“The Little Campground That Couldn't”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northumberland
Splash Magic Campground
Tuscarora
“The Little Campground That Couldn't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

I am writing this review in regards to the most atrocious campground that exists in Pennsylvania, Splash Magic campground, or what I like to call the Auschwitz of Pennsylvania. When you enter the campsite it strikes you as a very promising and up tempo place. However, do not be fooled this campsite will make you dread every penny that you spend their. I want to touch on two basic principles about the campsite that exasperated me which includes the overall environment, and staff.
As is stated before, the campsite may strike one as a very up temp campsite that could be fun and exciting to stay at. Let me begin with a couple of minor complaints about the site. First, when using the showers be careful because they are not cleaned out on a regular basis which was apparent when the drain in my shower was clogged with human hair. Second, make sure you take dark colored curtains to block the glaring headlights from the golf carts that the security guards drive around to all hours of the night. If you have a wide camper do not even think of going here due to the narrow roads that are throughout the campsite. These roads are also not marked properly and usually ends up in a traffic jam.
Now for my major complaints which falls under the category of how the staff treats their clients. First event, my cousin wanted to buy ice cream for her son when she asked for a cup to put the cone upside down in she got a very sarcastic and nasty response of “NO”. My cousin, thinking the lady misunderstood her, asked again for a cup and the lady replied “either or”. My little cousin was extremely upset because he wanted ice cream but, due to the rude behavior of the staff my little cousins day was ruined. The second complaint I have about the staff involves me and a very rude security guard. I decided to walk over to my aunts camper which was about 150 yards from my camper and I was stopped by a security guard on my quiet nonchalant walk over to say good night to the rest of my family. The guard asked me in an extremely rude tone of voice “Where are you going”. Now let me remind you that this was at 11:20 at night. I answered that “I was going over to my cousins camper”. The security guard responded “there is no foot traffic after 11:00 So, get up to your campsite NOW!”. I AM 24 YEARS OLD NOT A LITTLE CHILD AND I DO NOT WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A CHILD. Well I did not listen to the man and kept walking over to my aunts camper. I was then pursued by the guard who decided to practically run over me with his cart and made me divert my walk off to the side of the road. This I believe is the most wonderful example of how you will be treated by the staff at this campsite.
My family spend over 2,000$ at this site and will not return, so I beg of you to save your money and do not attend this horrid horrid campsite.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank brianf40

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wilkes-Barre, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I have read the reviews & can empathize with them all. However, we have been camping at this park before it was called "Splash Magic" ...it was then a "Yogi". We have NEVER had an issue with the staff, facility, equipment or activities. We are always treated very well by the people in the office & in the campground. the service staff (maint., lifeguards, activities) have all been great. We always try to include this campground when making our annual reservations for the spring/summer/fall, but we can rarely find room for the holidays at this campground as they book up.... We're going again this weekend (June 12 to 14, 2009) and we expect a great experience, as we always have in the past. When I read reviews, I often wonder why some people complain about decisions THEY make that THEY did not enjoy. As far as we're concernd, this is a great campground. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be so busy.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

Four families from our camping group spent Labor Day weekend at Splash Magic in PA. Aside from the site price being to much for what you get, everything else is over priced as well. Also, they do not mind ripping off children from their allowance. On Friday you could buy a 4 day pass for the activies for $20. My 11 year old son (who saves his allowance for activites when we camp) asked at the camp store on Saturday NIGHT if there was any way to get a pass for just Sunday. The clerk at the desk said ,No, there was not any one day passes and if he wanted it he would have to pay $20. After much consideration, my son then decided that he would put the money out. He got his pass and rode a Banana bike for about 30 minutes because it was closing. The next day after Church, I was in the camp store where I heard them selling ONE DAY PASSES for the activites for $7.00!!! I talked to the clerk about it and explained the situation and asked if he could be refunded some of his money. She said, "No". I then asked to talk to the owner and he said, "Oh well". Any decent person would have realzed that the CHILD was lied to and also taken advantage of. That is sad. I guess they do not care about their guests AFTER they get their money. I also guess they do not care if people come back. The other kicker was that half of the rentals were either broken or not available. So eventhought it was unlimited, they were not available.
I should also add that the staff (aside from the people at the boat and bike rentals) were rude and miserable. I guess they treat their employees the same way they treat their guests. Maybe they are tired of being ripped off too!
There were kids all over and no rules at all, so there were kids almost getting hit by cars all over the campground, people screaming all day at eachother and they allow gas powered golf carts which the fumes made everyone gag. There is no direction signs on any of the streets, so there were many traffic jams because the streets aren't wide enough for 2 trucks to get by eachother, let alone 2 trucks with campers attached. It was a mad house. If you are looking for a safe, friendly, family campground, where you can relax and enjoy your time without getting ripped off and your children aren't taken advantage of, then look some place other than Splash Magic. There are many other campgrounds in the area where you actually get what you pay for.
THINK AGAIN BEFORE YOU CAMP HERE!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The attitude of the owner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank KMB31672
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

We just returned last night from Splash Magic Campground, where I had booked a two bedroom - 6 person RV for the weekend. This place came highly recommended by my friend who takes her kids there every year for the mid-week deal. They go Monday - Friday. I decided to give it a try because Knoebel's Campground was booked and we wanted to go to that area to spend a day at Knoebels.

So - on Friday we left our home outside of Philadelphia and headed straight to Knoebel's - where we spent the entire day until 8:00pm. We then left for the 30 minute drive to Splash Magic. It was an easy drive and we got there just fine.
We checked in and made our way - carefully, as there are tons of kids around, to our RV. The RV was what we expected. We had RN11 - which was two bedrooms both with queen size beds, each room had a bathroom, a kitchenette and a tv area. The outside area had a picnic table and a charcoal grill.

The way it works at Splash Magic is you buy activity passes. $12 for a weekend pass a person. This covers mini-golf, bikes, boat rentals ?? I think I a missing something. So my family of 4 spent $48 on these activity passes for the weekend. But we weren't there Friday and we left on Sunday morning. My husband didn't use his pass AT ALL. I played mini-golf once with my boys and my oldest son rented a bike a couple of times on Saturday. We wanted to rent the surrey bike - but it was broken and the other family bike was always rented out. My youngest boy - who is 2 - couldn't really use the bikes offered. So I guess I was a little mad at myself for buying all of us passes - when I should have only bought a pass for my eldest.

The other thing that bothered me was that they had an "Old Fashioned Pig Roast" dinner on Saturday night - which was extra $. We expected something fun. What we got was a quiet dinner, buffet style - under the pavilion. No music, no anything. The food was ok - no dessert, and the only drinks served was water and ice tea. It was unclear if you could go up for seconds - we chose not to. It was very disappointing. I really wish we had used our kitchen or grill to do dinner ourselves.

Then we went to the luau party. This would have been fine - there were no drinks or food - just a band - which was fine, but my oldest child was in pain from participating in the foam party earlier by the pool - and rubbing his eyes with soap in them. He had a total meltdown and we left to calm him down. We had promised a campfire that night - so it would be a little earlier because we weren't staying at the party. However- the campfire almost didn't happen because the store was closed at 8pm. I was shocked because it was open the night before until 9pm. anyway - they let us pay for the wood - but wouldn't sell us a bag of marshmallows. I was devastated - this vacation was not what I had in mind. The marshmallows were right there on the other side of the door, the door was open, they were inside and wouldn't sell me a bag of marshmallows. I was very upset. My kids were really upset.

We ended up having our campfire and putting our kids to bed and agreeing to leave first thing Sunday morning. I wasn't going to spend another penny at this place. So that is what we did. We ended up eating at some diner on the way to Knoebels.

The RV for two nights was $300. (that includes tax)
The activity passes - $48
Breakfast - $22
Lunch - $25
"Pig Roast" - $30+?? (can't remember - have to check records)
Painting Ceramics - $12

Some good - my eldest and I did the ceramics - which he loved. It wouldn't impress you if you ever paint at a ceramics store - but for a kid it was great. The bikes were fun for my eldest. The pool was fun - but note - the kiddie splash pool is not heated so that was rough on us adults. It also tasted funny. I don't normally taste pool water - but I chased my kid under the mushroom so the water was all over my face. It was nasty. The hot-tub was not really hot - but that didn't really bother me so much. And the foam party by the pool was so much fun for my kid - I just wish he hadn't rubbed his eyes so much!

I don't know. It was my birthday this past weekend - and I had my hopes up for a great birthday and a fun time - but every time I turned around at Splash Magic - I felt like I was losing money.

My major recommendation is that if you go here - you go for a week. Get use out of that activity pass. If you go for a weekend - I wouldn't get the activity pass and I would cook my own dinners and breakfast. Lunch was nice by the pool. Also - there are plenty of other campgrounds that aren't as expensive.

• Liked — Kid Friendly, Lots of activities planned
  • Disliked — Cost, Pig Roast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank bpilko
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

splash magic is a nice campground for families. Its clean and it has a lot of things to do for the kids .Like riding bikes that the campground provides but you have to pay and it has crafts for kids and adults it has golf to play also.But the must nice thing is the pools it has a big nice pool for the kids and a pool for adults and also has a jacuzzy for the adults too. The trailers and the cabins are beatiful and very clean. The only thing i did not like that there was a big family reunion and some of them kept walking in our site. other than that everything was fine . The staff is also very nice .

South Portland, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed in one of the rental "rv" units. This place is so old and abused its really ridiculous. The unit was panel with plastic mattresses and a sofa and chair that were completely stained and obviously had not been replaced in many years. The place is literally swimming with kids, riding bikes, walking, playing, riding their peddle bikes all over the place. Its white trash central. There is a pool (heated) game room, miniature golf, and snack bar. Some of the sites on the river are really nice. We stayed here while we had to take our son to college at Susquehanna University and needed to bring our dog. They accepted dogs at the "rental rv" unit. We paid $120 a night with a $30 dog cleaning fee. The night prior to that in NY we paid $79 a night at a Best Western that allowed pets with a $10 pet cleaning fee, so their fees are really out of line. Go to a Best Western, at least its somewhat updated and modern!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Hokey
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarago36
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

Camping dates: Sept 1 thru Sept 4th
Labor Day weekend - Hurricane Ernesto
Tent camping

We arrived just as the rain started. Our site was on River Road. Once we had our tents up and plugged into our electricity - the whole campground went dark. We had pouring rain and no electricity anywhere. It was off for a couple of hours.

The bathrooms were all in darkness. The store had power because they had a generator but no other public areas had power.

Once the lights came on we realized there is an extreme shortage of street lights in the campground. Once morning came, we saw the campsites which were flooded from the heavy rains the night before. Most of the sites next to the river, on River Road were big puddles (not because of the river but because of the big incline from the main road and the water run off comes into the tent area). Our cement platform was in disrepair. It was all cracked and broken up. The ground is either bare or has gravel. No grass. When it rains, expect mud

River Road isn't flat so the rain puddled up in a lot of areas and mud was everywhere. Also, bring a hose if you are tent camping and will require water cause the tap is very close to the ground.

The toilets next to the camp store (on Magic Blvd) aren't the best. They are clean - without a doubt but the showers in there just have a curtain. The better ones are next to the RV's (on Dolphin Circle). The showers are more updated with actual doors. There are two laundry rooms with washing machines and dryers. Again, I'd suggest using the ones on Dolphin Circle across from Dolphin Cove lake.

On Sunday, once the rain was gone they had a ride around the park on tractors for the kids. They also opened up the kiddie pool and the larger pool. The latter is heated. The adult pool wasn't opened up.

Breakfast was available each day for $4.50 adults and $3.50 for kids. It included pancakes, eggs, bacon, orange juice and coffee. We had it the morning we were leaving. It was good.

Ceramics prices ranged from $4 and up. We found that pricey considering there was a lack of anything else for the kids to do since it was raining on Saturday. They had a golf tournament and some carnival games ($$). One night a band played that were pretty good (Plum Crazy).
Tshirt tie dye for $4.00 and a chinese auction which had a lot of things on offer that you could find in any dollar store - most were kids toys, paper plates, utensils, paper towels, hair ties, scrub pads, ponchos, etc..

Bikes were pricey to rent. $7.50 to $12.00 an hour with a $10 deposit. Bumper boats were $4 for about 10-15 mins. They do a package special but it only applies during the week.

The camp store have a lot of groceries and cold items like milk and eggs. They sell firewood for $5 a bundle and ice.

The park needs UPDATING. It was more pricey than other parks that area of PA too. They have a "Sunshine is Guaranteed" policy which means if it rains more than 4 hours on Saturday during a weekend stay, between the hours of 9am and 9pm they'll give you a coupon good for a 20% discount off another vacation to the campground equal to the same length of stay that is good for the 2006 season. It didn't apply because the rain started at 6.30 - a half hour short of 4 hours. Even though it rained straight through till Sunday and we had no power for a couple of hours.

They offer hot coffee in the store. Get it early since they only make it in the morning but have it on offer all day.

Even with Ernesto we noticed that they didn't share any weather bulletins with us other than to say "rain" and the temperature. I'd have loved to see a weather report or satellite picture on the tv in the store but that didn't happen. We asked a few times where Ernesto was in relation to the campground - and if it was over us or passing quickly, etc.. we couldn't get any information.

Overall, we probably won't go back. They flooded out back in June 2006 from a storm and it looks like they didn't make any improvements to make sure they are prepared a second time. There were no run offs for the rain and the roads were a mess (more gravel is needed).

If you stay there I'd suggest giving a miss to the following sites:

River Road. I wouldn't tent camp on this road at all if rain is forecast. I'd avoid sites L14 & L15 cause there is a little path that runs between the two sites that has a lot of pedestrian traffic (not shown on campground map). R27 cause you get the road traffic coming down the hill and it shines straight on to your site. L10, 11 & 12 were flooded very badly and didn't have cement platforms.

Magic Blvd: Y9 was totally flooded. Y10 thru to Y18 has a lot of traffic as its the main road and across from the store/toilets.

Splash Road: B18 - right on the corner of a busy intersection - no privacy whatsoever and across from dump station. B16 & B17 basically have no privacy because you are across from pavillion, store and next to the small playground.

Dolphin Circle - the best road as its paved and the sites are very well taken care of.

6 Thank Crazy4Camping
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northumberland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Country Cupboard Inn
#3 of 8 in Lewisburg
Comfort Suites Lewisburg
Comfort Suites Lewisburg
#4 of 8 in Lewisburg

Been to Splash Magic Campground? Share your experiences!