granola bars at the check-in booth at the end of the day, and I hope you were able to enjoy those.

Thank you for helping us to improve on our services, as we do strive to give every guest the very best outdoor adventure experience possible! Please contact me if I can be of assistance: kate@laurelhighlands.com

Have a great summer!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Perfect Day of the River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

As older first-time rafters, we had no idea what to expect. Happily, we were more than pleased with the experience. Our guide was knowledgeable and experienced. There were not enough people (3 minimum) to do the premium guided tour- as we would have preferred- but the guided tour was very nice.

Wanting more of a gentle sight-seeing experience than a white-water adventure, we chose the Middle Yough Tour. We saw deer, (mom and a fawn) a turkey vulture, and Canadian geese. Lunch was provided- which was merely OK- but since the premium package wasn't available, we had no complaints about the simple sandwich fare provided.

If you are taking this tour, a few notes: 1) Plan to do a little ankle-deep wading. Bring closed shoes and have a dry pair of socks/shoes in reserve after the tour. 2) You WILL be paddling. 3) Remember to bring or purcahse sunscreen. 4) There is a bit of a hike from the landing site back to the tour center. Not too far- but if you have any mobility issues, you might want to have someone in your party retrieve your vehicle and pick you up.

I would highly recommend Laurel Highlands River Tours!

The river was extremely calm on the day we went... and there was more paddling than I might have liked... but it was easy and fun. What a great way to spend the day.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank BonnieInPA
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Stayed in one of the guest houses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Laurel Highlands owns 3 guest houses in Ohiopyle, and four of us stayed in the Laurel Guest House.You book a room, so we could have had strangers sharing the house with us (individual bedrooms have locks). Clean, nice common area, with TV etc. You aren't supposed to cook unless you book the whole house. Bike-friendly. We came here after a night in Dawson where we paid just a bit less, and this was far nicer, far better value. You don't need to book a rafting trip to book a room in a guest house.

Visited May 2014