“prison camp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northumberland
Splash Magic Campground
andreas
“prison camp”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We camped on July 4 weekend and there was 8 camp sites total in our party. This campground is a beautiful campground, dont get me wrong, the pond and activities are great. I even mentioned that if I would ever have a permanent site that this is where I would have it I liked it so much. My thoughts drastically changed when I started interacting with the staff there. On Saturday we went to go on the bumper boats and the attendant was laying on a picnic table. She got up with a groan and stated she just wanted to go home and sleep, she didnt want anymore people coming. When my husband asked who we should give our passes to the girl just held out her hand like she could not be bothered. That night there was a DJ which was nice and the kids had a good time. We all went back to one of our sites to have a good time on a holiday weekend. We all work very hard and camping is our getaway time. We are not a bunch of kids or bad people. We just like to have fun when we get away together. I camp an average of 6-8 times a season and have never experienced what happened next. At about 11:10 a security guard came to the site and stated that we needed to quiet down last time he is telling us. We questioned when the first time was but got no answer. He then proceeded to sit across the road from our campsite and watch us. HOW DISTURBING!!!!! My aunts and uncles who were also there and have been camping all of their lives approached him and asked him what the problem was. He stated that the owner lived right across from the campsites above the store and didnt like to be disturbed. I can understand if it was just a random weekend but I did not expect to spend 4th of July in dead silence. On another occasion my cousin who is a teacher and clean cut as they come was told there is no foot traffic in the campground after 11 as he walked from one campsite to another 20 feet away. My question is, if you do not have a toilet in your camper how do you go to the bathroom after 11 pm? Do you need to take a bucket with you or hold it all night? Its like 11pm is lockdown at this campground. I also learned that this campground hosts a biker week. Do they have quiet time at 11 pm during that week too? I originally booked for next year my first day there but am cancelling those reservations.

6 Thank shoey31976

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pa
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Please save your money. The pool is very nice but that is where it ends. The campsite was ok it rained one day for about a half hour and we could not walt out the front of our campsite because it was nothing but mud. I have never been at a campsite with more rules and rude employees. First day we thought wow this is nice then I proceeded to go to the ice cream shop I had a small child with me I ordered a cone and then asked for a dish and was told one or the other. I thought she didn't understand that he was probably going to lose his cone at some point so I said I would pay for the dish and was told again one or the other very rude. Again me being stupid thought she didn't understand and asked again and was told you don't understand you get one or the other what do you want. Shocked at the attitude I walk away.
The next day we went to rent bikes half the bikes are broken or you get them out on the road and have a flat tire. Then we go to use the paddle boats listed on the web site sorry no paddle boats because guess what it's broken yes it only one paddle boat.
If you have small children don't take their bikes. We had 5 small children and people with golf carts and vehicles driving up and down the roads every 30 second almost hitting them. We went to play mini golf one day and were told it was closed when we went back to our camper we plenty of time to golf prior to it closeting more money wasted at this campground again. So we bought the activity pass for $13.00 and got to ride bikes one time and go on bumper boats 2 times what a waste of money
The best was you couldn’t leave your camper after 11pm for any reason so pray that you don't have to use the bathrooms or the bathhouses. The security guards will stop you and lets just say like the rest of the employees are extremely rude. On the fourth of July we decided to have a little party nothing crazy and we were told one time to quiet down and that is was the last time he was going to tell us to quit down. Then he proceeded to park his golf cart about 10 feet from the site and stare at us let me tell you I locked my camper doors that night he was weird. When we approached him and asked why he was sitting and staring at us he replied that our sites were near the permanant sites and the owners home and if we woke them up we would have to deal with them.
When I purchased our activity pass I had 6 of them and asked if they would have an envelope I could use and the looks I got from the staff you would of swore I asked for a pack of unmarked 20's the one lady replied we don't give envelopes out find something else to use.
One other thing if you let your children in the pool watch them closely because the lifeguards are not.

2 Thank tettaPa

Travelers are raving about these Northumberland hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We camped at Splash Magic over the fourth of July holiday. Our group included, myself, my husband, our son, 3; and daughters ages 8,13, and 16. We were supposed to have one of the TT sites at the campground but when we arrived they stated that the TT sites could not accommodate a pop-up, so they put us in an overflow site called EW. The map specifically says that all sites may have a pop-up and a tent on the site. The staff that accompanies you to your campsite did not even know where EW was, which by the way was directly beside the arcade and ceramics pavillion. The site was tiny to say the least and numerous people walked by saying, "That's a site?" During activities being held at the pavilion, people would just tromp right through our campsite to get to the pavilion located behind our camper. Now the activity package sounds like a great deal, but it really is not. You can only take the bikes out for an hour at a time and the mini golf and bumper boats can only be done so many times before your kids get really bored. It was nice being in close proximity to Knoebels park, but next time we will just stay at Knoebels. I would say if you are looking for a family friendly campground this is not it, go somewhere else where you and your money will be appreciated.

1 Thank travelfun75
Tuscarora
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I am writing this review in regards to the most atrocious campground that exists in Pennsylvania, Splash Magic campground, or what I like to call the Auschwitz of Pennsylvania. When you enter the campsite it strikes you as a very promising and up tempo place. However, do not be fooled this campsite will make you dread every penny that you spend their. I want to touch on two basic principles about the campsite that exasperated me which includes the overall environment, and staff.
As is stated before, the campsite may strike one as a very up temp campsite that could be fun and exciting to stay at. Let me begin with a couple of minor complaints about the site. First, when using the showers be careful because they are not cleaned out on a regular basis which was apparent when the drain in my shower was clogged with human hair. Second, make sure you take dark colored curtains to block the glaring headlights from the golf carts that the security guards drive around to all hours of the night. If you have a wide camper do not even think of going here due to the narrow roads that are throughout the campsite. These roads are also not marked properly and usually ends up in a traffic jam.
Now for my major complaints which falls under the category of how the staff treats their clients. First event, my cousin wanted to buy ice cream for her son when she asked for a cup to put the cone upside down in she got a very sarcastic and nasty response of “NO”. My cousin, thinking the lady misunderstood her, asked again for a cup and the lady replied “either or”. My little cousin was extremely upset because he wanted ice cream but, due to the rude behavior of the staff my little cousins day was ruined. The second complaint I have about the staff involves me and a very rude security guard. I decided to walk over to my aunts camper which was about 150 yards from my camper and I was stopped by a security guard on my quiet nonchalant walk over to say good night to the rest of my family. The guard asked me in an extremely rude tone of voice “Where are you going”. Now let me remind you that this was at 11:20 at night. I answered that “I was going over to my cousins camper”. The security guard responded “there is no foot traffic after 11:00 So, get up to your campsite NOW!”. I AM 24 YEARS OLD NOT A LITTLE CHILD AND I DO NOT WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A CHILD. Well I did not listen to the man and kept walking over to my aunts camper. I was then pursued by the guard who decided to practically run over me with his cart and made me divert my walk off to the side of the road. This I believe is the most wonderful example of how you will be treated by the staff at this campsite.
My family spend over 2,000$ at this site and will not return, so I beg of you to save your money and do not attend this horrid horrid campsite.

4 Thank brianf40
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I have read the reviews & can empathize with them all. However, we have been camping at this park before it was called "Splash Magic" ...it was then a "Yogi". We have NEVER had an issue with the staff, facility, equipment or activities. We are always treated very well by the people in the office & in the campground. the service staff (maint., lifeguards, activities) have all been great. We always try to include this campground when making our annual reservations for the spring/summer/fall, but we can rarely find room for the holidays at this campground as they book up.... We're going again this weekend (June 12 to 14, 2009) and we expect a great experience, as we always have in the past. When I read reviews, I often wonder why some people complain about decisions THEY make that THEY did not enjoy. As far as we're concernd, this is a great campground. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be so busy.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Four families from our camping group spent Labor Day weekend at Splash Magic in PA. Aside from the site price being to much for what you get, everything else is over priced as well. Also, they do not mind ripping off children from their allowance. On Friday you could buy a 4 day pass for the activies for $20. My 11 year old son (who saves his allowance for activites when we camp) asked at the camp store on Saturday NIGHT if there was any way to get a pass for just Sunday. The clerk at the desk said ,No, there was not any one day passes and if he wanted it he would have to pay $20. After much consideration, my son then decided that he would put the money out. He got his pass and rode a Banana bike for about 30 minutes because it was closing. The next day after Church, I was in the camp store where I heard them selling ONE DAY PASSES for the activites for $7.00!!! I talked to the clerk about it and explained the situation and asked if he could be refunded some of his money. She said, "No". I then asked to talk to the owner and he said, "Oh well". Any decent person would have realzed that the CHILD was lied to and also taken advantage of. That is sad. I guess they do not care about their guests AFTER they get their money. I also guess they do not care if people come back. The other kicker was that half of the rentals were either broken or not available. So eventhought it was unlimited, they were not available.
I should also add that the staff (aside from the people at the boat and bike rentals) were rude and miserable. I guess they treat their employees the same way they treat their guests. Maybe they are tired of being ripped off too!
There were kids all over and no rules at all, so there were kids almost getting hit by cars all over the campground, people screaming all day at eachother and they allow gas powered golf carts which the fumes made everyone gag. There is no direction signs on any of the streets, so there were many traffic jams because the streets aren't wide enough for 2 trucks to get by eachother, let alone 2 trucks with campers attached. It was a mad house. If you are looking for a safe, friendly, family campground, where you can relax and enjoy your time without getting ripped off and your children aren't taken advantage of, then look some place other than Splash Magic. There are many other campgrounds in the area where you actually get what you pay for.
THINK AGAIN BEFORE YOU CAMP HERE!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The attitude of the owner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank KMB31672
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We just returned last night from Splash Magic Campground, where I had booked a two bedroom - 6 person RV for the weekend. This place came highly recommended by my friend who takes her kids there every year for the mid-week deal. They go Monday - Friday. I decided to give it a try because Knoebel's Campground was booked and we wanted to go to that area to spend a day at Knoebels.

So - on Friday we left our home outside of Philadelphia and headed straight to Knoebel's - where we spent the entire day until 8:00pm. We then left for the 30 minute drive to Splash Magic. It was an easy drive and we got there just fine.
We checked in and made our way - carefully, as there are tons of kids around, to our RV. The RV was what we expected. We had RN11 - which was two bedrooms both with queen size beds, each room had a bathroom, a kitchenette and a tv area. The outside area had a picnic table and a charcoal grill.

The way it works at Splash Magic is you buy activity passes. $12 for a weekend pass a person. This covers mini-golf, bikes, boat rentals ?? I think I a missing something. So my family of 4 spent $48 on these activity passes for the weekend. But we weren't there Friday and we left on Sunday morning. My husband didn't use his pass AT ALL. I played mini-golf once with my boys and my oldest son rented a bike a couple of times on Saturday. We wanted to rent the surrey bike - but it was broken and the other family bike was always rented out. My youngest boy - who is 2 - couldn't really use the bikes offered. So I guess I was a little mad at myself for buying all of us passes - when I should have only bought a pass for my eldest.

The other thing that bothered me was that they had an "Old Fashioned Pig Roast" dinner on Saturday night - which was extra $. We expected something fun. What we got was a quiet dinner, buffet style - under the pavilion. No music, no anything. The food was ok - no dessert, and the only drinks served was water and ice tea. It was unclear if you could go up for seconds - we chose not to. It was very disappointing. I really wish we had used our kitchen or grill to do dinner ourselves.

Then we went to the luau party. This would have been fine - there were no drinks or food - just a band - which was fine, but my oldest child was in pain from participating in the foam party earlier by the pool - and rubbing his eyes with soap in them. He had a total meltdown and we left to calm him down. We had promised a campfire that night - so it would be a little earlier because we weren't staying at the party. However- the campfire almost didn't happen because the store was closed at 8pm. I was shocked because it was open the night before until 9pm. anyway - they let us pay for the wood - but wouldn't sell us a bag of marshmallows. I was devastated - this vacation was not what I had in mind. The marshmallows were right there on the other side of the door, the door was open, they were inside and wouldn't sell me a bag of marshmallows. I was very upset. My kids were really upset.

We ended up having our campfire and putting our kids to bed and agreeing to leave first thing Sunday morning. I wasn't going to spend another penny at this place. So that is what we did. We ended up eating at some diner on the way to Knoebels.

The RV for two nights was $300. (that includes tax)
The activity passes - $48
Breakfast - $22
Lunch - $25
"Pig Roast" - $30+?? (can't remember - have to check records)
Painting Ceramics - $12

Some good - my eldest and I did the ceramics - which he loved. It wouldn't impress you if you ever paint at a ceramics store - but for a kid it was great. The bikes were fun for my eldest. The pool was fun - but note - the kiddie splash pool is not heated so that was rough on us adults. It also tasted funny. I don't normally taste pool water - but I chased my kid under the mushroom so the water was all over my face. It was nasty. The hot-tub was not really hot - but that didn't really bother me so much. And the foam party by the pool was so much fun for my kid - I just wish he hadn't rubbed his eyes so much!

I don't know. It was my birthday this past weekend - and I had my hopes up for a great birthday and a fun time - but every time I turned around at Splash Magic - I felt like I was losing money.

My major recommendation is that if you go here - you go for a week. Get use out of that activity pass. If you go for a weekend - I wouldn't get the activity pass and I would cook my own dinners and breakfast. Lunch was nice by the pool. Also - there are plenty of other campgrounds that aren't as expensive.

• Liked — Kid Friendly, Lots of activities planned
  • Disliked — Cost, Pig Roast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank bpilko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northumberland
Hampton Inn Danville
Hampton Inn Selinsgrove / Shamokin Dam
Comfort Inn Selinsgrove
Comfort Inn Selinsgrove
#2 of 2 in Selinsgrove

Been to Splash Magic Campground? Share your experiences!