“OK food, terrible service”
Review of CrayZ Parrot

CrayZ Parrot
Ranked #18 of 25 Restaurants in North East
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“OK food, terrible service”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

My family visited here while vacationing in the North East area, At first blush the CrayZ Parrot seems like a great place - overlooking Lake Erie, large beer list, mellow music playing. But as soon as our server arrived I knew we were headed for some trouble. She seemed confused while taking our orders, especially when my father ordered an Arnold Palmer. After she took our orders she came back and asked if he wanted alcohol in the Arnold Palmer "because that's what the bar wanted to know." Of course, an Arnold Palmer is a non-alcoholic drink, so my father had to explain to her how to make one.

We ordered conch fritters as an appetizer and my father ordered soup with his halibut, both to come out before the meals. They never arrived. After about a 25 minute wait our server (who had been out to see us several times already) came with the meals and we reminded her of the conch and soup order. She seemed confused again and said she would have to go back to the kitchen. My father cancelled the soup order but we decided to keep the conch order because we really like conch fritters.

I ordered the jerk chicken breast dinner with smashed potatoes. What I got was two decent-sized but thin breasts with good, spicy jerk seasoning. However, the sides were disappointing: five baby carrots sauteed in some sweet glaze and about 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes. In other words, the sides were all out of proportion to the entree.

My wife ordered the filet and my father ordered the smothered halibut, and both of them seemed happy with their meals.

Oh, wait, you were wondering about those conch fritters? They didn't come out until the end of the meal. And, unfortunately, they were consistent with the other reviews of them here - balls of dough with tiny pieces of conch served with some sort of mayonnaise sauce.

We skipped desert and got out of there - from start to finish it took 2 hours for a pretty simple dinner. (Fortunately, we didn't have a runin with the owner as some others on TripAdvisor have had.)

I think this restaurant could be so much more than it is, but the service needs to be improved.

I would recommend skipping the CrayZ Parrot in favor of Freeport Restaurant just down the road - Freeport has so much more to offer with great service.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank MichaelS1970

Cambridge Springs
“Great Views of Sunset, Don't Be in a Hurry....”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Been here a few times over the years, and it's always an interesting experience... Sometimes getting waited on takes a while, and then the food comes promptly, or it can be visa versa... They definitely have some good menu items, but overall it's so-so.... But as they say, it's all about location, location, location!!! On a nice evening, you CANNOT beat the view and sunset, so overall it's worth a visit if you're not stressed by time..... Can't speak about any "conflicts", as we're never had that happen.... Locals hang at the small bar, so it can't be all that bad.... If you have one of the local BOGO cards, it's a better value, no doubt....

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank CharlieB24
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Dinner with friends”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

After spending the day at Chautauqua, N.Y., we stopped here for dinner and ate outside on the patio overlooking Lake Erie. It was a beautiful evening and the view was beautiful. I ordered the Prime Rib(smaller portion)rare, baked potato and cooked baby carrots. A small tossed salad also came with the dinner. My husband wasn't that hungry, so ordered the Nachos and the other couple ordered seafood. All of our meals were excellent and our server was very good. I would definetly return to the CrayZ Parrot.

1 Thank Barbara R
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Owner is awful- will yell if you complain!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I've never seen a more unprofessional owner in my life! Our food was terrible- I left hungry and when our server lost our debit card the owner actually got in our faces and raised his voice! He had the guts to tell us a missing debut card wasn't a big deal! I've also never had a worse crab crake. I would never recommend this place to any one!

9 Thank Keri W
Shelbyville
“Needs new ownership”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We went to this place 8 years ago on vacation and it was great so we went there yesterday while in the area again. It was absolutely awful. We were there for lunch for 2 hours. The owner was rude and raising his voice when it was brought to his attention. It was the first time ever that I did not leave a tip and to top it all 60 dollars later we were still hungry bc the food was terrible.

5 Thank Rainee15