“Good food at a reasonable price, inattentive staff”

Freeport Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in North East
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband and I ate here for breakfast and dinner while in North East wine tasting. Our Inn Keepers recommended it, as well as people at the wineries. It gets busy for dinner on Fridays and Saturdays, so you might need reservations. There is also a lot of locals that frequent this restaurant. This is definitely not a tourist spot. They were packed when we got there Friday night, but we only waited about 15 minutes for a table, no reservations. This is a casual restaurant with a homestyle cooking menu. We sat at our table for about 10 minutes before anyone even took our drink order. The waitress walked past us several times looking at us, but never greeted us or took our drink order. When we finally ordered drinks, we noticed they sat on the bar fora long time while the waitress kept walking past them. Just as my husband was about to go pick them up, the waitress saw him get up so she picked up our drinks and brought them to us. My husband and I both ordered prime rib for dinner and it was perfectly cooked and delicous. The au jus was mouth watering and the gravy for the potatoes was also delicious. We ordered peanut butter pie and rice pudding for dessert. The pie was to die for, but the pudding was awful. The rice was dry and chalky and the pudding was tasteless. In fairness though, the waitress warned me it wasn't that good. For breakfast the next day, I ordered a ham breakfast and he ordered biscuits and gravy. They smoke their own meats and make their own sausage. So my ham and his sausage gravy were amazing, but the biscuits were way too sweet for a savory dish. On the day we left, we went there again for breakfast. Our waitress took our drink orders, then I watched her pass off the tray with our drinks several times to other waitresses who took them back into the kitchen and walked around with them. Weird. Then our waitress went behing the bar to cover for the bartender. After about 15 minutes, we asked another waitress to help us. We finally got our drinks and placed our order after being there for about 15 minutes. I ordered eggs benedict. The hollandaise was delicious, but they hard boiled the egg instead of poached. Then, the hostess is pretty flighty. She flits around the restuarant and doesn't cover the entrance, so people come in and stand there and wait until she can be found. All in all, they have great tasting home style food at great prices, but the staff (depending on who you get as a waitress) is disorganized, scatter brained, and inattentive.

1  Thank chynook73

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We ate lunch at the Freeport Restaurant on our way to Erie to visit a friend. It's an old fashioned restaurant--a counter with stools and a few rooms off to the side and back. There were many locals there and many seniors, but not just seniors...all ages were there. The menu is diverse and they have daily specials. They seem to be known for their pies. Yellow perch is the fish of choice in the area and they do that several ways. You can go in and just get a hot dog or a hamburger. But they also have full meals from soup to nuts. The service was excellent and the restrooms were super clean. The host seemed to know everyone in the restaurant except us! The fish sandwich was very good...not greasy and the homemade fries were really nicely done. My husband had a chicken sandwich and he finished every bit of it. When we go back to Erie, we would certainly stop here again.