“Local gem getting lazy.”
Review of Joseph Ambler Inn

Joseph Ambler Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 North Wales B&B and Inns
North Wales, PA
“Local gem getting lazy.”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have dined at the Joseph Ambler Inn many times, and I would recommend the restaurant to anyone. It also appears to be a lovely place to have a wedding and reception. But, I stayed in two King rooms and was very disappointed. The first was on the third floor in what was originally the attic. The bed was comfortable, and the Bathroom was clean, but the A-frame ceilings make you feel claustrophobic. Not sure how you would bring substantial luggage around the tight corners on the tiny staircase leading to the third floor. The second night, I requested a different room, and the woman at reception, who was very nice, obliged. The first room was disgusting. Sheets that were seemingly used, and pillows that were stained. It was so revolting that she moved me immediately to a room accross the hall. If you could get past the carpet, which very badly needs a major deep cleaning, the walls in very bad need of a coat of paint, and the dresser mirror, which could not have been cleaned since the summer began, you will be pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the bathroom. The tv's are inadequate. I know many would suggest that this should be of no concern in a B&B, but this is the 21st Century, after all, and many of the guests are corporate. The free full breakfast and free wifi is a terrific benefit, and overall the stay was not terrible. I like clean rooms, and the Jos Ambler Inn disappointed mightily in this case.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank annuitize

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband and I were just married at Joseph Ambler Inn on July 16th, 2011. Every single staff member we spoke to was friendly, courteous, and attentive to our needs. The Event Coordinator, Wendy, was so helpful with all of my questions in the wedding planning process. Our day-of coordinator, Carol, was fabulous and made sure that everything went very smoothly. The property is gorgeous! Even though it is on a busy road, you cannot hear or see much traffic from the restaurant, rooms, or patio.

The food at the cocktail hour and reception was the best! Most of my guests had clean plates and we have received many compliments about how delicious everything was that day. The staff was even able to accommodate two vegan meals and a gluten free meal.

I stayed in a room with my bridesmaids the night before the wedding and with my new husband on our wedding night, and the accommodations were great. The rooms are old style, but modernized. We got married at 11:30 AM, so we had to begin getting ready at 6! The kitchen and reception staff were able to box up breakfast for us on the morning of the wedding so that we could eat in our room for no extra charge. On the day after the wedding, the included breakfast provided at the restaurant was tasty.

Joseph Ambler Inn really made it very easy to plan our wedding and was a great value for the price. We could not have asked for a more perfect day. We will definitely be back in the future, probably to celebrate our anniversary!

Room Tip: Call and ask for whatever you need, they will try very hard to accommodate your request!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We got married at the Joseph Ambler Inn in May, 2011. The grounds are so beautiful, the staff is amazing, the food is excellent and the rooms are great! I would recommend Joseph Ambler to anyone looking for somewhere to get married, having a 5 star quality meal or looking for a nice place to stay for the weekend. We will definitely return as future customers!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My son was married on July 2 in a nearby town and we had friends and family from Massachusetts to Virginia to Memphis all converge on the Joseph Ambler Inn. We filled one whole house, and had a number of rooms in other buildings on the property. (My "value" rating is based on the fact that we had a good group rate.) The grounds were so beautiful and restful, and many of us sat out on the restaurant's patio for hours, day and night. We had the rehearsal dinner there and were pleased with the food, and loved having cocktails on the patio. Several in our group ate dinner in the restaurant and said that the food there was delicious. The morning breakfast was fine, and the day-after-the wedding breakfast was very good. The rooms had the appeal of an old-time inn, with many modern amenities - each room was different, some a bit quirky! Many (most) of the guests were family and friends on our side, and we had a wide range of ages represented. I had the task of making sure that each room was suited to its occupants - something that I would not have even thought about doing until I was contacted by Keenan, the Inn Manager. He and I talked and emailed many times over a couple of months and when we arrived he sat down with me and went over every room and every guest! We had some elderly folks - he personally lowered some of the beds for them! Everyone on the staff was wonderful to us, and went out of their way to make us all comfortable. If some things did not deserve an "excellent" rating at first, someone was there to help fix it! We could not have been happier, and we felt like we were leaving friends as we drove away on Monday.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms are accessible by stairs only. Tell them your needs and they will jump through ho...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 24, 2011

On June 18, 2011, my family and friends all gathered at the JAI for my wedding. We couldn't have been happier with what the Inn had to offer. The guest suites were fit for a king,not to mention the free breakfast we received in the morning which was absolutely fabulous! Our wedding coordinator, Meg, couldn't have been more helpful the day of the wedding. The JAI has a special place in me and my husbands' hearts. It's quaint, romantic, and the food is to die for! You shouldn't pass up an opportunity to stay at the JAI.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Joseph Ambler Inn, in March and as beautiful as it looked on the website, it was disappointing when we actually saw the place. The grounds were under renovation so there were many places on the grounds you just couldn't go; but additionally we found the rooms to be very small and in real need of updating. Carpets that were threadbare and stained, (our carpet was so dirty we had to call the front desk and asked to have it swept before we put our luggage down!) bathrooms that provided sparse or dim lighting, no place for toiletries, old televisions, but most disturbing, were the old fashion room keys which in this day and age are not only cumbersome, but dangerous, since they can easily be duplicated. We also noticed dirty linens sitting out on the hallway floor and left there for hours.

Service at the restaurant was extremely slow, and for a place that prides itself on "fine dining" my steak which I ordered medium rare came out like shoe leather! To be fair, as soon as I mentioned it to the server, it was wisked away, and after a short wait another piece was brought out that was cooked to perfection. But overcooking steak is a rookie error that you just don't expect at a restaurant of this level!

The wine list is fairly extensive, but when I chose a red wine I was surprised when it was served in a white wine glass. When I asked about it, the server looked truly puzzled! When I directed her to look at some of the other diners who were drinking red wine from the appropriate glass, she did take the wine back and returned with it in the correct stemware. Again, another rookie error!

I would classify our stay as very "hit or miss"! Our visit seemed to miss the mark on quite a few points.... some were small points, but after racking up so many negatives they're hard to overlook.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bodaciouscass
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My daughter’s wedding arrangements were simply fantastic with about 20 family members & bridal party staying at the Joseph Amber Inn in PA on Friday night for the rehearsal dinner and 90 guests Saturday for the ceremony. I had a total of 42 room and ~78 of the 90 stayed the night for a send off breakfast Sunday morning. All of the family, friends and in-laws were extremely happy with the accommodations.
The grounds are simply beautiful. The staff was competent, friendly and did everything possible to assure a truly joyous occasion.
Bob Corbo
Father of the Bride

Room Tip: Just ask the staff for any requests or preferences
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Homewood Suites by Hilton Doylestown
Hampton Inn Doylestown
Hampton Inn Doylestown
#2 of 2 in Warrington

Been to Joseph Ambler Inn? Share your experiences!