“maybe they had an off night”
Review of Romano's Macaroni Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We just returned from early dinner, an experience I would rate as fair. As the hostess directed us to a table in the bar, I asked to be seated in the main dining room. The restaurant was almost empty for our 6:15 pm seating but we were told there was no other seating at a 'two top' available. The bartender was also our waiter, not a problem at first but as the bar got busier (noisier as well) he was less available. We had the special 'lemonade' which was far too sweet & for $8 served in a tall thin glass filled with ice. Read, not much drink- gone in 3 sips. We had the seafood pasta ($ 18) 6 mussels, 4 large shrimp & 2 scallops in a bowl with chewy, clumped together pasta in a heavy spicy red sauce that would be better served with a hearty meatballs than seafood. Very disappointing for an italian restaurant. The BBQ steak which was very good, cooked rare as requested & very tender. The best part of the meal was the side dish with the steak, a parmesean mac cheese that was delicious! Overall it was not a good dining experience. The quality of the steak/ side is the only reason for an average rating. We won't go back anytime soon.

There are newer reviews for Romano's Macaroni Grill

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is our new favorite Italian chain. From the loaf of bread for dipping to the last bite of the entree, the food is excellent. I brought home half my entree for dinner the next day. The wine prices are not bad and at the present time, the promotion is offering a glass of wine for $2.75. I did like the location in Knoxville, TN better as far as waitstaff, though.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Yes, it is a chain, and yes it is a bit overpriced, but the food is usually good, and the staff is usually professional. I love their pork chops, and eat WAY too much of their bread!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were seated quickly at lunch time on a Sunday. We each ordered appetizers, two for $9. The Goat Cheese peppadew peppers hit every note on my palette. The Pesto Shrimp and Avocado Crostini was delicious. My husband had Spicy Ricotta meatballs and Chianti Sausage and crispy potatoes. All were tasty, well presented and ample in portion. I never would have thought to put lemon zest on meatballs, but it was excellent.
We had ordered macaroni bites and crispy artichoke potato cakes but the waitress told us that the manager would not allow them to come out because they were not prepared well enough to be served. I was slightly disappointed that we didn't get our first selection, but relieved that the manager was conscientious to make sure that only good food was served in his establishment. He also took $3 off each order, so we got four appetizers for $12.
We will definitely go back to Romano's Macaroni Grill!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would actually go back to Macaroni Grill for the bread, however the food was great, service friendly and prices reasonable. I went with my son and when we sat down we were served the most amazing rosemary bread with some oil which was incredible. Needless to say we devoured the bread , not heeding my son's warning that I would "fill up and be too full for dinner". I ordered the fried zucchini with a wonderful dip, however they were kind of greasy but good. I had a delicious Bibb and Bleu cheese salad- very good portions. My son had chicken and roasted vegetables, both good as well. All in all, a very positive eating experience and good food- will definitely come back.