“Perfect Mother's Day Celebration”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northumberland
Splash Magic Campground
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Perfect Mother's Day Celebration”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This year was a nice and peaceful Mother's Day for me. It was our first time at one of their cabins in Dolphin Cove area. Made friends with a few of our neighbors and enjoyed the walks and mini golf. They gave all Mother's a free breakfast on Sunday. Some craft vendors put out their wares and wevwere amazed at their handy work. It was so peaceful sitting along the waters edge and watching Canadian geese frolic around in the pond as well. Quite a few family members enjoyed the catch and release fishing offered. The cabins in Dolphin Cove have complete bathrooms with tub, master bedroom, bunk bed area, futon, nice log type table with benches, TV, microwave, gas stove, double sink, coffee maker, full size refrigerator/ freezer. All the comforts of home. The only problem we had at cabin DC6 was the fact of hot water or the lack of. It wasn't until Sunday morning that we actually was getting hot water. They sent someone over to look into it on Friday, he did what he could and we were told that it run on demand use. Not really sure what that meant. We had to go over to the one main bath house/rest room/laundry area to take our shower. The lights and hot water worked off a timer that you set when you went into your shower room. All in all we didn't let that dampen our weekend. We were saddened to hear that a few campsites up from us were having trouble with heavy drinkers from seasonal folks in the lot behind them. The people came right up through, walked around their vehicles, steps and campfire trying to provoke the people camping there. Sad to say, but those folks up from us will not be returning because of the episode, they were truly frightened by it all.
During full season when the pools are open they offer/ regular pool, adult pool, slide tubes, kids pool as well as a hot tub area. They offer crafts, and they have an entertainment tent where they have musician acts come in. They also have golf carts, paddle boats, bikes and four wheel peddlers.

Room Tip: Love the Dolpin Cove cabins because they over look the peaceful pond with water fountain. Takes some...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Camped there June 2013 in our travel trailer. My kids (10&6) loved it and still talk about it to this day. We stayed about 5 days.I felt comfortable leaving my kids wander around without adult supervision. They have 3 wheel bikes the kids can "rent" but they have to be returned every 3 hours. It didn't cost anything because we bought the extra wristband that included extras like the water slide, etc. The park was very clean and the seasonal people where very friendly because they worked there also. There was two pools. One for Adults only, and then the main one. I never felt that it was over crowded. The area and pool was very clean. Make the trip down the road to Knoebels. About a half hour away and there is free admission. Nothing fancy here but there were games for the kids and ceramics. They had movie night and candy bar bingo which was a big hit with my kids. Would definetly go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in C1 and it was a good central location from everything. The arcade and pavilliion where...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evelyn L
Phila area
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My family and I rent several cabins here next to each other each year for a long weekend. We have a great time. We are not expecting luxury, and we are not expecting a middle of the woods backpacking camping experience either. It's a fun place to go as a group or with kids, or if you want activities. It is not a place to getaway from it all. We have a tent but I am not sure I'd bother here, it's close quarters and loud at times. I don't think my daughter could sleep. The cabins are cozy and have everything you need. The Dragon Wagon is hilarious, the pool is fun. And the area is beautiful. I think if your expectations are in check, you will have a good time.

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had the time of our lives here. So many great memories were made. Love the swimming pools and especially all the activities for the entire family to enjoy. Not far from Danville, and just outside of the establishment is a wonderful restaurant and even a drive-in. The kids enjoyed the fishing and all the friends that they made with other kids there as well. Very nice campgrounds. Camping is what you put into it as well. We will be returning again. Want to try one of the lovely cabins there as well. I love taking pictures and took many wonderful ones.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda B
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is our 2nd time at Splash Magic. We rented a Dolphin Cove Country Cabin both times. My kids, ages 13 and 9, had a great time riding off on their bikes to the arcade, dirt bike area, bumper boats, etc. So did me and my husband! Overall, the cabin was perfect. It has all you need to prepare meals, including a full-size fridge, cooktop, sink and microwave. Charcoal grill right outside. Full bath. The mattresses are my only complaint, as they are very thin, foam ones, and my back was screaming for a real bed after my 4 nights on that one. But really, the air mattress I sleep on when I tent is certainly not any better! The activities were great--ceramics, foam pit, pool volleyball games, outdoor movie and candy-bar bingo. Dragon Wagon and crafts are geared toward the younger kids (5 and under). The water slides are a nice addition. However, the kids pools were painfully FREEZING!!! Thankfully, the adult pool was not, so I spent time there. I did feel bad, though, because I love spending time in the pool with my kids, but I couldn't bear to be in their pool. Although it's silly that after paying upwards of $750 for the cabin rental, there was an additional $2 plus change fee for each of us to use the amenities, it did cover our entire time there. So for about $10 my family of 4 had access to all (bumper boats, bike rentals, water slide, etc.). There is also a charge of $2 per day per device for wifi. It shouldn't cost. Didn't like that. Overall, the cabin rental was great, the activities were enjoyable, the place was clean. I did laundry on my last full day and the laundry room was very clean a d the cost was reasonable. Many of the RV sites are small, but there are some overlooking the lake that are so peaceful. The lake was wonderful- bumper boats, row boats and pedal boats were very enjoyable. My family also loved to fish and I loved watching them right from my cabin! I was sad to pack up and leave. Will definitely be back next year!

3 Thank BellaDaisy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We've been going to Splash Magic, formerly known as "Yogi on the River" on and off for over 10 years now and we've noticed a significant decline. We filled out 2-3 pre-reservation forms online over the course 2 months and tried calling several times to book a RV without a response back. Before giving up completely, randomly called on a Saturday and was "greeted" by a rude woman who was no help at all and acted as if I was bothering her. When I asked what was available the week we were interested in staying, her immediate response was, "Thursday starts bike week, no kids allowed!!" I hadn't stated whether we were bringing children or not. The conversation was very strained, confrontational and tense, NOT what I expect from a customer service standpoint. Overall, we found the staff to be very rude and obnoxious, acting as if you were bothering them to do any activity or answer any question. When inquiring about bike rental, the teenager at the bike rental couldn't be bothered to look up from her phone once to even notice she had a customer and continued to be preoccupied when any questions were asked. Fed up, we simply walked away. The lifeguards spent more time on their phones than they did watching the pool(s). Ten years ago, it didn't used to be this way. The staff were nothing but friendly, helpful and accommodating.
The pools were FILTHY, looking as if they hadn't been scrubbed in years! Their rules are a JOKE because they don't enforce them, i.e. "Adult pool" was filled with little kids. The camp office staff were clueless and rude, often overhead gossiping about campers which is obnoxious and again, poor customer service. Unless they can get their act together and turn things around, they will no longer be in business which is a shame because at one time this was a really great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank geri734
Ron B, Owner at Splash Magic Campground, responded to this review, May 1, 2016
We respond to all pre-reservations that we receive. Most times we do this by email unless you have requested us to call you. If we send an email to you, it is still not a reservation unless you confirm it and call us back. The best way to make a reservation is to call our toll free number so we can help you select the best accommodation for you and your family.

It is true that we rent our campground out to a motorcycle event and during that event which happens a couple of times a season, children are not allowed in the park. These events are advertised well in advance and appear on our website, in our brochure and on every schedule published on every web site. We are sorry that your vacation plans crossed into this sold out event.

Cell phone use is not allowed while on duty. Warnings are given to employees who use their cell phones on duty and then dismissal from their job on the next offense. Sometimes guests are confused at the pool about our lifeguards. Lifeguards are only on duty if they are sitting in the life guard chair. We always have a guard sitting in a chair. Any other lifeguards, not on duty, may be sitting at the guard table and are there to help if there is an emergency. However, while sitting at the table, they are not watching your children and are allowed to use their cell phone for personal use.

We have 2 certified pool operators on the property who monitor the swimming pool chemicals and test them 4 times per day. In addition, we have an outside testing laboratory who picks up pool water samples and reports directly to the PA Department of Health. We have copies of these reports available for anyone who wants to see them. If our pools had failed any test or were filthy, the PA Department of Health would shut our pools down. This has never happened.

We strictly enforce our policy on the adult pool. No children are allowed except at 1:00PM for the family volley ball game which usually lasts about 20 minutes. We have had this same schedule at the adult pool since 2005 when our new pool was constructed. Children are required to exit the adult pool when the volley ball game is over.

Travelers are raving about these Northumberland hotels

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Don't let your kids look around the campground unless you are willing to spend even more money than your site cost. EVERYTHING is extra! The slides, bumper boats, bikes, paddle boats, mini golf, activities! Ugg! You can get a wrist band at a cost of $10 per person per day. When you have 3 children that adds up quickly!!!

2 Thank Famoff
Ron B, Manager at Splash Magic Campground, responded to this review, April 30, 2016
Activity bands are available for $19.00 for the weekend and include all activities. If you are on a mid week package wrist bands are $10.00 for the STAY not charged per day. If you are just coming for 1 or 2 days mid week then the charge is $10.00 per day. As the owner, I think that a price of even $10.00 per day would be reasonable to be able to have UNLIMITED use of our bike rentals, bumper boat rides, paddle boats, water slide and miniature golf as much as you can do in one day. If you took 3 children to most amusement parks, themed parks or other similar facilities you would pay far more than $10.00 per person for an entire day of fun.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northumberland
Hampton Inn Selinsgrove / Shamokin Dam
Best Western Plus Country Cupboard Inn
Red Roof Inn Danville
Red Roof Inn Danville
#3 of 6 in Danville

Been to Splash Magic Campground? Share your experiences!