“Not just grapes!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 North East B&B and Inns
Florida
“Not just grapes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We selected the Grape Arbor B & B on a recommendation from my brother-in-law who lives nearby. Their are two brick homes that are unassuming but immediately appealing in their classical style. We stayed in the main house, the Concord Suite and the Steuben. The first room was large and typically comfortable with colorful, light décor. The bed was comfortable and there was a reading area! The bathroom was small and the toiletries minimal, not as impressive as some other places I've been. Our kids a small room with a daybed and another full-sized bedroom htat shared a hallway and a large full bath-perfect for a family accomodation. In the hall was a hot beverage station and downstairs cold drinks were available as well as fresh cookies! Peggy greeted us and was unobtrusive. Both breakfasts were delicious, with fresh fruit, kitchen baked bread and muffins, and served in a pretty Victorian dining area. The rate was reasonable and we'll retuning again when visiting relatives and fir a winery road trip! Nearby are over 20 wineries!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms were quiet. There is a little courtyard, too!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our first visit to a B&B and we were impressed! The location was perfect to visit the Lake Erie Wineries, which was the purpose of our trip. We awoke to a delicious aroma each morning and breakfast was fabulous! Our sleeping room was spacious with a comfortable bed. The fresh homemade cookies were a nice treat in the afternoons. A relaxing, comfortable stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the Grape Arbor in mid April, 2013. We went for a short vacation. The B & B was very nice. Our suite had a sitting room, bedroom and a jacuzzi tub.The owners were friendly, the bed was comfortable and the breakfasts were very good. There are many wineries in the area, but if you are not into wine, there is little to do. We drove to Niagara Falls for a day. It was under 2 hours away. As mentioned by others, there are a number of trains going by, but they did not bother our sleep at all. A nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JTS62
peghauser, Owner at Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit! Usually we can suggest various activities in the area for visitors to try, depending on their individual interests; I hope that you return and we can direct you to some little known but fun things to do!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have never written a review on anything before, but I was so appalled by our visit to the Grape Arbor B&B, I couldn't help but share the experience. My husband and I traveled from Upstate NY to Grape Arbor last weekend for a relaxing getaway. What a terrible experience! We had purchased a Groupon for a 2-night stay, and we were very excited for our first B&B experience. A couple days before our stay, I had called Grape Arbor just to confirm our reservation, since it had been a few months since I made it and we were traveling from out of state. Innkeeper Peggy called me back and was so rude on the phone, that should have been our first sign to stay away!!! Her response was "um yeah, we sent you an email last week confirming your reservation, and nothing has changed". I had never received the email and later found it in my junk mail, which now I realize is exactly where it belonged! Even if I had seen the email, was it too much to ask just to confirm the reservation over the phone?? I have never heard someone so put out over nothing.

The day we traveled to Grape Arbor, I received a call just before we got there that my dad, who is battling stage 4 cancer, was admitted to the hospital with dangerously low blood levels. I tell you this because when we arrived at Grape Arbor, I informed Peggy that we may be leaving a day early due to this, and she was extremely rude and cold. I didn't expect to be fallen all over by any means, but she was so uncompassionate it was almost disturbing. Her response to me telling her we may have to leave early was "if you have to", with all the attitude you could imagine. Mind you, we had already paid for both nights. Peggy was clearly very put out over the change of plans, and I'm still trying to figure out why. I told Peggy that we may have to cancel our massages which we had scheduled for the next day, and she responded by saying their massage therapist (who was excellent, btw) travels 45 mins to Grape Arbor, and she acted like she couldn't cancel the appt., even though it was the day before. She made us feel so bad we ended up paying for the massage even though we werent sure if we'd be there the next day to enjoy it. We ended up leaving the next day just after our massage. When we told Peggy we were leaving and that unfortunately there was just a lot going on this weekend, she responded by saying "there's a lot going on for everyone". Talk about compassion!! Of course, Peggy sweetened up for a second and said she would make a note in our file that we left early and would give us a discount next time we came. HA! Don't bother, you couldn't pay us to come back!!

As for the B&B itself, it was very outdated and I felt like I had fallen into the Twilight Zone. I assume most B&B's are old fashioned, but I'm talking gaudy flower wallpaper, old flower bedspreads, and a TV from the 80's. The town of North East was also very antiquated, although the people we encountered in town were very welcoming and kind. There just wasn't much to do in the area, so don't expect much excitement unless you plan on traveling out of town during your stay. I will say, there is a cute little wine shop in town and the woman behind the counter was a sweetheart. We didn't have a chance to visit any of the wineries, but there several small ones very close to Grape Arbor if this is something you are interested in.

As for the one breakfast we had, some of the food was great and some was terrible. The ginger bread, cranberry rolls, and fruit were excellent. The main courses left much to be desired. I ordered the strata (eggs and veggies, similar to a quiche or souffle), and it was watery and tasteless. My husband got the waffles which were tasteless, burnt, and hard as hockey pucks. His bacon was also overcooked to the point he could barely eat it, and he is one of the least picky eaters imaginable! So no stellar reviews in this regard, either. We did have a decent meal at Johnny B's restaurant which is in walking distance from Grape Arbor. It was more of a diner though, so don't expect anything too fancy.

All in all, our experience at Grape Arbor was terrible and I certainly don't recommend it to anyone. I read other reviews raving about other Innkeepers- maybe if you can steer clear of Peggy, you might have a better experience.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jmrf3221
peghauser, Owner at Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We are certainly sorry that your experience here was not a good one. We cannot please everyone, although we try, and certainly the unfortunate circumstances surrounding your trip made for a stressful time.

We make every effort to confirm the details of a reservation both at reservation and prior to arrival so that there are no questions or concerns before you make your trip.

We do understand that guests plans can change, and we try to be flexible and accommodate all requests to the best of our ability.
Ashland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was the first Bed and Breakfast my wife and I experienced. The room we had was recently remodeled but had great country caracter to it. The bed was extra comfortable and our seperate sitting room very homelike. Our private bath was clean, fresh and functional. We had our own refrigerator, microwave and coffee service. The morning breakfast was beyond deluxe with home muffins and breads, freash fruit dishes and cassolers that were very tasty and filling. We would highly recommend this establishment and we will be going back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here and would be happy to see you return!
New Brighton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful refreshing 2-night stay in North East, PA at the Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast. Being first time B & B people, we didn't know what to expect, we're hooked!! The Grape Arbor was equipped for comfort and convenience, it was so cute and a very clean Inn in the heart Pennsylvania wine country. We purchased a 2-night Wine Tour package on Groupon. Grape Arbor had amazing homemade breakfast, helpful & friendly staff (Michelle & Amanda, your help and service was appreciated - both of you are as sweet as muffins). We stayed in the Merlot Suite which has a lovely king size bed, spacious bathroom, and separate entrance, a separate sitting room with sofa, love seat, TV, VCR/DVD, Wi-Fi, & small fridge. The homemade breakfast was incredible and I asked for the recipes, no secrets, they gladly gave me a copy. The morning started off with a friendly welcoming smile. Our inviting table was ready, coffee or tea ready to serve, with a different muffin and bread waiting. The breakfast also included fresh fruit and two different choices for the meat and egg person or the waffle and pancake person. The Wine Tour package was a nice surprise. Our Groupon included vouchers for wine tours and tastings at Arrowhead Winery and Lakeview Winery - Lakeview is a must! The owners went above and beyond to give us a Class A tour and education on wine making and its art. The wines of this area are wonderful and worth taking a few bottles home. We started in New York which was only a few miles East of North East. We stopped at 10 different wineries and our favorites were North Pointe, Lakeview and South Pointe Mazza. The owners of Lakeview gave us a great map and showed many other great wineries and restaurants to visit during our stay at North East Pa. Of course there were too many, so we'll have to go back. :) We would highly recommend the Grape Arbor Inn and North East, PA for a relaxing or romantic get-away! Recommendations: because it’s not the peak season many restaurants and businesses had winter hours. Even the wineries had limited hours and days. We planned many stops along our route and there were many businesses closed because of winter hours. We stayed Sunday and Monday and it seemed these days had the most businesses closed. Rizzo's and Johnny B's in North East were great places to eat. Casual dress. Thanks to Peggy and all the great people we met on our 2 day get away. And thanks to our Julz for this great surprise! Love you precious!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The entire staff enjoyed your visit, and would love for you to return and see our countryside at another time of year!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from my first B&B experience, I'm probably spoiled from visiting others in the future. This was such a cool experience for our anniversary weekend. I honestly believe the presence of snow was the cherry on top of a great weekend. Let me address some things I saw in others' posts.

Yes, there are trains... No, they are not loud. You hear the occasional train horn but it is not something that would even wake the lightest sleeper (I know this because I traveled with one!). The host, Pam, was very hospitable and asked on numerous occasions how were enjoying our stay. Now some things I agree with from other posts... The breakfasts are second to none. I mean, don't make any lunch plans. Everything is homemade and it tastes as such. Amazing. The two cats are extremely friendly and actually made it seem more like home.

We stayed in the Niagara room which suited our needs well. However, when (not if) we return one day, I will probably splurge a bit and go for one of the rooms with a fire place and jacuzzi.

Oh, and did I mention that you're located directly in the middle of some awesome wineries? If you're looking for a weekend away, Grape Arbor is great option.

• Stayed February 2013
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
The Spencer Hotel and Spa
#1 of 6 in Chautauqua
Wingate by Wyndham Erie

Been to Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!