“Hidden Gem”

The Mighty Oak Barrel
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Oakmont
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We consider our restaurant to be a seasonal restaurant with the menu changing with every season.We hang our hat on a Seasonal.Fresh.Local theme and enjoy incorporating all Fresh, Seasonal and as much Local flair as we can on our menu.We also run three appetizer and three entree specials every evening as well as seasonal martini's.We have a very good and fair wines by the glass program which also changes with the seasons. It's where the locals eat....
Pittsburgh PA
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I say hidden gem because if we weren't given this restaurant as a recommendation and put it into our GPS...we wouldn't have found it. We arrived at 6pm Friday night, private parking, cute cozy appearance. We tried to make reservations but they only take reservations for 6 or more, but we had no problem getting the table we wanted. The bar was full of locals, the baseball game was on the TV and everyone looked like they were having a great time. We ordered a bottle of Cabernet (all reasonably priced) they also have an extensive Martini list. Our waitress was very knowledgable (she has been a waitress there for 12 years), the menu had just changed (they change the menu 4x per year), we started with the stuffed baked potato (not the real name but same idea) it was stuffed with sauerkraut, kielbasa and a horseradish sauce and a harvest pie of sorts and both were great. Then she brought bread and whipped butter which was yummy! We ordered the filet with asparagus accompanied by a French toast underneath that was unbelievably different and the veal dish with asparagus and kale which was equally wonderful. We finished with the peanut butter pie which was the best peanut butter pie we ever ate! Dress code was kind of whatever, some people came right from work, some had jeans but overall the atmosphere was casual and homey. The service was great. The price was great $150 plus tip. So why only 4 stars...I can't believe I am actually saying this...the food was almost too fancy. The quality of the meal was fabulous, the portions fabulous but in every single dish there were tons on ingredients, herbs and flavors...I can't describe it and can't believe I am saying this but when I said something to my hubby he said it was exactly what he was thinking. I think the high quality speaks for itself and less items on the plate and just more of the actual food would be better. We will be back.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank elf.dml

Caledonia, Michigan
“Favorite of locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is an off the beaten path restaurant that it appears only the locals know about... and frequent often. The bartenders and waitresses knew everyone's name, except mine being as I was an out-of-towner. They treated me very well, however, and the wait staff and patrons were all very welcoming. The patrons I met and spoke with loved the place and were there often.

I ordered the elk and filet meatloaf and it almost had the consistency of a steak. Delicious, well-prepared, full of flavor. The roasted garlic and onion soup I had before may have been the best thing I ate the whole meal, though. Rich and tasty, I would go back simply for the soup. Their suggested wine pairings were on the mark, and they take a lot of pride in their wines.

Although I did not try it, the couple next to me ordered the burgers, which they say are amazing, and marveled about it throughout, so I will definitely have to try a burger next time I am there. I will definitely make a return stop next time I am in Eastern Pittsburgh. The food is delicious, the wines are outstanding and the atmosphere is charming and welcoming.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank hemy12
natrona heights, pa (slightly north of pittsburgh)
“One of our favorite places!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

We love the delicious seasonal menu, warm and friendly atmosphere, and great wines! We have brought many friends over the years and they have all become fans as well!

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank mayngrl
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
“Charming atmosphere, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Mighty Oak Barrel is a charming restaurant with some of the best food around. The wine selections abound and can be perfectly paired with an excellent meal. Don't miss this little gem in Oakmont.

2 Thank Catherine H
“5 Star Food in a Steelers Jersey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Someone in that kitchen is having way too much fun. Creative and delicious offerings in a sports bar setting on a quiet side street in Oakmont. What's not to love?

2 Thank andthenmakesoup