“Not Thrilled”
Review of Joseph Ambler Inn

Joseph Ambler Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in North Wales
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I decided to re-visit the Inn after a wonderful New Years eve we spent in 2007 in the Thomas Wilson House. With the ecomomy the way it is...we took advantage of the Friday nite specials in the winter for an overnight stay.... Our weekend was met by a Wine dinner and Wedding that took up most of the rooms at the Inn, we had accomdation at the Coreybeck House. Our room (Queen Deluxe) was small but suitable, ihowever, it smelled musty, the bed sank in the center and pillows needed replacing as they had an odor. The bathroom floor was not swept as the surbases were littered with hair and the bath rug was matted and soiled. We tried to overlook this layed out towels and decided to enjoy the dinner, the inn offers a pre-fixe menu at times with BYOB wine (no corkage fee)...dinner was average, the Halibut meal was bland the potates with the lump crabmenat -sounded great but tasted fishy and no added flavor. Our waiter charged us for a bottle of wine that was not ordered and seemed overwhelmed for an average nite...the room was not to capacity. We went to the bar for a nite cap and went back to the room...no matches in the room for oil lamps and not hot water for the spa tub... you had to go back to the bar in order to get ice for your room...needless to say along with another couple, we checked out....I believe we will keep our memories of New Years eve 2007 but never return for a stay at the inn.....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank lindajoey1

Reviewed January 26, 2009

We ate dinner here this past weekend - a birthday celebration for my husband. This was our first experience here and I doubt we will return. The entrees were pricey and didn't live up to expectations. Food was average but nothing about the meal stood out. I will say that the service was very good - our waiter was attentive and very professional, but unfortunately he could not make up for average food with above average prices.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Montgomerygal
Reviewed November 13, 2008

As a surprise for my husband's birthday (and a treat for me!) I booked us an overnight in the Wolfe Room. The room suited us perfectly. Jetted tub, cozy stove, period furniture and wonderful privacy. Dinner was very nice as well as very pricey.
Then came breakfast.
It was December 24th and we were told there would only be a limited breakfast available due to the holiday. Gee we didn't get any room $$ reduction due to the holiday, just a reduced breakfast. The server said they had some precooked omlette, sauage and bacon in the kitchen. Otherwise we totally served ourselves to coffee, minimal selection of pastry, bagels and toast. There was cold cereal, yogurt, apples, oranges and bananas.
I wrote a comment on the small comment card you can pick up in the reception area. Never received any kind of response.
But, OK, we'll give them another chance.
For my birthday the following March we booked the same wonderful room. Enjoyed another pricey but delicious evening meal.
And discovered that the breakfast was just as bad.
The main difference between the two breakfasts was that the second time was in a banquette room with the precooked items available in a steam table. They had added French toast and pancakes, also in steam tables. There was no cooked to order anything. The pastry was typical grocery store. But we were served our intial cup of coffee and pineapple was available.
This time I wrote to the management expressing my dissappointment with the "Breakfast" part of their B&B. Again, no response.
There will not be a third visit.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonnaPhiladelphia
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Someone should ask the Ambler Inn management what they desire to be? ....A wedding mill, or a B&B that has the interest of its customers at heart? My recent stay at the Inn during the Memorial Day Weekend 2008 was a dissapointment to say the least! My wife and I booked the Morgan suite for three nights (about $900) for a romantic getaway. What we got was second rate service, and a culinary experience that could only be described as dismal. Someone at the Inn needs to let its customers know that this "wonderful 12 acre B&B" is adjacent to a noisy 4 lane highway, and the cacauphony from the weddings will be your constant companion throughout your stay. Stay away from this place unless you like continuous interruption from drunken guests, barking dogs, traffic noise, and bag pipes! And.. the dining is certainly an experience. Sunday evening, as my wife and I were finishing our dinner entrees (about 9:40pm), we were greeted by the sounds of vacuuming, and the view of wait staff removing the table cloths, and literally pushing us out the door. I might also mention that my appetizer was tasteless, my entree was overcooked, and, the coffee with dessert was wonderfully tepid. I really couldn't wait for the experience to end!
But, there was still one more special touch in store for us on Monday morning, the day of our departure. You see, the cleaning staff had thoughtfully, and conveniently set our room alarm clock for 7:00 am to insure us that we didn't miss our 11:00 am checkout! Needless to say, we will NOT be coming back to the Ambler Inn again!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank wlc12550
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Just returned from spending our ten year anniversary overnight at this hotel.We checked in and the lady at the desk pointed the way and said our room was in the building over there we could park in front of it which was the Thomas Wilson house.

We got our bags and entered the building and were greated with a dinning area with left over food and dishes all over including the so called living room area with more leftover dishes and food scraps and pieces of pie half eaten and left behind.We saw no one when we entered or when we left to go to the resturaunt for dinner.
No defined hostess station for dinner as we entered and stood around till someone at the bar went and found a waitress.Dinner was so ..so and ran 170.00 with tip.
No matches for the oil candels in the room hot tub ,the bed sank in the middle at least10'-12' .

The windows we thought we could open and get a nice breeze but one was missing a screen.The air conditioner was loud and hard to sleep with it running.

Breakfast ...well we walked over and after looking around found a back room with 12 tables set.Only 2 out of 12 tables with salt and pepper shakers . After helping our selves to some coffee pot left out ,a girl finnaly showed up and took our order food was average.

People who rave about this place really need to go to Mexico and see how so called third world people treat you like a king.They have it all over this place.......Don't waist your time here!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank llovebirds
Reviewed April 22, 2008

The JAI is my usual hotel when I visit family in this area, and I have never had a bad experience here. Pick the right room, in one of the beautifully restored old barns and houses dotted around the site, and you will discover real comfort. Rooms are bright, airy, large and spotless, and there is a real sense of relaxation. The restaurant fare is fabulous, with exceptionally high quality ingredients and presentation. Breakfasts are, er, extensive (as you'd expect in America!). The bar area is nicely dark and welcoming, and even smokers are welcome! Rooms close to the road (eg, the John Roberts House) can suffer from traffic noise, but those in for example the Thomas Wilson are extremely quiet and look over the woods at the back of the site. When booking, the staff make every effort to match available rooms to your requirement and, during your stay, are attentive and helpful. There is quite a good mall nearby (the Montgomerie), as well as a very cheap discount electrical store opposite a children's karting track and crazy golf pitch. The JAI has an arrangement with the local LA Fitness gym which is also nearby. Altogether, a wonderful base from which to explore the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2008

My new employer booked me here for 2 nights during my orientation, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was warm and welcoming, and extremely clean and comfortable. Breakfast is included and the food is wonderful. If you need to stay somewhere close to Philadelphia, this is highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Wales
Hampton Inn Doylestown
Hampton Inn Doylestown
#2 of 2 in Warrington
Courtyard Philadelphia Montgomeryville

Been to Joseph Ambler Inn? Share your experiences!