“This is what rafting should be!”

Laurel Highlands River Tours & Outdoor Center
Ranked #5 of 6 things to do in Ohiopyle
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a fully guided or guide escorted trip down the Middle, Lower or Upper Youghiogheny or Cheat rivers. Family float trips to wild whitewater. Located in the heart of scenic Ohiopyle Pa. Bike rentals, rock climbing, hikings, and kayak clinics. Lodging and camping packages are also available.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

On Friday June 28 I went rafting on the UPPER YOUGH with Laurel Highlands River Tours. Garth was my guide! He is an absolute professional who has guided these rivers for 16 years and knows how to have fun and be safe! I have rafted about 5 times and while I always have enjoyed it, there have been many trips when I was relatively bored. The Upper Yough is not boring!

The Upper Yough tour is 10.5 miles in length and for about 8.5 of them, you are almost consistently in class 4-5 rapids! It is one of the steepest sections of river in the area and is the most fun I have ever had rafting. There are exciting rapids to jump in and ones where you absolutely would not want to be out of your boat!

Go to LHRTs and see Garth and you will not be disappointed!!

1  Thank climberbloke
"main guide"
in 5 reviews
"school bus"
in 2 reviews
"makes all the difference"
"companies offering"
"person raft"
"lead guide"
"knew how"

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I took my daughter on the Middle Yough trip because she's just a little too young for the Lower Yough (minimum age 12). The Middle Yough has a few class II rapids but is mostly flat water.

It's a long trip - 5 hours on the water - and you need to be in some sort of reasonable physical condition. First you have to carry the raft down to the river, then five hours of paddling, carry the raft back up a steep slope, and walk half a mile back to the visitor center. There were only two guys in my raft (along with some kids) so we did most of the carrying and paddling.

The river itself and the scenery is beautiful. Despite the physical exertion, I highly recommend the trip (and hopefully you'll have a few more people to split the workload). They provide a decent lunch of deli sandwiches, cookies, and fruit about halfway.

I would have given them five stars but I thought they were a little disorganized and could have used some more guides on the trip (for better organization and safety). There were four guides for 12 rafts, four duckies, and over 60 people, but two of the guides were there primarily to haul the food for our lunch. So that meant only two guides looking after all those people. One was supposed to be at the front, with the other bringing up the rear to help stragglers. Because of different skills levels, the group got so spread out that I couldn't see the lead guide or the rear guide for almost the entire trip. I've been on other "guide escorted" raft trips where there was one in front, one in the rear, plus a guide stationed at every set of rapids in case someone got in trouble. This is a pretty tame part of the river, but I still think they should have more staff, especially to help out the beginners.

2  Thank Jim P
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our family just got back from a white water rafting trip in Ohiopyle. We wanted to go in the spring because the water is fast. We were not disappointed! Our tour was one without a guide in the boat, and I would only recommend this for people who have been before. When they say it is for 12 and above, they aren't kidding. Several people in our group tipped over and had to hauled out of the 48 degree water. Some had wetsuits, so they were a little cold. Those who did not were miserable. The guides along the way do a good job of telling you what to do to get through the rapids, but like I said, it helps to have experience. The guides were helpful, fun and safety conscious. I would love to go again. If you had a guide in the boat, it would be a much easier experience. I did think the CD's with pictures they took of our boat were too expensive at $40.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Check in process was ok. They are not the friendliest of people behind the counter. We can live with that since we didn't spend too much time with them. The bus ride to the launch area was more exciting than the raft trip. It was like we were in a fast and furious movie for busses. Scary. The raft trip was ok but the guides were horrible. They were boring, unprofessional and unfriendly. In fact, the guy actually called a woman in the group we were rafting with an idiot. I was shocked. Guides can make or break a rafting trip and unfortunately, these guides are not good. I would definitely go rafting again, just not with this tour company.

1  Thank 6Hotellover9